My Favorite Steve Martin Performances

Tools    

Gil Buckman, Parenthood

Martin plays a husband and father struggling to keep his kids happy as well as his wife (Mary Steenburgen), his sister (Dianne Wiest), her two kids (Martha Plimpton, Joaquin Phoenix), his dad (Jason Robards), and his black sheep brother (Tom Hulce).
OMG! As one of my favorites, I've seen this movie a dozen times and never, until now, realized that Garry was played by Joaquin Phoenix! No wonder that kid looked so familiar!!! Holy cow, I'm blown away. Man, I feel old now - this movie came out when I was an adult and Joaquin Phoenix was just a little kid then!

OMG! As one of my favorites, I've seen this movie a dozen times and never, until now, realized that Garry was played by Joaquin Phoenix! No wonder that kid looked so familiar!!! Holy cow, I'm blown away. Man, I feel old now - this movie came out when I was an adult and Joaquin Phoenix was just a little kid then!
The movie was released in 1991

Have never seen Leap of Faith...sorry
I agree with Miss Vicky - it's pretty good.

(Now I can't look at her avatar without seeing "Garry" that little perverted messed-up kid from Parenthood!)

I agree with Miss Vicky - it's pretty good.

(Now I can't look at her avatar without seeing "Garry" that little perverted messed-up kid from Parenthood!)
I have heard great things about Leap of Faith but never got around to seeing it. You guys may have convinced me to take a break from this list and watch it.

Larry Hubbard, The Lonely Guy

Martin was adorable in this comedy as a greeting card writer recently dumped by his cheating fiancee (Robyn Douglass) trying to adjust to life as a lonely guy with the help of a veteran lonely guy (Charles Grodin).

George Banks, Father of the Bride (1991)

Martin was very funny in this solid remake of the 1950 Spencer Tracy-Elizabeth Taylor classic as a man who can't deal with the fact that his daughter (Kimberly Williams-Paisley) is not his little girl anymore and is getting married.

Neal Page, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Martin plays a businessman trying to get home in time for Thanksgiving whose journey is impeded by a shower curtain ring salesman (the late John Candy).

Rigby Reardon, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Martin interacts with dozens of stars from classic Hollywood in this film noir spoof as a private detective hired by a mysterious beauty (Rachel Ward) to find out who killed her father.

Larry Hubbard, The Lonely Guy

Martin was adorable in this comedy as a greeting card writer recently dumped by his cheating fiancee (Robyn Douglass) trying to adjust to life as a lonely guy with the help of a veteran lonely guy (Charles Grodin).
The Lonely Guy? An 80s Steve Martin comedy I haven't seen before? How is that even possible?
(immediately runs off to eBay)

Freddy Benson, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Martin garnered major laughs as rookie con artist who travels to the French Riviera and teams up with a veteran con (Michael Caine) to fleece an American contest winner (Glenn Headley).

Ray Porter, Shop Girl

Martin not only wrote the screenplay, but turned in a brilliant performance that nobody saw as a wealthy businessman who comes between a department store countergirl (Claire Danes) and her boyfriend (Jason Schwartzman) but can't make a real commitment to her either.