Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Tools    

Hogwarts Professor
First Oscar for any film related to the Harry Potter series.
Yep, everyone in here have already expressed my feelings on this; though I absolutely loved Fantastic Beasts, I find it slightly hopeless this film won an Oscar, while none of the Harry Potter films did. I'm completely fine with Fantastic Beasts winning an Oscar, but it merely confirms the Harry Potter films were thoroughly snubbed.

It was good, solid entertainment, love period pieces, but nowhere near as interesting as the weakest Potter film, so I agree it's surprising it got an Oscar even for a technical achievement as I didn't see anything that particularly stood out as ground breaking.

It was good, solid entertainment, love period pieces, but nowhere near as interesting as the weakest Potter film, so I agree it's surprising it got an Oscar even for a technical achievement as I didn't see anything that particularly stood out as ground breaking.
This.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason why Fantastic Beasts won, and Harry Potter didn't, had to do with the location of the plot - you guessed it - the US. The folks at the Academy probably loved the look of a well-made 1920s New York.

Holy cow! Why on earth didn't that beast get a pass for the film? Looks incredible!

"The Runespoor is a large three-headed snake, with each head serving a different purpose: the left head is the planner; the middle head is the dreamer; and the right head is the critic with extremely venomous fangs. Originating in the small African country of Burkina Faso, the Runespoor commonly reaches a length of six or seven feet and is vivid orange with black stripes, making it all-too-easy to spot. This is unfortunate, as a black market in Runespoors and their eggs has flourished for several centuries."

Rowling, did I ever tell you that you're utterly brilliant?

I don't understand why this film would win an Oscar of any sort. There's absolutely nothing special about this movie.

I don't understand why this film would win an Oscar of any sort. There's absolutely nothing special about this movie.
Well, some of the categories are of course quite specific and have little to nothing to do with the plot or how good the film itself was. Although I don't think this film is on the level of the Harry Potter films, it winning in the category "Best Costume Design" is not a surprise.

Still think it got favored for the New York remake, though.

Well, some of the categories are of course quite specific and have little to nothing to do with the plot or how good the film itself was. Although I don't think this film is on the level of the Harry Potter films, it winning in the category "Best Costume Design" is not a surprise.

Still think it got favored for the New York remake, though.
Personally, I would have rather seen Allied win that category.

This.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason why Fantastic Beasts won, and Harry Potter didn't, had to do with the location of the plot - you guessed it - the US. The folks at the Academy probably loved the look of a well-made 1920s New York.
Truth be told, as much as I do love period pieces, I can't help but look at them compared to the other nominees and think "It looked good, but there was zero originality to it.." it's like putting together a jigsaw puzzle while staring at the box lid, you already know ahead of time how it's going to look, and can adjust to make it perfect.

It'd be like seeing a counterfeit painting amongst several real ones while its being advertised as counterfeit.

Another reason it seems weird they'd win while the potter films with Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, Ministry of Magic, The Weasely house etc came off as more of an achievement because they were creating something from scratch.

Sure Fantastic Beasts had some unique locales,mainly inside his case, but for the most part 90% of that movie was envisioned looking at old pictures. Not as big an achievement in my opinion.

Truth be told, as much as I do love period pieces, I can't help but look at them compared to the other nominees and think "It looked good, but there was zero originality to it.." it's like putting together a jigsaw puzzle while staring at the box lid, you already know ahead of time how it's going to look, and can adjust to make it perfect.
Once again spot on. This has been very quintessential Yates as a director through all the five Wizarding World films he has directed so far. In the Potter films he was saved by... well, Potter. People knew the story from the books, so while it was predictable, we still loved it. Here, it was predictable, but it didn't have that property of Harry Potter.

Hogwarts Professor
Wonder where they get these scenes from. The blu-ray and DVD release isn't until late this month. Also, the deleted scene with that red, three-headed snake should've been included in the film. Only reason it wasn't is because Warner want to make even more money than they already would on the blu-rays and DVDs.

Hogwarts Professor
Some other positive news: Fantastic Beasts is up for seven Saturn Awards, with the nominations Best Fantasy Film, Best Supporting Actor, Best Music, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, Best Make-Up and Best Special Effects.

Watched the film in theater and it was an awesome movie. As a Harry Potter fan, I was not disappointed of the movie.