Let the night air cool you off
Chem trails!

Black helicopters!

9/11 = Sandy Hook = Government!

Russian hacking!

Moon landing = Kubrick!

JFK!

Moonlight!

It probably wasn't staged, but I am not against the idea of it being staged. The idea that it's preposterous for something like this to be staged is a bit preposterous, because sometimes things are done in a specific way on purpose even when they are not supposed to look like they are done that way on purpose. We love to sh*t on people who aren't comfortable believing everything the way it's presented.

Welcome to the human race...
The real conspiracy theory is whether or not this was done to deliberately undermine Moonlight's victory by drawing attention to the envelope gaffe instead of the fact that a relatively unconventional film had been chosen over the obvious crowd-pleaser.

So, are movies cancelled now? No? Ok then. Let's get back to work!
According to La La Land fans, life on earth is over as we know it.

Wait...how come your response to this debacle is so even-tempered and sensical?
Because I understand the importance of Moonlight winning, that awards shows aren't a universal barometer for what's a "great movie", that my love for a movie doesn't hinge on Best Picture, and that cinema is an art that is at its best when it's diverse, open-minded, and different.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The real conspiracy theory is whether or not this was done to deliberately undermine Moonlight's victory by drawing attention to the envelope gaffe instead of the fact that a relatively unconventional film had been chosen over the obvious crowd-pleaser.
Oh please. This is the least likely scenario. Now we are trying to turn Moonlight into a victim?

Welcome to the human race...
Relax, bud, it's a conspiracy theory. Nothing more than an attempt to project a semblance of logic and order onto the chaos of everyday life.

That being said, consider how your immediate reaction to the news that it had won was to boycott Moonlight sight unseen and wonder why that would be so.

I think Hollywood got shamed into voting Moonlight.

Every single Hollywood newspaper site that I came across during the last few weeks was framing La La Land as the typical self-absorbed film that was "made by Hollywood about Hollywood and for Hollywood", while Moonlight was constantly put forward as the better and more "moral" choice of the two.

Maybe they were right. I haven't seen Moonlight yet, but will soon. I'm indifferent to what happened, but I think the framing of the last few weeks was crucial for this upset.

I absolutely loved Moonlight, but didn't imagine it winning Best Picture in a million years.