Who is the most overrated director?

Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
sorry i forgot how formal this forum is, i didnt realise i had to use perfect grammar, perfect structure, and write in perfect paragraphs when it came to replying to one another...

i could be a little **** and say 'OMG THIS MOVIE IS TEH SUCK' , but i dont because i hate these people.If you're going to lecture me about grammar on this forum you might aswell lecture most people about it. I think my opinion on the matter was clear enough as it is...

**** it,argue about tarantino if you want..

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by mrblonde
sorry i forgot how formal this forum is, i didnt realise i had to use perfect grammar, perfect structure, and write in perfect paragraphs when it came to replying to one another...

i could be a little **** and say 'OMG THIS MOVIE IS TEH SUCK' , but i dont because i hate these people.If you're going to lecture me about grammar on this forum you might aswell lecture most people about it. I think my opinion on the matter was clear enough as it is...

**** it,argue about tarantino if you want..
The main thing here is that you should just type and write the way you want to. There might be a few English teachers here on the MoFo home front or a proof reader or two running around...though nothing you should be worried about. If others are going to have a problem with you on your style, then you have to either ignore them or take it up with the others by attacking those bulls with their horns. Addressing the rest of the forum as a whole makes me quite uncomfortable and I will step up to bat... maybe I'll lose with trying to get through to you but please stop. The natives here are a fine lot and you should eat your newbie pie and give the rest a chance.
At least you and I can make this your happy place...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
...at least ive got constructive opinions, and i was just being honest when i said i think oliver stone is really overrated because he doesnt impress me at all, i didnt say he is overrated. i respect others constructive opinions, i dont respect childish arguing
That's excellent. I doubt that anyone here likes childish arguing.

But you're the only one approaching that, and here's how:
No one is doing what you said was sure to happen. You reacted to something that had not yet occurred, and when you did, what you said was just unsupported opinion... which was, ironically, exactly what you were saying people shouldn't do.

WHY do you like Tarentino?
WHY do you not like Stone? "Doesn't impress" is a totally subjective statement.

This was Alvin's point when he suggested that you put some thought into your posts. It's not just about grammar, you're right. But you haven't actually said anything yet about why you like anything, and instead have called people you don't know "immature". Where's the maturity in that?

Originally Posted by Fedora
I agree. I haven't seen a movie by him that I actually like. I hated Signs. I just didn't get why people thought it was so great. It had one of the worst endings I have ever seen.
All of M. Night Shala whatever his last name is have bad endings. The Sixth Sense has only been his pretty good movie in my opinion to date. Just because of that movie he has become over rated. The Village was also another movie like Signs that had a crappy ending. And yet he makes it on to an American Express card commercial with greats such as Kate Winslet and Robert De Niro when he has only directed about 5 movies, 2 of which have been box office successes but one shouldn't have (Signs).

Another over rated director is Quentin Tarantino. When he directed great movies that are classics in the early ninties such as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction he was not every where such as in the media. Nowadays he is always with Uma Thurman and everything which has caused him to go all over the media and become a hit in the media.

An under rated director that should have some respect is the director of Forrest Gump and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Robert Zemeckis. He has had way more popular movies than Tarantino and M. Night but they still are more popular than him.

M. Night is the most over rated director in Hollywood today.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
no ones arguing about tarantino because i brought it up
everything's been blown out of proportion here
you know im right,just accept it
*ding my newbie pie is done,mmm...

I love pie...

"M Knight Shyamalan." I agree.... He did one good movie, and became idolized for some reason. I don't get it.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
shyamalan has as many people who hate his films/directing as people who love it, in my opinion

You don't have to like the director to love the film in my opinion.

Just a girl who loves movies
In my opinion Spielberg is one of the most overrated directors. Still 2 of my favourite movies were his, so I kinda agree with those who overrated him

Originally Posted by adidasss
Clint Eastwood.....*runs*
There's something to be said for this. Other than High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales and, of course, Unforgiven, I don't see much in his directorial career that justifies the praise he has received.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Clint Eastwood. To me, he is a clinic in overrated directing. The worst part is I have an inability to put my quintessential "finger" on it. I am not sure what I hate so much. His films just bore me to death. Take for example, Million Dollar Baby. I felt the ending was so tacked on, but I can't quite figure out why. I am sure I am going to get taken away by the thought police for this post, but it is the way I feel. Eastwood is the most overrated director around.

Burton is a close second.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
i really dont think we should start argueing about tarantino. i personally love his films and directing, but i think its all a matter of opinion, and hes respected enough,whether you like him or not..
Yes, but then we'd have no interesting discussion...

Lost in never never land
I would have to go with M. Night Shyamalan.

His films are decent, but while people consider him to be a master at what he does, I don't find his work all that great. They tend to be a fun watch, but nothing more then that. For example people talked about the plot twists in the Village, and I had guessed all of them except for one, and what I guessed on that one was deeper then was actually in the film. I am hoping that a different genre of film can help him though.

Quentin Tarantino just never amazes me.

I'm a romantic at heart
M. Night Shaymalan in my opinion has only really produced one good movie The Sixth Sense.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Did MADMAN have that avatar before me????

Anyways, I'd agree with Spielberg. He's a good director, but not everything he does is a masterpeice. I would gladly watch a teen slasher flick over A.I. any day.

Clint Eastwood. Million Dollar Baby is an overrated film. I gave it an 8, but everyone else I talk to raves about it and how brilliant it is. If it was for Freeman I would have given it a lower rating. He does not deserve TWO Oscars.

Oliver Stone. I found myself to be bored in Platoon and Natural Born Killers gave me such a headache. He's really hit or miss. Alexander was horrible, yet JFK was great. Here's hoping for WTC.

Robert Rodriguez. Don't flame me here. I love Sin City and From Dusk Till Dawn. The Faculty is underrated too, but the man seriously has to stop making films about El Mirachi or Kids. He should broaden his horizon. He sticks with what works and doesn't DARE to be different. I know that that statement is a double edge sword because Sin City was different, but now that he knows it works, he'll hang on to it as long as he can. (El Mirachi series, Spy kids). The higher his budget gets, the crappier the films are. Sin City is an obvious excemption.

Jim Jarmusch. This man cannot write dialogue, his films are boring and drag on too long. Broken Flowers is his best film which shows vast improvements.

Kevin Smith. As much as I love his films, it's his writing that's brilliant, not his directing. Every film of his is the same. When is he going to wake up and realize that Ben Affleck cannot act.

M. Night Shyamalan. Like everyone else. The guy had a good film and stuck with the formula. Although, I'd say it was the movie viewer that ultimatly destroyed him expecting so much after one film. Unbreakable was garbage, Signs was medicore and The Village was marketed so wrong that nobody liked it.

George Lucas. Do I need to explain myself here?

Suspect's Reviews

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Jim Jarmusch. This man cannot write dialogue, his films are boring and drag on too long. Broken Flowers is his best film which shows vast improvements.
Is he popular enough to be overrated?