The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Hey Yoda, can I still send my list in? We would just have to redo this entire thread.

Lolita Torture Vibrator (1987)
Imagining Yoda spelling this out is an emotionally challenging thing to do.

Irreversible (2002)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Dead Poets Society (1989)
Clay Pigeons (1998)
Donnie Brasco (1997)
Poison for the Fairies (1984)
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
Coraline (2009)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
The Florida Project (2017)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)
Dallas Buyers Club (2013)

I've seen all of these. I don't like Dead Poets Society, Donnie Brasco, Poison for the Fairies, Lupin, or Coraline. I don't remember Plains, trains, Dangerous Liaisons, or Bogus Journey well enough to still have an opinion. The rest are good.

Yea that's what I mean, is there only 2 or is there more
Ah, I was confused because saying "is there more than 2?" makes it sound like we've already announced two. I suppose you're counting the "real" list as the other one?

If so, yeah, no other lists. The One Pointers are the only ones based on a specific total, and they're "unofficial," in the sense that it's just a little thing most Curators do for fun. After this, it's just the Top 100, which has no specific point total associated with it. It's just whichever films scored the highest.

You ready? You look ready.
What’s the record for most pages of user engagement before the thread subject is revealed? I feel like this one has gotta be setting a record for sure.

All is going according to plan:

There's a few small technical things for me to work on and polish, so I'll give you guys this evening to make predictions and whip yourselves into a frenzy.

A Ghost Story was my No.25, just a beautiful film with a beautiful score.

I agree. I had it at #61 on my failed 100 list, but I wouldn't have minded to put it a bit higher.

I was intrigued by A Ghost Story when I saw the trailer, but never got around to seeing it. Its inclusion here has probably convinced me to give it a try, though.

You are all now honor-bound to watch The Impostors in return. Here, I'll make it easy.

I've seen 17 of those One-Pointers. Kudos to whoever put The 10th Victim in there. Good film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm sure The 10th Victim is a certain relative of mine's One Pointer. We still want to remake it.

If this wasn't Takoma, I'll eat my hat.

This would've worked slightly better if you were @TheUsualSuspect but given that the character in question is in fact a thief, it works pretty darn well.

I'm the one who had Dead Poets Society at #25, I'm very surprised that I was the only one with it on my list. I had it more because it's the first movie that really grabbed y guts and made me realize the power of cinema when I was 16. I rewatched it a couple of times since then and it has some serious flaws in my opinion. There are probably a lot of films that weren't on my list that are better, but I had to include it for its significance for my love of cinema.

I love Dead Poets Society. I do think it suffers from a bit of sappiness and melodrama, but I still think the dynamics between Williams and the students are on-point, and the lead kids (Ethan Hawke!) are pretty good actors.

Clay Pigeons was mine, obviously. I had it at #16 back in 2010. I figured nobody else would vote for it so I stuck it last this time.

Here's what I said about it in my Joaquin thread:

Sad to see Army of Darkness score only one point. It used to be a top ten favorite for me.
I saw this film back in the 90s. Remember liking it, but haven't seen it since. I barely remember it at all.

Ah, I was confused because saying "is there more than 2?" makes it sound like we've already announced two. I suppose you're counting the "real" list as the other one?

If so, yeah, no other lists. The One Pointers are the only ones based on a specific total, and they're "unofficial," in the sense that it's just a little thing most Curators do for fun. After this, it's just the Top 100, which has no specific point total associated with it. It's just whichever films scored the highest.
I thought we were just listing off movies that barely made the cut or something, idk I got got confused, it's fine atleast were done it now and now waiting for the list to start

oops reposted by mistake sorry, the reply button got stuck lol

I thought we were just listing off movies that barely made the cut or something, idk I got got confused, it's fine atleast were done it now and now waiting for the list to start
Yeah, no worries.

Short version is:

The Top 100: the films with the most overall points.

One Pointers: films that got exactly one point.

There's a whole lot of films between these two groups, that got more than one point but not enough to crack the Top 100.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm bummed that my movie didn't make the one pointer list...as I have my doubts that it will make the list, though it should!

The House on Haunted Hill (1959)....Could be Siddon's?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)...Neiba?

Poison for the Fairies (1984)...Oh I know who that belongs to

Sunday in New York (1963)...Sounds like a Gbgoodies choice

A Man For All Seasons (1966)...Pussy Galore's?

A Ghost Story (2017)...UsualSuspect maybe.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)...I shut this movie off after 15 minutes it was so overcooked, glad it didn't make the list!

The Florida Project (2017)....Rauls?

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)...might be Edarsneal's

My Favorite Year (1982) ...I bet that wa
s Siddon's
Florida Project isn't mine but it's in my top 100.

I do like Cagliostro too

These are the One-Pointers I've seen with my corresponding thumbs...

Irreversible (2002)
The House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Cyrano de Bergerac (1950)
Dead Poets Society (1989)
Clay Pigeons (1998)
Donnie Brasco (1997)
A Ghost Story (2017)
Coraline (2009)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)
Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)
The 10th Victim (1965)
Step Brothers (2008)
Dallas Buyers Club (2013)
Some reservations on Clay Pigeons, Donnie Brasco, and Army of Darkness, which I haven't seen since the 90s.