"Victim" a short Essay

Tools    

What exactly is a victim?

(Taken from Dictionary.com)
  1. One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.
  2. A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite.
  3. One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition: victims of war.
  4. A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming.
  5. A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.
I think we can all say that at sometime or another we have been a victim in some shape or form. The kind of victim I would like to talk about however are the victims in whom their maladies have been life changing, or life encompassing for those born into victimization. Does the label of “victim” make one more prone to laziness? Does the world owe them something? Why do people wear there crown of “victim” proudly, and flaunt it as if it were a key to the door of languidity. Who are truly the victims in this world that deserve and need the compassion and help that so many of us unjustly demand? I am not trying to be callous, but there are too many people in this country (and others, but I think we Americans are front runners) who are not “true” victims, yet they think themselves as such. I have been extremely fortunate in my life and do not think I could come up with one major event that has occurred that would allow me the benefit of calling myself a victim. Sure I have had a divorce, lost family members to sickness, been passed over for promotions I felt I deserved, denied awards in the Military that were given to others that accomplished the exact same tasks, etc…etc…etc… The list could go on forever and it probably would never be complete as everyday there is some reason to claim myself a victim. Where am I going with all of this? Grow up America, get off your lazy asses and stop searching for the next free ride. I am tired of the minorities, the handicapped, the women, the harassed, the minimum wage earners, the people stuck in traffic, the depressed, the harassed, the smokers, the non smokers, the bankrupt, on and on and on. I am tired of them whining and demanding things they can do for themselves. I am in no way trying to belittle anyone or any group and I am sure there are many valid reasons for some to get help and empathy and sometimes justice. What I am exasperated about is the never ending whining over and over and over. Hell I am a victim of life as are we all. When is enough enough! Have your initial justified complaining when life throws you a curve, but please move on. Bitterness is no way to live. Demand justice but do not become addicted by it. Plan for the future and not for the past. I have seen much in my life thus far, A single mother fighting for her child’s life because of bone cancer (cousin), Rape victims(wife), The elderly coping with death and the lack of quality of life(Parents, Grandparents), being crippled in an auto accident (friend). I have seen what tragedy can do to people and I just want to give a little nudge to those out there who need it. Yes you may have been a victim or are one now, but if you have any hope of overcoming that label you must first have the desire too do so. Anyone who can dig deep enough to find that desire and not blame the whole world for it has my support.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Careful, you'll get sued for making people feel bad about themselves

You're right of course. Most of us are far luckier than we know.

BANNED
There's a great book out there called The Power of Positive Thinking...

Originally Posted by 7thson
What exactly is a victim?

(Taken from Dictionary.com)
  1. One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.
  2. A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite.
  3. One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition: victims of war.
  4. A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming.
  5. A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.
I think we can all say that at sometime or another we have been a victim in some shape or form. The kind of victim I would like to talk about however are the victims in whom their maladies have been life changing, or life encompassing for those born into victimization. Does the label of “victim” make one more prone to laziness? Does the world owe them something? Why do people wear there crown of “victim” proudly, and flaunt it as if it were a key to the door of languidity. Who are truly the victims in this world that deserve and need the compassion and help that so many of us unjustly demand? I am not trying to be callous, but there are too many people in this country (and others, but I think we Americans are front runners) who are not “true” victims, yet they think themselves as such. I have been extremely fortunate in my life and do not think I could come up with one major event that has occurred that would allow me the benefit of calling myself a victim. Sure I have had a divorce, lost family members to sickness, been passed over for promotions I felt I deserved, denied awards in the Military that were given to others that accomplished the exact same tasks, etc…etc…etc… The list could go on forever and it probably would never be complete as everyday there is some reason to claim myself a victim. Where am I going with all of this? Grow up America, get off your lazy asses and stop searching for the next free ride. I am tired of the minorities, the handicapped, the women, the harassed, the minimum wage earners, the people stuck in traffic, the depressed, the harassed, the smokers, the non smokers, the bankrupt, on and on and on. I am tired of them whining and demanding things they can do for themselves. I am in no way trying to belittle anyone or any group and I am sure there are many valid reasons for some to get help and empathy and sometimes justice. What I am exasperated about is the never ending whining over and over and over. Hell I am a victim of life as are we all. When is enough enough! Have your initial justified complaining when life throws you a curve, but please move on. Bitterness is no way to live. Demand justice but do not become addicted by it. Plan for the future and not for the past. I have seen much in my life thus far, A single mother fighting for her child’s life because of bone cancer (cousin), Rape victims(wife), The elderly coping with death and the lack of quality of life(Parents, Grandparents), being crippled in an auto accident (friend). I have seen what tragedy can do to people and I just want to give a little nudge to those out there who need it. Yes you may have been a victim or are one now, but if you have any hope of overcoming that label you must first have the desire too do so. Anyone who can dig deep enough to find that desire and not blame the whole world for it has my support.
Man I need to practice what I preach.

I was at Walmart today (shudder - I know ) and the only reason was because canned catfood was on sale and it was time to stock up. Anyway as I stood in the express lane at the end of a long line there was a family in front of me with two young kids around 4 and 6 or so. One of the children grabbed a candybar off the rack and started to open it when his mother snatched it away and put it back. He did not whine, did not pout, and he had this guilty look on his face and before his mother said anything he said,"I am sorry mommy." Instantly after saying I am sorry, he was playful and happy again. Maybe sometimes when the little things do not go our way we need to forget about it and move on. I say all this because before this happened I was all "woe is me" about being in a long line at Walmart feeling bitter and victimzed by the juggarnaut of retail for not hiring more minimum wage earners so I could get out faster.

Now, I am not saying it is okay for a store to do some of the things Walmart does, at least the ones here in Pensacola, but I knew this before going on a Saturday and as I checked out I even thanked the cashier for working so hard (because she was).