Best Sequel of All-Time

Tools    

i'd have to say either aliens or silence of the lambs. i haven't seen godfather yet but i'm sure i'd really like it.

I have to agree with you there Zephyrys and I must say wholeheartedly!!!
Like you said most of the sequels don't have the same kind of quality about them as the originals which is why originals are "original" after all right?
As far as Godfather II is concerned if one didn't watch the original, he could be forgiven for thinking that he saw a completely different film altogether(even though of course it is a sequel to the original Godfather the quality of the sequel is so good that it gets you interested in the story all over with the same "gripping feeling" about it like its predecessor!! That's at least true I believe for those who are lovers of the films about the mafia and the way it operates

terminator 2
police academy 2
naked gun 2 1/2
beverly hills cop 2
austin powers: spy who shagged me

Hannibal as a sequel to Silence of the Lambs. I have a hard time thinking of SOTL as a sequel to MANHUNTER. Different directors, actors, characters. The only thing they had in common was the "concept" of Hannibal Lecter. Cox's Lecter was barely in the movie--although I would have liked to see more of him.

Aliens is my second choice as best sequel.

I can pretend that things last.
I liked Indiana Jones Series(The 3rd one was the best obviously),Star Wars Series(ESB is the best),GodFather Series(Part 2 is the best).

I havent seen Toy Story at all.

Thats it as of now..more later.

Iron Eagle II - easily the best sequel.

MovieForums Extra
Yeah, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is also a very good one...incindentally, have you heard that a fourth one is being made?! Looks good

I would have to say Aliens. The first one was an excellent example of how you can use tension to play an integral role while not having too many special effects. (ie Aliens floating around the place).

And the second one was just pure action all the way. Exactly what people wanted to see. Hardcore Marines vs the Aliens. Boy was it good!! And the ending blew me away!!

Considering I saw Aliens first then Alien, it's still good by a long margin.

Terminator 2 was excellent also.

I don't think that this is the best sequel but its a good one: El Desperado. It's not as good as El Mariachi but it's one entertaining movie. Did you guys hear about the thrid movie of these: Once Upon A Time in Mexico(or something to that effect)

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I've never even heard of those two.

I'll take the usual, ma'am: Godfather pt. II, Bride of Frankenstein, Aliens, The Empire Strikes Back, Silence of the Lambs (I suppose if you count Manhunter as the original). But I must beg to differ on Terminator pt. II. I thought the first was better.

Lethal Weapon 2, for me, is the best of the series. Joe Pesci deserved an Oscar.

I thought Toy Story 2 was terrific, better than the first one even.

Faraway, So Close was a good flick, but not in the same league as its predecessor, Wings of Desire.

And I think it's quite obvious that Raiders of the Lost Ark is THE best in the Indiana Jones Trilogy, not Last Crusade.

And no Mark, Desperado isn't even in the same LEAGUE as El Mariachi. No bloody way.

Steve I know Desperado isn't in the same league as El Mariachi but it was a very entertaining movie.

I know this post has been pretty inactive for awhile, but have to throw my 2 cents in anyways...

I definately have to go with Godfather II. Some of you are a bit young to really appreciate it, but in a few years you'll love it. I saw it when I was younger, 13 or so, and really thought it was a so-so movie. I watched it again last year and was blown away. It's truly a remarkable film, even moreso when you consider that it's a sequel. I am in the minority on this one, but I thought III was great as well.

As for other sequels I definately have to go with Terminator 2 (the SE on the DVD rocks!) and Toy Story 2.

Hannibal is best sequel--

I consider SOTL the first Hannibal film due to SIR HOPKINS' ownership of the role

Well, I actually prefer ALIENS as best sequel but HANNIBAL is pretty good too, although now I suppose we will hear from all the GODFATHER II fans around here.

Steve N: HAVE YOU TWO LOST YOUR EVER-LOVIN MINDS? ROBERT DE NIRO IS A GOD!!!!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I think one movie that doesn't need to be shaded by the fact that the first one bombed, but M:I-2 is a good sequel to a bad movie.

I haven't seen aliens and the movie store I work at has it, but I can't seem to find it.

Toy Story 2 is a very good sequel, and just the fact that they refer back to the first one shows they are all about sequels that make since.

Empire Strikes Back is a definite good one, but who know's maybe Episode 2 will prove to be a competitor against it.

It's always sad when you see a movie and at the end it leaves you hanging, but you don't know if that means sequel or not, and sometimes for the heck of it they'll make one cause they ran out of ideas(Lady and the Tramp 2, Hunchback of Notre Dame 2, Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas, Back to the Future 3)

One I can't wait to see would have to be Jurassic Park 3, I mean so what it's got a new director its got an original cast member back. The previews for this look very good, but I hope it doesn't give away the good parts in that 2 minutes they are showing it to ya.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

So many good movies, so little time.
I just saw Manon of the Spring (1986) again which is the sequel to Jean de Florette (1986).

It was so good. Might be better than Godfather 2 as a sequel.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by uconjack
I just Manon of the Spring (1986) again which is the sequel to Jean de Florette (1986).

It was so good. Might be better than Godfather 2 as a sequel.
Manon des Sources is fantastic, yup, and possibly even better than Jean de Florette.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The whole time I was reading this thread, I was thinking of Manon des Sources. I think it compeletes the story arc in much the same way that Godfather II completes that story. Both are excellent.