Suggestions for future countdowns

Tools    

You can't add a poll once the thread has been created, so it would be a new thread with a poll.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
That is 161 titles right there, without even getting into the question of whether Silent films made in other countries count as foreign language entries. I could see Parasite and four or five others from the past ten years or so added into that mix, but that gives you a baseline idea of MoFo's general knowledge and taste when it comes to foreign language films. Yes, "only" twelve non-English films made the refreshed Top 100 (Stalker, Seven Samurai, Spirited Away, Persona, Come and See, City of God, Andrei Rublev, Pan's Labyrinth, 8½, Akira, Ikiru, and Suspiria), but to say that means MoFo doesn't have a wide variety of support for foreign films is incorrect.
I think that The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West also qualify as foreign films on account of being Italian productions that just happen to star a handful of Americans in the lead roles. That'll lead to some interesting debates about what films do or do not qualify and why.

Actually the Leone Westerns were designed as multi-cultural affairs that would always be dubbed into multiple languages. I would not count them as foreign language. You can't even count them as Italian, strictly. They are filmed in Spain (except for OUATITW, which also has large scenes filmed in America), they are financed by German money, the crew is largely Italian, and the stars are from all over.

But if we get to that list, let the debate begin.

Welcome to the human race...
A fair point. I only ask because I thought that if Suspiria qualified as foreign-language then so did Leone's films.

In Suspiria Jessica Harper's character is American in the plot. Films that employ multiple languages, as in Alejandro Iñárritu's Babel, can be debated how much non-English there has to be for it to qualify. But to me Suspiria is clearly an Italian film with an American character in it. The Leone Westerns were specifically designed to be dubbed throughout the world.

But again, bring on the debate if/when we get there.

A fair point. I only ask because I thought that if Suspiria qualified as foreign-language then so did Leone's films.
Lots of Italian genre films from that era have the same issue. They often had American stars (and, I think, otherwise international cast as well), and actors used multiple languages when shooting. The end-product was then dubbed to English and Italian, but I have no idea if either counts as original. They're really weird in that regard (just like Vampyr which was shot in three languages).

The trick is not minding
If we’re going to look into foreign film countdown, I agree it’ll help to establish what would count. To make it simple, let’s go with non English films, or films in their native language as it were.
Silent films would be tricky for some, I expect, but should that be held against them because of the limitations of the time?
There were some great foreign films released from the 20’s such as Metropolis, The Golem, Battleship Potemkin among others.
What does everyone else think?

I think a German expressionist Silent Film is definitely German and in my book would count as a foreign language film, even if you watch it in another language with the dialogue cards translated into something other than German.

Technically I think I can add a poll to a thread after the fact, but only because I'm an All Powerful Admin and stuff.

But yeah, I'll start a new thread, if only so this one can stay open for related issues.

I love monster movies and want to suggest that as a list but that’s such a broad term. Would that include kaiju movies? What about serial killers? Those people are monsters.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
We have a lot of people from non-English speaking countries here, and I think their input on a "Foreign Films Countdown" would open our eyes to movies even for the many foreign language movie fans here.

Also, from my experience, when people finally get over the subtitles "issue", and see even one great foreign movie, they get "addicted" and keep discovering more. I'm constantly on the "Rate The Last Movie" thread, and we could have SO much more movie discussion if there's overlap in viewing.. If only one person has seen "Sult" for example, you're not gonna have a discussion.. And then, once you find what you like, you can further recommend and be recommended... I can say my eyes have been opened thanks to just a couple of movies listed.. I've even started watching more and more "newer" movies (despite my favorites being before my time) from other countries and have been introduced to some independent and unique stories with quality.

Also, compared to every other list, this would be something different, as opposed to decades and genres.

For clarity: a Foreign Films Countdown would fall under "genre" in this case, because "genre" means "anything that isn't decade" for poll purposes, at least.

Actually the Leone Westerns were designed as multi-cultural affairs that would always be dubbed into multiple languages. I would not count them as foreign language. ...
Good point and that's how I see it...I would say that the goal of doing a Foreign Language list is to make it unique and rewarding for those who participate.

If we’re going to look into foreign film countdown, I agree it’ll help to establish what would count. To make it simple, let’s go with non English films, or films in their native language as it were.
Agreed and it would also make it easier on the host.

Silent films would be tricky for some, I expect, but should that be held against them because of the limitations of the time?
There were some great foreign films released from the 20’s such as Metropolis, The Golem, Battleship Potemkin among others.
What does everyone else think?
One could say they aren't foreign language and like the Leone Westerns were often released 'dubbed' with English language title cards for various countries.

Good point and that's how I see it...I would say that the goal of doing a Foreign Language list is to make it unique and rewarding for those who participate.

Agreed and it would also make it easier on the host.

One could say they aren't foreign language and like the Leone Westerns were often released 'dubbed' with English language title cards for various countries.
Talking of dubbing... I was watching Mad Max the other day and I realised about 20 minutes in there was something wrong with the sound.
Checked the settings, and the DVD was auto-set to the dubbed version with American voiceovers
Weird.

Talking of dubbing... I was watching Mad Max the other day and I realised about 20 minutes in there was something wrong with the sound.
Checked the settings, and the DVD was auto-set to the dubbed version with American voiceovers
Weird.
Was this Fury Road? or the old original Mad Max (1979)?

Original 79.
For some reason they though that a dubbed version for American audiences was on the cards because of the Aussie accents

Original 79.
For some reason they though that a dubbed version for American audiences was on the cards because of the Aussie accents
That's weird, and I never knew there was a dubbed version. It could be because the original audio track was poor quality and so couldn't be heard well.

Not to throw another monkey in the wrench, but have you done a Top 100 Documentaries?

That said, I'm all for a Top 100 Foreign Films.

Tentative plan, since nobody has objected, is to start a poll either tomorrow or Thursday for people to choose between a Decade List and Something Else. Should be up for a week, maybe a week and a half.