VHS comedy era comedy Hall of fame III (1977-1989)

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Question...do you like Steve Martin films?
I like his early films?

But, why, pray tell, do you ask?

Well your nom's won't be anonymous like everyone else but you can enter if you wish
Thank you but I've seen all of them and I still don't have enough time to give. I considered it, would have nominated Trading Places and Caddyshack.

Holy crap -- you weren't kidding!! lol
Welcome to the Steve Martin HoF folks!

Alright, initial thoughts:

After Hours (1985) 1hr 38m dir Martin Scorsese My first attempt at this film a few years back wasn't a pleasant one. A rewatch in a recent HoF was an improvement. Curious to see how much more of an improvement occurs with this watch.

Annie Hall (1977) 1hr 33 m dir Woody Allen Don't think I've even seen this in its entirety, so should be an interesting watch.

Back to the Future (1985) 1hr 56m dir Robert Zemeckis Been a few decades since watching this and should be a very fun watch.

Blues Brothers(1980) runtime 2hr 28m dir John Landis Great film. Very happy to see it make it here.

Broadcast News (1987) 2hr 13m dir James L. Brooks Can't remember the last time I saw this. Perhaps when it first came out. Either way, gonna get to see it again.

Dirty Rotten Scounrels (1988) 1hr 50m dir Frank Oz And the first of the Martin films that I remember enjoying very much.

A Fish Called Wanda (1988) 1hr 49m dir Charles Crichton Not at the top of the Python side projects but a great comedy where Kevin Kline surprisingly steals the show.

The Jerk (1979) 1hr 44m dir Carl Reiner Martin #2 and his debut into films at his most outrageous. VERY cool!

Parenthood (1989) 2hr4m dir Ron Howard #3 Martin is a bit more restrained, and it's another that has been ages since I last seen it.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987) 1hr 33m dir John Hughes #4 pairs Martin up with John Candy quite brilliantly.

The Princess Bride 1hr 38m dir Rob Reiner I'm gonna say this now: This is going to be VERY high in my vote. A film I love to revisit.

Real Genius (1985) 1hr 46m dir Martha Coolidge Always got a kick out of this one and it's been far too long since I watched it.

When Harry Met Sally (1989) 1hr 36m dir Rob Reiner I remember being on the fence on this one. Should be exciting to see which way I tumble.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) 1hr 44m dir Robert Zemeckis Another great favorite of mine. Fantastic mix of cartoon and live action.

Quite the solid line up -- and a wonderful mix of comedic styles.

This has been awarded my Official YAY approval.

Thank you but I've seen all of them and I still don't have enough time to give. I considered it, would have nominated Trading Places and Caddyshack.
I was seriously considering Caddyshack as well as Animal House

My comments on our wonderful comedy noms. I won't give away which two are mine, at least I don't think I will

After Hours (1985)...I'm a big fan of Terri Garr and I nominated Young Frankenstein last time, so this might be mine......or not!

Annie Hall (1977) Well anybody who checks the review links at top of the page will know I love this film! So I probably nominated it, or maybe not!

Back to the Future (1985) I haven't seen this in ages, so maybe I nominated so I could watch it again, or not!

Blues Brothers (1980) Good ole Jim Belushi, I might have nominated this for nostalgia reasons, or not!

Broadcast News (1987) I've not heard of this, which might mean I'm lying and trying to fool you as it's really my nom, or not!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) Another I've not heard of, maybe I blind nominated two movies, or not!

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
This seems like my kind of film, or not!

The Jerk (1979) And this also might be something I'd like, or not!

Parenthood (1989) Ahh, a family movie everyone knows I'm an old softie, so this just might be my nom, or not!

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987) Another film I know I reviewed though I didn't give it high ratings, or not!

The Princess Bride (1987) Might be my wife's favorite comedy and I let her pick one like I've done before, or not!

Real Genius (1985) Probably not my film or maybe it is!

When Harry Met Sally (1989)
Ahh, set in Seattle in my home state, so maybe that's why I chose it or not!

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) Well who loves animation more than me, might be my nom or...or not!!!

Haven’t seen any except my own two, but I’ve heard of them all, looking forward to watching them!

Trading Places was on my short list...I was also thinking of doing Being There but we just had a Peter Sellers win. Also the lack of Bill Murray was a bit of a surprise I nominated Ghostbusters in the 20th Hall because I figured he would show up here.

I was considering a zillion comedies, one was Clue but I knew Siddon had it as a Top 10 in his profile so thought he might choose it, but he didn't... Well maybe another HoF.

The trick is not minding
I almost nominated Ghostbusters because that still makes me laugh to this day but thought for sure someone would have already nominated it! Gah!

I almost nominated Ghostbusters because that still makes me laugh to this day but thought for sure someone would have already nominated it! Gah!
Ghostbusters is a good one! It's currently nominated in the 20th HoF.

Seen them all and there is only one I'm dreading having to sit through again. Guess I'll have to get drunk for that one. Just watched Back to the Future for the first time in over 20 years a couple days ago. For whatever reason I just popped it on out of the blue. Didn't plan on watching the entire movie but got sucked in. I know it's the same movie from yesteryear but it was better than I remembered. I figured someone would nominate Caddyshack which is why I didn't.

I was considering a zillion comedies, one was Clue but I knew Siddon had it as a Top 10 in his profile so thought he might choose it, but he didn't... Well maybe another HoF.

My top ten picks were...

Being There
Clue
Trading Places
My Favorite Year (1982)
Scrooged
Tootsie
Lennigrad Cowboys Go America
Big

I decided to go with the films that fit this Hall better than the other ones