16 votes
13.95%
6 votes
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
18.60%
8 votes
Parasite
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I left the chatroom last night when Parasite won for Best Director which left me really disappointed, and then I saw that the movie won Best Picture and that just left me disgusted. Best International film, okay, but Best Picture, too? That's pushing it. 1917 and Once Upon were both robbed, and so were both of those movies' directors. The Academy sure loves to pull upsets out of left field. Next year, I'll be voting for the least likeliest of the front-runners to win, that's been the case over the last 3 Oscars at least.

I know I am not of the popular opinion regarding Parasite (most of you seem to love it). Again, I thought it was a good, not great, film. However, the ending left me unsatisfied and disappointed. I get the message of the film and how the economic classes interact (the rich looking down on the poor), but the film's execution during that final act was not as I expected and did not go down well with me. I was expecting more of an impact from it, but I did not feel any impact. Just a 'whatever' feeling. I gave it a rating of 3 out of 5 stars for that reason. The same thing I said about Marriage Story. On the other hand, Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917 , Jojo Rabbit, and The Irishman left me satisfied, some more than others; the most powerful of the bunch being Joker followed closely by 1917 and Once Upon. Ford V Ferrari served its purpose but I found it be just an ordinary film with nothing special. Little Women I despised. Left me bored and underwhelmed. I suppose those kinds of movies are not my cup of tea at all.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Just topic, really. Fargo and Get Shorty are more about vibe than anything, so it makes some sense that you could create stories in that general universe, and Westworld the film obviously failed to explore its concept to anywhere near its full potential.

It's a little harder to picture what an extended Parasitic universe might look like, I think. I'm definitely not ruling it out, but I think maybe the difficulty curve on this one is a little harder. I guess we'll find out, or at least, we'll find out whether we'll find out.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
2017 La La Land is the clear front runner and is even announced as winner, until there's a "mistake" and it goes to Moonlight. Has the crowd gasping.

2018 Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri is favored the whole damn time and is winning tons of awards (I believe anyways) then bam Shape of Water wins out of nowhere (I actually didn't mind this one). Has the crowd gasping.

2019 Roma is definitely going to be the first foreign film to win Best Picture. Even it's competition is super weak. Out of left field comes Green Book. Has the crowd gasping.

2020 1917 is one of the biggest favorites in a long time to win for Best Picture, certainly no way it can lose, even after Parasites director wins best director, because there's been so many splits. Parasite wins and this has the crowd gasping.

I've learned to not be surprised with the outcome of the final award, which has fleeced 3 out of 4 films which were possibly better. I only saw that because I haven't seen Parasite.

La La Land or Moonlight, it's a toss up. I didn't like either of them to begin with. I was a little disappointed The Favourite didn't win whichever year that was nominated in. Green Book is probably the lamest winner since Shakespeare in Love. Even Crash was better.

The only reason I picked 1917, was because of BP normally goes to an English movie and Oscars do like to play it safe. But if I had to pick really the best movie, it was no doubt Parasite.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Does Parasite need to be in Black and White though?

Suspect's Reviews

Nope... Leave the originals alone!!

I was disappointed, in fact, annoyed... When Toy Story 4 win the animated award. That movie was probably the weakest of the series. And the documentary.... That was just tokenism coz it was produced by the Obamas!

My ranking of the ones I've seen:

The Irishman
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
Marriage Story
Joker
Parasite

Of those, I only loved 1917. Next 3 I liked, but didn't love. Last 2 I hated. Controversial, but it's simply my opinion.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I was disappointed, in fact, annoyed... When Toy Story 4 win the animated award. That movie was probably the weakest of the series.
I was more PO'ed that Weathering with You wasn't even nominated.

I think that came out after the nomination cut off date. But not a 100% sure on this. Wasn't it a mid Jan release?

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

I think that came out after the nomination cut off date. But not a 100% sure on this. Wasn't it a mid Jan release?
The wide release did, but it had award-qualifying limited releases beforehand, though it looks like the Academy may have altered the rules on that.

I left the chatroom last night when Parasite won for Best Director which left me really disappointed, and then I saw that the movie won Best Picture and that just left me disgusted. .

Welcome to the human race...
I'm intrigued that it was actually submitted as Japan's entry for Best International Feature (and thus would have had to go up against the likes of Parasite or Pain and Glory). Wonder if that had anything to do with it not getting considered for Animated Feature (I didn't think it was good, but it probably deserved a nomination over How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World).