My 30 Favorite 80's Movies

Tools    

Victim of The Night
As good as The Terminator is, I think this is one of the few times that the sequel is better than the original.
Nope.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#1.

Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Director: Steven Spielberg
Writers: Lawrence Kasdan (screenplay by), George Lucas (story by)
Cast: Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Paul Freeman
Genre: Action and Adventure
Runtime: 1 Hour and 55 Minutes
Rated PG

If you are looking for a great and exciting adventurous movie, this is the movie to watch and you got to love Indiana's sarcastic cocky attitude in these movies and makes the bad guys look like fools. Harrison Ford does an amazing job playing as Indy and makes this movie exciting. Also I want to say is, this movie has one of the best theme songs in cinema, imo.

"It's not the years, honey; it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones played by Harrison Ford

Great choice for #1.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was #1 on My Top 25 Action Movies list.

Pretty solid list. Pretty in Pink is the only film I don't like, everything else is either pretty great or a lot of fun. Can't Buy Me Love was one I loved as a teen but am afraid to revisit because I know it's not going to hold up for me and I'm happy with the memory of liking it. Raiders is my no. 1 of the 80's as well. Glad to see a Friday the 13th make it. Part 2 is my personal fav but the Final Chapter is a close second.

The trick is not minding
Wish E.T., Platoon, Amadeus, Dust in the Wind, The Thing and maybe Caddyshack could have found room on the list, but as it stands it’s pretty tight. Nicely done

Wish E.T., Platoon, Amadeus, Dust in the Wind, The Thing and maybe Caddyshack could have found room on the list, but as it stands it’s pretty tight. Nicely done
oh yes loved platoon one of my favorite war movies

30. The Breakfast Club (1985) Too Low
29. Ghostbusters (1984) Too Low - this is top 10
28. The Lost Boys (1987) Near Dark and Fright Night are better
27. A Christmas Story (1983) Too Low
26. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) Not Top Tier
25. Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (1985) Nope
24. The Karate Kid (1984) OK
23. Commando (1985) Hell No
22. Predator (1987) Hell Yes
21. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) OK
20. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) OK
19. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) OK
18. Heathers (1989) OK
17. Sixteen Candles (1984) OK
16. Can't Buy Me Love (1987) Too High
15. Pretty in Pink (1986) Too High
14. Beverly Hills Cop 2 (1987) Nope
13. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) Nope
12. RoboCop (1987) Too High
11. The Untouchables (1987) Meh
10. Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter (1984) Wuh???
9. Lethal Weapon (1987) There you go.
8. Back to the Future (1985) Too Low!
7. Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982) Too High Are you high Spiccoli?
6. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) OK
5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) NO
4. The Terminator (1984) Correct Answer
3. Die Hard (1988) Too high, but good.
2. Scarface (1983) Too high, but good.
1. Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Correct Answer

@MovieFan1988 Great list and countdown. The 80s was indeed an excellent time for movies. I see all the movies listed and lines from them start popping into my head, especially the funny ones. Some definitely would not go over if used today, or maybe the "Cancel Culture" will go after some. My favorite one that would definitely enrage them is from Beverly Hills Cop 2 where John Ashton's character saves the day by shooting a female killer about to kill Eddie Murphy's Foley character and just kind of gives a short laugh and simply says, "Women." I remember it got a huge laugh in the theater.

Another huge laugh for me that nobody else seemed to laugh at was in Sixteen Candles when Farmer Ted (Anthony Michael Hall) tells one upper-classman girl on the bleachers: "Nice manners, babe!" and a bigger guy sitting with them snaps his fingers at Ted and says, "Hey! She's totally serious, a**wipe!" That guy's reaction always cracks me up.

So many more to comment on but little time. Anyway, again, great list. Looking forward to the 90s list!

Victim of The Night
Ya know, I went back and watched Platoon a couple years ago and I actually thought it did not hold up very well. Very ham-fisted, particularly with its good and evil theme.

30. The Breakfast Club (1985) Too Low
29. Ghostbusters (1984) Too Low - this is top 10
28. The Lost Boys (1987) Near Dark and Fright Night are better
27. A Christmas Story (1983) Too Low
26. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) Not Top Tier
25. Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (1985) Nope
24. The Karate Kid (1984) OK
23. Commando (1985) Hell No
22. Predator (1987) Hell Yes
21. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) OK
20. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) OK
19. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) OK
18. Heathers (1989) OK
17. Sixteen Candles (1984) OK
16. Can't Buy Me Love (1987) Too High
15. Pretty in Pink (1986) Too High
14. Beverly Hills Cop 2 (1987) Nope
13. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) Nope
12. RoboCop (1987) Too High
11. The Untouchables (1987) Meh
10. Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter (1984) Wuh???
9. Lethal Weapon (1987) There you go.
8. Back to the Future (1985) Too Low!
7. Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982) Too High Are you high Spiccoli?
6. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) OK
5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) NO
4. The Terminator (1984) Correct Answer
3. Die Hard (1988) Too high, but good.
2. Scarface (1983) Too high, but good.
1. Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Correct Answer
lol High or Low it don't matter because this is more of an honest list then going by what's more popular. Oh yea at #10 lol, you can't go wrong with one of the things that made the 80's good which is horror movie slashers, since Friday the 13th is my most watched series from the 80's why the heck not make it #10, I enjoy the movies alot.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

@MovieFan1988 Great list and countdown. The 80s was indeed an excellent time for movies. I see all the movies listed and lines from them start popping into my head, especially the funny ones. Some definitely would not go over if used today, or maybe the "Cancel Culture" will go after some. My favorite one that would definitely enrage them is from Beverly Hills Cop 2 where John Ashton's character saves the day by shooting a female killer about to kill Eddie Murphy's Foley character and just kind of gives a short laugh and simply says, "Women." I remember it got a huge laugh in the theater.

Another huge laugh for me that nobody else seemed to laugh at was in Sixteen Candles when Farmer Ted (Anthony Michael Hall) tells one upper-classman girl on the bleachers: "Nice manners, babe!" and a bigger guy sitting with them snaps his fingers at Ted and says, "Hey! She's totally serious, a**wipe!" That guy's reaction always cracks me up.

So many more to comment on but little time. Anyway, again, great list. Looking forward to the 90s list!
I wish cancel culture would go away and learn to not watch it if it offends them. I don't see why they feel the need to ruin things for everyone else.

I highly recommend a VCR for you buddy!
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

I highly recommend a VCR for you buddy!
The VCR days for me are long time over , I no longer need to worry about tapes getting stuck in VCR and film coming out of the back of VHS tape when pulling it out

Victim of The Night
I wish cancel culture would go away and learn to not watch it if it offends them. I don't see why they feel the need to ruin things for everyone else.
Well, I mean, Sixteen Candles contains a straight-up rape for a laugh, so... maybe not so much cancel culture as, "Holy ****, did we think that was ok at some point?!"

Well, I mean, Sixteen Candles contains a straight-up rape for a laugh, so... maybe not so much cancel culture as, "Holy ****, did we think that was ok at some point?!"
Remind which joke that was because I totally don't remember that. I never, even before Cancel Culture, thought that rape jokes were funny. I know Jake (the guy Molly Ringwald is in love with) makes a comment about his own girlfriend and how she's drunk and he could "violate her ten different ways right now" or something like that. Is that what you're referring to?

Victim of The Night
Remind which joke that was because I totally don't remember that. I never, even before Cancel Culture, thought that rape jokes were funny. I know Jake (the guy Molly Ringwald is in love with) makes a comment about his own girlfriend and how she's drunk and he could "violate her ten different ways right now" or something like that. Is that what you're referring to?
No, I don't think that's particularly egregious since he doesn't do it, what he does do is give her to Anthony Michael Hall, who has sex with her while she's basically passed out, which is rape, and then she acts like it's ok and maybe even kind of a good thing because Hughes has serious issues. If someone a young woman didn't even know had sex with her while she was passed out drunk... I mean, there's not a lot of names for that.

T1 And T2 Judgement day are better then the other ones to be honest

I agree with GBG...I think Terminator 2: Judgement Day was better than The Terminator. I have to admit that it wasn't the story I was expecting from the sequel but it worked and the ending is absolutely heartbreaking.

I agree with GBG...I think Terminator 2: Judgement Day was better than The Terminator. I have to admit that it wasn't the story I was expecting from the sequel but it worked and the ending is absolutely heartbreaking.
i respect ur opinion!

The only movies I've seen you listed were E.T. and Platoon, they were alright movies