Westerns HOF

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Deadline is June 10th
You set a deadline, and you did say this to me:
If you want in I can name the other noms and add yours early next week. We are not that stringent around these here parts.
It kind of makes me feel funny about nominating anything. I don't want to be the one to prolong this HoF for a couple more weeks.

Unforgiven and Once Upon a Time in the West are great. I figured someone would nominate them.
Yeah, but wouldn't these two be "cop out" nominations?
Ignore me! I am in a little bit of a nasty mood today.

Sean, sorry but is there any chance i could change Unforgiven because i just remembered i already nominated it for the 5th HOF? It is cool if not.
I wasn't even a part of that and I knew that it was nominated.
But then this happened to me.....
Thanks, can i have Stagecoach then.
You have NO idea the way I felt when I saw that you nominated that. NONE! NO words could describe how mad I was. Seriously. I have had, on multiple occasions now, someone else nominate something that I was set on nominating ("High Noon" is an example, folks! I was going to nominate it for this - whenever it was going to happen - but there are a few more to the list of films others got to first - I won't go about about that, though). It is something SO unbelievable to me that this keeps happening. Of ALL Westerns! This is actually starting to get bizarre for me. It really is. I am very dumbfounded by it.

By the way, it was never specified (unless I somehow missed it) whether it was the 1939 or the 1966 version. Is it safe to assume it was the 1939 version? That was the one that I was going to nominate. Also, it seems that everyone else is already assuming it is that version, anyway. So I guess it is.

It might be my Tombstone. I could never understand why guys my age love that movie so much.
What is to not understand? I am not a guy your age, but I am a girl about your age, and I can tell you why I love it. It is a great film. Yes, it is about a time in the Old West. I think that adds to the appeal for guys (who like that sort of thing, anyway), but it isn't your typical Western. It isn't your typical shoot 'em up at the O.K. Corral kind of picture. It is a very well made historical drama. And I love historical films. It is good storytelling wrapped up with great acting. This film makes these people even more interesting than they already were - and I do happen to find them very interesting. And who doesn't love Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday? I think it is a thoroughly entertaining film.

I don't think I will join this Hall of Fame, though. I have some reasons for it.

First of all, when I saw the list of movies, I immediately knew that I had to make sure that I could obtain them because I knew some wouldn't be easy to find (i.e. The Wind - even though I have seen it - it has been a long time since then). Well, I can find all of them but "Il Grande Silenzio". Unless someone can give me a guaranteed free and SAFE link to watch it, it just isn't going to happen. I was given a link to a movie that I had to download, I believe. Well, I don't know if it was to download or just watch anymore. All I know is that I did NOT do anything but click on the link (to a site that has always been OK for this person) and I got a very serious virus on this computer. I am a little paranoid about doing such a thing as that now, and that doesn't make me too enthusiastic about watching "Il Grand Silenzio".

Also, I can come up with a nomination to replace "Stagecoach", I think. But there is my other nomination that I am questioning. Sure I can nominate it no matter what, but I was seriously going to nominate it because I wanted to watch it again. But, based on some comments, I don't think it would be wise to nominate it. Yeah, I know if I would be joining like everyone else had joined, people wouldn't have discovered my nomination until it was posted, but there is something about certain comments that have been made that kind of took away my interest in nominating it. And that, therefore, means I have to come up with a different nomination. Like I said, I think I can come up with one replacement nomination, I don't have the desire to come up with a second one.

So, I am sorry to bother you with it anything in the first place, but I will opt out of this Hall of Fame.

It was the 1939 version, you can have it if you want and i'll nominate something else but it is in the HOF anyway so i don't see why it is a problem. Btw i'm fine with Vamp joining the HOF now if she still wants to and everyone else is fine with it.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
It was the 1939 version, you can have it if you want and i'll nominate something else but it is in the HOF anyway so i don't see why it is a problem. Btw i'm fine with Vamp joining the HOF now if she still wants to and everyone else is fine with it.
Thank you for the offer, but no, you can keep your nomination.

Sorry, i just skimmed over your post at first and just read it properly now. Can i ask what you mean by this and what film it was?

n. But, based on some comments, I don't think it would be wise to nominate it.

Stagecoach: I know as a film fan I am supposed to worship at the altar of all things John Ford, but honestly most of what I have seen thus far simply feels dated to me. The action is never engaging to me. When fake backgrounds are used it really stands out. The characters feel like skeletons of good characters to me. I think that was my biggest problem with Stagecoach. I really thought I would be more engaged with the characters as the narrative started because I liked the dynamic Ford was setting up. It never really materialized for me though and everything remained at surface level. It certainly wasn't horrible though. The story was easy to watch and that River scene was fantastic. I am glad I finally got around to this. I hope someday I see the John Ford that everyone else sees.

Big Jake

I nominate this movie and many I am sure would select a different Duke movie but I like the concept of it taking place during when the world was advancing but The Kidnappers and Jake himself are old style and in a way the newer style in the end does not matter considering one of the final killings is with a Pitch fork and not a Gun.
Boone makes a good villain and I liked Patrick and Christopher Mitchem son of Robert Mitchem in this tale of kidnapping and revenge.

Sean it's been a long time since I seen Stagecoach so I can't remember the details of it. But Ford did shooting for the film at Monument Valley, Arizona.

When fake backgrounds are used it really stands out.
That must have been for the fast moving shoots like the run away stagecoach. It would have been near impossible in 1939 to do a decent shot of the people inside the stagecoach with the actual background being filmed at the same time. The size of the camera equipment just didn't allow this. That's why they used 'processed' shots inside a sound stage with a cutaway stagecoach being filmed in front of a rear projection of the background.

But I do agree with you, I don't like those shots either as they don't look real.

Wrote a review for Dead Man. So thrilled to have a new favorite. My second 5 star movie this year and we are only in March. Keep them coming Mofo. Hope you guys have lots to talk about with this one.

Dead Man Review

Sean it's been a long time since I seen Stagecoach so I can't remember the details of it. But Ford did shooting for the film at Monument Valley, Arizona.

That must have been for the fast moving shoots like the run away stagecoach. It would have been near impossible in 1939 to do a decent shot of the people inside the stagecoach with the actual background being filmed at the same time. The size of the camera equipment just didn't allow this. That's why they used 'processed' shots inside a sound stage with a cutaway stagecoach being filmed in front of a rear projection of the background.

But I do agree with you, I don't like those shots either as they don't look real.

Its Kinda strange how most actors who filmed in monument valley ended up dying of cancer that filmed in that time. Only Ward Bond who died of heart attack from the Ford family.

Wrote a review for Dead Man. So thrilled to have a new favorite. My second 5 star movie this year and we are only in March. Keep them coming Mofo. Hope you guys have lots to talk about with this one.

Dead Man Review
I read the review, a very nice review, pretty interesting and I have to watch it again for this. I wasn't a fan the first time.

Its Kinda strange how most actors who filmed in monument valley ended up dying of cancer that filmed in that time. Only Ward Bond who died of heart attack from the Ford family.
It was probably from smoking. But who knows maybe they used some funky chemicals for something?

Dead Man Review
I think it's really neat when someone suggest a movie and another person loves it and finds a new favorite. I really like Dead Man and it's a film one should watch several times to get the depth out of it. I think it will do well here.

I heard that a crash happened near there and it was said too be space craft and it gave off radiation. I cannot recall when i saw it on tv but the title was did Aliens kill The Duke Or Something Like That.

Yknow, Ive actually never seen this. Is it a sure fire must see, or a maybe Ill like it?

One Eyed Jacks: This reminds me of the Westerns that I would sit and watch with my dad on a Saturday afternoon. Very digestible, simple story, fun characters, and some good action. I say that as a good thing. This is the kind of popcorn flick I enjoy. That said it will not be something that becomes a favorite or that I return to often. There is something that elevates this a bit and that is Brando. He is certainly a cut above and even a fairly shallow part like this shows it. I was glad to see this nomination as I hadn't even heard of it before.

One Eyed Jacks: This reminds me of the Westerns that I would sit and watch with my dad on a Saturday afternoon. Very digestible, simple story, fun characters, and some good action. I say that as a good thing. This is the kind of popcorn flick I enjoy. That said it will not be something that becomes a favorite or that I return to often. There is something that elevates this a bit and that is Brando. He is certainly a cut above and even a fairly shallow part like this shows it. I was glad to see this nomination as I hadn't even heard of it before.
It seems a lot of us have gotten into more artistic Wesrerns recently, rather than the more traditional. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and like you say, Brando is a big difference maker, and I also think Karl Malden is outstanding. That being said, I don't think it's quite the traditional Saturday afternoon Western, maybe in comparison to some of these others like El Topo, The Great Silence, and McCabe and Mrs. Miller, but not compared to the vast majority of Westerns from that era. For me, it's still a pretty safe nomination, but being a favorite of mine, being on the Western's list, and the Brando factor, I felt there was enough to put it out there as a nomination.

The Great Silence: Really good story, great characters,and mostly very good cinematography ( I love Westerns in the snow).The dialogue is pretty horrendous and that brought down the film quite a bit for me. Maybe on repeat viewings it won't be as noticeable, but I will have to wait for a repeat viewing to know.