The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the graphs! I think it's nice to see a visual representation of how everyone voted, rather than just a points total. Some of these graphs vary quite a bit too, which I found interesting.
definitely brings it to life

Eighth Place:

Dragonslayer (1981)
Nominated By: Wyldesyde19

The puppets looked great, the film goes with a less is more approach and I prefer that in my films.
The movie plays out like a religious allegory. The dragon lives down a pit with a lake of fire that brings seems like Hell. It’s visage calls to midnight satan with his horns, and even is referred to as Lucifer. The wizard returns to life and stands on a cliff almost God like standing amongst the clouds hurling lightning at it. All while the townspeople pray.
47 Points

Points Awarded:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart - dragonslayer.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	67970  

I liked DragonHeart for it's really cool looking sets, especially the one at the rock quarry. I had it at #4...
A lot of the noms in the middle of my ballot could've been exchanged for another. It was real hard deciding the middle part of my votes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the graphs! I think it's nice to see a visual representation of how everyone voted, rather than just a points total. Some of these graphs vary quite a bit too, which I found interesting.
I like the graphs! Nice touch

The two films with "dragon" in their titles were next to each other on my ballot (at #7 and #8). It's a strange coincidence to see them place next to each other as well.

The two films with "dragon" in their titles were next to each other on my ballot (at #7 and #8). It's a strange coincidence to see them place next to each other as well.
Same spots for me as well

I liked Dragonslayer for the bad guy and for the way the virgin princess sacrificed herself. That was unexpected. I think the lead teen protagonist dropped this movie down a bit though. Though I did like his girl side kick, too bad she wasn't the apprentice wizard instead.

I had this at #8 but like I said the whole middle of my ballot was made up of films that I felt pretty much the same about. I could've just as easy switched this with DragonHeart which was my #4.

and Dragonslayer hit the same for me, at #8.
And like recent HoFs, it wasn't out of dislike.
I feel the same way. It's probably because I love the fantasy genre, but I was just really happy with pretty much all the nominations in this HoF, so a low ranking on my list doesn't really mean that much in terms of how much I enjoyed it.

Seventh Place:

Excalibur (1981)
Nominated By: Citizen Rules

Excalibur is a mythical movie, a pure fantasy that never aims for realism or historical accuracy. Its glossy and hazy visuals make it look like a dream. It's a fairytale for adults where knights wear their stylized plate armors 24/7, live the life of high adventure, and are heroes worthy of songs.
Excalibur is sadness at a great loss, a lament of things that were. A foreshadowing of things that might come to be if mankind doesn't change it's ways...

"For it is the doom of men that they forget."
50 Points

Points Awarded:

Attachments

Name:	chart - excalibur.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	67971  

I'm really surprised more people didn't like Excalibur, and that it didn't ultimately rank higher than this. It was #4 on my list, though I kept switching it back and forth with what I have at #3, so it could've been in my top 3 (with Return of the King's disqualification that is).

Excalibur came in last for me. Again, not out of dislike. I quite enjoyed it as I did all of the films.
I'm surprised it was last on your list as you seemed to relate to the same themes in the movie that I did. But it's cool

Sixth Place:

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Nominated By: CosmicRunaway

This film, what can I say, I have watched it dozens of times along with another film by Henson and Froud. I enjoy the storyline, the artwork, the animatronics of the muppets.
The production design of The Dark Crystal is simply outstanding. It is a highly imaginative film with fantastic visuals. The mix of real locations, matte paintings, and a frankly ridiculous amount of props and puppets create a magical, alien world that is a treat to witness.
52 Points

Points Awarded:
Attachments

Name:	chart - dark crystal.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	67972  

I'm surprised it was last on your list as you seemed to relate to the same themes in the movie that I did. But it's cool
I'm even MORE surprised when I made the list, thinking the same thing.

For each of the films, I decided to take a quote from the person who nominated it, as well as someone who had the film in their top 3. I didn't have to think hard on who to pick for The Dark Crystal's other quote, because MG was the only person other than me to have the film ranked that high.