The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken

Before anything else I just want to say that I have a newfound respect and appreciation for the hosts of every countdown before this one. Not that I didn’t respect them, nor have appreciation for what they’ve done before. It is just that now that I have experienced the task of putting one of these together I have the newfound respect and appreciation.

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to watch the films in preparation for this countdown. And a big thank you goes out to everyone who submitted a list. Also, thanks in advance to everyone (whether they were directly involved in the outcome of the results or not) for following along with the countdown.

Being a “victim” of Photobucket, I just want to say that I am very grateful to Yoda for helping out when it came to the photos that will be added to this. Thank you.

I also want to thank Citizen Rules for helping out in whatever way that he could. Thank you!!!

Some brief information regarding the countdown:

- To get things started today, only the one point films will be revealed

- The countdown itself will begin tomorrow (Monday, the 11th)

- Two films will be revealed everyday from number 100-11

- After that, one film will be revealed each day from number 10 – 4

- The last three films will be revealed on the final day

-The films will be revealed between 5-6 PM Central time during the week

-They will be revealed during the same hours as today (2-4 PM Central time) on the weekend

- There were 57 lists (9 partial) with a total of 276 films on those lists

- Ties were broken by the number of lists a film was on. Then, if necessary, a tie was broken by the film that placed higher on a list

I believe this will be happening over about 2 months (if my calculations are correct!). This was an excellent decade for films, and we have a very good variety that will be appearing on this list. Hopefully everyone checking this out today will keep coming back until the end.

100. The Body Snatcher
99. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
98. The Letter
97. King-Size Canary
96. The Uninvited

95. Education for Death
94. Detour
93. Waterloo Bridge
92. The Spiral Staircase
91. Ride the Pink Horse

90. Blithe Spirit
89. Le Corbeau
88. Easter Parade
87. Sands of Iwo Jima
86. Great Expectations

85. The Magnificent Ambersons
84. The Naked City
83. To Be or Not To Be
82. The Postman Always Rings Twice
81. Kiss of Death

80. Nightmare Alley
79. Black Narcissus
78. Now, Voyager
77. Key Largo
76. A Letter to Three Wives

75. Lifeboat
74. Rome, Open City
73. Scarlet Street
72. Gilda
71. Suspicion

70. The Suspect
69. Meshes of the Afternoon
68. Sullivan's Travels
67. All the King's Men
66. Yankee Doodle Dandy

65. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
64. Stray Dog
63. Heaven Can Wait
62. Beauty and the Beast
61. Portrait of Jennie

60. Dead of Night
59. The Pride of the Yankees
58. My Darling Clementine
57. The Wolf Man
56. Red River

55. Odd Man Out
54. Drunken Angel
53. Miracle On 34th Street
52. The Picture of Dorian Gray
51. I Walked with a Zombie

50. Sergeant York
49. Cat People
48. Meet Me In St. Louis
47. Leave Her to Heaven
46. The Devil and Daniel Webster

45. Mildred Pierce
44. The Lady from Shanghai
43. The Little Foxes
42. White Heat
41. Gaslight

40. How Green Was My Valley
39. The Ox-Bow Incident
38. The Red Shoes
37. The Philadelphia Story
36. Dumbo

35. Bambi
34. A Matter of Life and Death
33. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
32. Out Of the Past
31. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

30. Children of Paradise
29. The Killers
28. Letter From an Unknown Woman
27. Day of Wrath
26. Kind Hearts and Coronets

25. Late Spring
24. The Lost Weekend
23. Pinocchio
22. The Big Sleep
21. Brief Encounter

20. Fantasia
19. The Shop Around the Corner
18. Arsenic and Old Lace
17. Shadow Of a Doubt
16. The Best Years of Our Lives

15. Notorious
14. His Girl Friday
13. The Grapes of Wrath
12. Laura
11. The Great Dictator

10. Rebecca
9. Bicycle Thieves
8. Rope
7. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
6. Double Indemnity

5. It's a Wonderful Life
4. The Maltese Falcon
3. Citizen Kane
2. The Third Man
1. Casablanca

This Gun for Hire
(Frank Tuttle, 1942)

Five Graves to Cairo
(Billy Wilder, 1943)

You Gotta Stay Happy
(H. C. Potter, 1948)

Hideko the Bus-Conductor
(Mikio Naruse, 1941)

Night Train to Munich
(Carol Reed, 1940)

The Keys of the Kingdom
(John M. Stahl, 1944)

Words and Music
(Norman Taurog, 1948)

Buck Privates Come Home
(Charles Barton, 1947)

The Cat Concerto
(William Hanna & Joseph Barbera, 1947)

Jane Eyre
(Robert Stevenson, 1943)

Arch of Triumph
(Lewis Milestone, 1948)

Angel and the Badman
(James Edward Grant, 1947)

I know it won't say that the thread is updated if I just edited a post, but if you look at it now (and you have seen it before), you will see that the one point films have been added.

Jane Eyre was my #25. One of my favorite performances by Orson Welles.

Love that film strip photo Vamp, very cool! The other photos look great too. I can tell you put a lot of time and heart into this

Nice 1st pointers.

I'm the one who voted for The Keys of the Kingdom, very good film with a good hearted center character.

Some very good one-pointers there, looking forward to following this from the sidelines.

Yeah! I'm stoked for this Some damn fine 1 pointer choices by the our fellow MoFos. I'm not sure if I had any of those on my list. I'll go check.....
I saw a few of those before, but I think I will watch Night Train to Munich again. I saw it a long time ago. I have to see if the library has it.

And when I saw The Cat Concerto, the first thing that went through my mind was "I wonder if that is going to be that Tom & Jerry cartoon where he is playing the piano". And I was right.

Jane Eyre was my #25. One of my favorite performances by Orson Welles.

Love that film strip photo Vamp, very cool! The other photos look great too. I can tell you put a lot of time and heart into this
Thanks! And don't tell me you don't just love that shot that I used from Jane Eyre! I think it is fantastic. It has always been my favorite from the film.

Nice 1st pointers.

I'm the one who voted for The Keys of the Kingdom, very good film with a good hearted center character.
I've seen it and you're right it's a real good film and not well known either. It's about a kind hearted, yet maverick Catholic priest, (Gregory Peck) in improvised rural China. It's a good role for Gregory Peck as he has this quiet determination about him that made him both humble and yet able to do the right thing, under very hard circumstances.

If I keep writing this will be a review But yeah good choice!

...Thanks! And don't tell me you don't just love that shot that I used from Jane Eyre! I think it is fantastic. It has always been my favorite from the film.
I do!...The entire scene where Jane Eyre approaches Thornfield Hall is so moody and so stylish, that even though Orson isn't the director it's pretty much assumed that the staging of those scenes were his suggestions. It's very theatrical and Welles was a theatrical showman.

I haven't seen any of the 1 pointers and I've never even heard of most of them.
Yes you have, I'm almost sure I seen your rating of This Gun For Hire....With Alan Ladd as a hitman and Veronica Lake as the girl, does that sound familiar? It's one of my favorite noirs.

Night Train To Munich was my NO.25. Fun fast-paced espionage thriller with a great peformance by Rex Harrison. I believe this is the best film from director Carol Reed, though it's not as visually sound as his later work. Never a dull moment in it and there is nice dose of humour to even out the twisty suspense. Highly recommended to everyone who enjoys quick moving plot and some cool action sequnces.

Yes you have, I'm almost sure I seen your rating of This Gun For Hire....With Alan Ladd as a hitman and Veronica Lake as the girl, does that sound familiar? It's one of my favorite noirs.
It doesn't look familiar. The Noirs I watched were almost exclusively on the Noirs list. I looked it up and it looks very good though, I think I'd like to see it anyway. I always like Ladd and Lake.

This Gun For Hire is a decent enough noir.

The Keys of the Kingdom has been on my radar for quite a while, mainly because I'm interested in seeing Vincent Price's early dramatic roles.

Buck Privates Come Home

(Charles Barton, 1947) This one has to be GBGs, she's the only person on the site that likes Abbot and Costello. As far as I know and I'm pretty sure I remember her saying she was a fan of their movies.

Angel and the Badman

(James Edward Grant, 1947) This is one of my favorite John Wayne films, thanks to Gail Russell.

I haven't seen any of the 1 pointers and I've never even heard of most of them.
Have you really never seen The Cat Concerto
Colour me shocked!