Film Makers at Home

Tools    

I am not sure if this is the appropriate area of the forum, but I thought I'd start a thread on home movie sharing.

Any film shorts made, good, bad or ugly. Music videos made. Backyard BBQ's with something setting it apart from a bunch of rainbow glitches like a dub from a non flying erase head vcr. Or with glitches. Whatever.

Vine vids, quick comedy sketches...anything shot with a camera meant for entertainment, made by the forum member.

I guess I'm gonna start cuz it was inevitable that I try and pawn this off on someone willing to endure the pain it causes. This is the closest I've come to reaching auteur status on a film. Shot with zero budget, from a script by some local people, I shot some of this, edited all of it, scored it, etc..I even boomed it and did all the sound (which is mostly garbage). To me, it's an interesting failure. But to my credit, it's not bad for a first time. I'll stop patting myself on the back for now because this really is a low rent production but I tried. I really did. In the end, the "producer" wouldn't help me with re-writes/re-shoots. I'm not bitter...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was the script editor for this in pre-production, then jumped on as editor in post.

Suspect's Reviews

I was the script editor for this in pre-production, then jumped on as editor in post.

Awesome. I was thinking this post would be a thud. Glad you chimed in. I'm waiting until I get home with fuull attention and proper sound, then I'll watch it.

I co-wrote, directed, and edited a short horror film named "Malcolm" two summers ago. So far, we've been rejected by all five film festivals we've submitted to. At 33 minutes, it takes quite a bit of commitment to watch, so I won't blame you if you can't get through it. Hopefully, I'll be finished the script I'm working on and can start my next film either this summer, or more realistically, early fall. Comments/critiques are more than welcome.

I'll watch all of these, awesome! I know what it's like to commit to a project where there are shortcomings. As an editor, you wanna fix it, re-shoot it, re-write maybe even..but, you need full cooperation. I ended up butchering the pace in a lot of scenes for my first time out as some of the footage was unusable..creativity doesn't always translate the way it should lol. With that in mind, I will certainly keep an open mind to any low budget effort. Such good learning experiences. I plan on commenting on these shorts as soon as I can. I'd encourage others to do the same, and criticize, should time be on your side.

I ended up butchering the pace in a lot of scenes for my first time out as some of the footage was unusable..creativity doesn't always translate the way it should lol.
I understand completely. In the diner scene in my film, we got some sort of horrible feedback I didn't pick up on the headphones. We ended up doing ADR for that entire scene, and in some shots we get by, but it really ended up butchering the whole scene; and is easily the weakest part of the film.

I also look forward to watching both of your projects, I just have to wait until I get home.

We ended up doing ADR for that entire scene
Oh my God, yup. ADR is so much fun though, or, at least it's fun when it works.

I ADR'd quite a bit, myself. It's amazing, some people deliver the lines at the same speed without even watching the footage. I had at least 3 people be able to nail the tempo just by winging it. Haha, amazing! No cutaways. God, cutaways..such an obvious device for saving your ass.

No cutaways. God, cutaways..such an obvious device for saving your ass

Oh, I had to cutaway the **** out of that scene (you'll know it when you see it), which is a shame because the chemistry between the two actors was incredible.

Oh, I had to cutaway the **** out of that scene (you'll know it when you see it), which is a shame because the chemistry between the two actors was incredible.
Looking forward to seeing all those cutaways bro!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I hope it's ok to park this here, Joel, if not I'll delete. Just incase there are any mofos from Queensland here. Funding for a short film offer for 3 film makers

https://filmink.com.au/public-notice...or-filmmakers/

I hope it's ok to park this here, Joel, if not I'll delete. Just incase there are any mofos from Queensland here. Funding for a short film offer for 3 film makers

https://filmink.com.au/public-notice...or-filmmakers/
Fine by me I mean, ideally I wouldn't mind seeing other people's work as the main focus but it's just a tiny link and well...who am I to say. I'm gonna check it out in a few when I get home.

I just sort of thought it went hand in hand with your thread. It's an offer of 40 grand to queensland amateur film makers to make a short.

Thanks, matey.

Disclaimer - I have no affilition with that company. I just saw it on fb and thought I'd post it.

I just sort of thought it went hand in hand with your thread. It's an offer of 40 grand to queensland amateur film makers to make a short.

Thanks, matey.

Disclaimer - I have no affilition with that company. I just saw it on fb and thought I'd post it.
Oh, I see, ok. I was at work so I couldn't really read it. Cool link! And yeah, I mean I don't really claim any kind of ownership on this thread. I wasn't even sure if this would be allowed here. But it seems like a great venue to get feedback. Very impressed with this forum so far!

Yeah it's pretty fun, and lots of movie fans with heaps of knowledge.

Do you have short film festivals where you are? I like to support up and coming film makers, thus the linky. I dont live in Qld but looks like a great opportunity for mofos if they do.
Looking forward to checking out the work in this thread.

Very cool! The animation was excellent. Did you design the title sequence? Editing was smooth and invisible to me. Looks like you had a full crew of talented people, too, which is super cool. I enjoyed that! How was it cutting together the animation? Did you supervise and handle the foley and music cues? I wouldn't mind knowing a little bit about the process and what not. In fact, I wouldn't mind knowing what the process was from a long essay or description. I am just saying that the option is there. I won't give you a TLDR..that's a dick move, I've always thought that.

Yeah it's pretty fun, and lots of movie fans with heaps of knowledge.

Do you have short film festivals where you are? I like to support up and coming film makers, thus the linky. I dont live in Qld but looks like a great opportunity for mofos if they do.
Looking forward to checking out the work in this thread.
I think we do around here but I haven't ventured out. I'm still very much a student of trial and error. I think I'll only be interested in shopping an idea around if I know 100% that it's gold, even on a small level. That's a very hard thing, to find the right script and something to allow you to put your soul down on tape with. I haven't goten there yet, but I will, even if I dream it while I'm already dead lol.

Travel collage -- Made everywhere EXCEPT home
(what's being said is more important sometimes than what's shown)

Steely Dan concert! Cool drumming on that blue kit. Bonham style. Looks like a good time! Reminds me a little of Rules of Attraction. "Kind of a drag when your baby don't love you!", That was a hoot.

I think we do around here but I haven't ventured out. I'm still very much a student of trial and error. I think I'll only be interested in shopping an idea around if I know 100% that it's gold, even on a small level. That's a very hard thing, to find the right script and something to allow you to put your soul down on tape with. I haven't goten there yet, but I will, even if I dream it while I'm already dead lol.
My bro was a finalist in Sydney Tropfest. You might have heard of it - short film festival in Aus. This is hilarious. Less than 4 minutes.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Steely Dan concert! Cool drumming on that blue kit. Bonham style. Looks like a good time! Reminds me a little of Rules of Attraction. "Kind of a drag when your baby don't love you!", That was a hoot.
LOL.

I was just talking to my cousin who was talking about "Rules of Attraction" -- out of curiosity, could you be more specific in how it relates the video?