The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
La Belle et la Bete

I'm not a huge fan of the whole Beauty and the Beast story but the story is still one I can respect and certainly it has many fans. With this being the fourth adaptation of it that I have watched I think I would put it at third out of 4, with it easily ahead of that horribly butchered attempt from Disney's live action remake.

Visually the film is pretty good and I like the performances of the two leads, even if we are not wowed by either. But it has no supporting performances to really latch onto of any sort, which is what I really like about the Disney version with the talking inanimate objects. Here it really is just about Belle and the Beast. I think the film sets itself up well in the first half but it seems to flake out in the second half, again just my opinion but that's how I feel it shakes out.

It isn't a bad nomination and I like that it takes some risks in comparison to the story but it doesn't 100% really wow me either.

Lord of the Ring: The Fellowship of the Ring
(2001)
Directed by Peter Jackson
Nominated by @rauldc14

The first story of three films about a young hobbit, along with his friends and protectors, who is on a quest to return an evil ring to a place of destruction. Through trials and tribulations, through the temptation of the ring, they work together as a fellowship to accomplish their task.

This is an epic film directed by a well-known director of the cult genre, of a well-known fantasy writer. It is a bad film? No, certainly not. It is highly enjoyed by fans of J.R.R. Tolkien's novel. Am I one? No, I never read the books. I could not even compare it to the books. When I first saw this film in the theatre, I really couldn't enjoy it as I was sick with a sinus infection and kept falling asleep. Definitely not because of the film. I had rewatched it a few times over the past 19 years but it is not a film I could rewatch over and over.

It was a nice rewatch and I enjoyed not just the story but the actors as well. Some are from my childhood, some from my younger adulthood and some that were new. I have been a fan of Ian McKellen, Hugh Weaving, John Rhys-Davies, Christopher Lee, and Ian Holms for many years. I knew Sean Astin and Elijah Wood from my childhood but have became fan of newcomers, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Dominic Monaghan, Andy Serkis, Orland Bloom and Sean Bean. I think the cast was great, the story was one of great fantasy and the direction of Peter Jackson is spot on.

I did wonder how many times Frodo was going to die or come close to death.

Overall it was an enjoyable film. If I were to rank it in my top 100, it may be close to the bottom.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
(1982)
Directed by Steven Speilberg
nominated by @gbgoodies

The story of a young teen and an extra-terrestrial alien that is left behind on Earth. The young teen and the alien make a physical connection on the journey to get the alien back home, with the help of his other brother, his younger sister and some friends.

This is a film loved by most anyone who grew up in the 1980s. It was very popular, even to those who still enjoy it today.

I don't think it is a bad film. I know I enjoyed it at one point but I feel it's aged. It's hard to rewatch because compared to today's standards, it's slow and special effects have advanced. To me, it was never a favorite. I just had no connection to the film.

Tideland is an interpretation of "Alice in Wonderland"?
I definitely missed that.
Yeah there was some similarities in the film and the story. I caught on. Its a darker version of the story if you want to compare them. I think someone did in the thread.

I have been a fan of Ian McKellen, Hugh Weaving, John Rhys-Davies, Christopher Lee, and Ian Holms for many years. I knew Sean Astin and Elijah Wood from my childhood but have became fan of newcomers, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Dominic Monaghan, Andy Serkis, Orland Bloom and Sean Bean.
Billy Boyd seems to be missing from the mentions here. Did you not like Pippin?

Billy Boyd seems to be missing from the mentions here. Did you not like Pippin?

I haven't seen anything he's in since the movie.. I have watched several with Dominic.

I haven't seen anything he's in since the movie.
I'm sure he's been in other things, but the only film coming to mind is Seed of Chucky, where he provided the voice for Chucky's son. I think he focused more on music than acting.

I would've liked to see him in more things. I thought he was great in LotR. By the end of Return, Pippin was my favourite of the hobbits.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
La Belle et la Bete

I'm not a huge fan of the whole Beauty and the Beast story but the story is still one I can respect and certainly it has many fans. With this being the fourth adaptation of it that I have watched I think I would put it at third out of 4, with it easily ahead of that horribly butchered attempt from Disney's live action remake.

I haven't seen Disney's live action remake of Beauty and the Beast yet, but it's on my watchlist. Is it really that bad? What didn't you like about it?

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
(1982)
Directed by Steven Speilberg
nominated by @gbgoodies

The story of a young teen and an extra-terrestrial alien that is left behind on Earth. The young teen and the alien make a physical connection on the journey to get the alien back home, with the help of his other brother, his younger sister and some friends.

This is a film loved by most anyone who grew up in the 1980s. It was very popular, even to those who still enjoy it today.

I don't think it is a bad film. I know I enjoyed it at one point but I feel it's aged. It's hard to rewatch because compared to today's standards, it's slow and special effects have advanced. To me, it was never a favorite. I just had no connection to the film.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy E.T.. I've noticed that a few people mentioned not being able to connect to the movie. I seem to feel the complete opposite because I connect so well that I forget that I'm watching a movie.

Tideland is an interpretation of "Alice in Wonderland"?
I definitely missed that.
Yeah there was some similarities in the film and the story. I caught on. Its a darker version of the story if you want to compare them. I think someone did in the thread.

I'm probably going to try to rewatch Tideland before submitting my list to see if I can pick up on the "Alice in Wonderland" connections in the movie.

I might also try to rewatch Kwaidan before submitting my list because there were several posts explaining some of the things that I missed in the movie. I don't really expect either of these rewatches to change my list, but I want to give each of these movies a fair chance.

(I should have plenty of time for these rewatches because the only movie that I haven't reviewed yet is my own nom, but if it gets too close to the deadline, someone should just send me a quick reminder to finish up quickly and send in my list.)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Dark Crystal

Narrator: The Skeksis, with their hard and twisted bodies, their harsh and twisted wills. For a thousand years they have ruled. Yet now, there are only ten: a dying race, ruled by a dying Emperor, imprisoned within themselves in a dying land.

Unlike many Fantasy films that pit Good vs Evil, The Dark Crystal seeks out the Balance aka the bringing together of the two extremes since they are but splinters of a whole. In this instance, a shard of the great crystal that split an elderly race into two distinct creatures. And, now, a thousand years later, the prophecy to find and return the shard is played out.

The details when it comes to the world building is truly impressive. I always find myself trying to take all of the scenery in any time I would watch this.
And while Jen seemed rather un-lifelike which, for nearly every puppet/muppet created and used by Henson, Oz and the other puppeteers, bringing life to objects is a beautiful art form. Which is why, I would imagine, for a lot of us to have Jen fall short of what is normally a given for anything created by these masters causes a severe road bump in viewing enjoyment.
To negate that I did make an extra effort to skip past this common critique and simply enjoyed this fantasy world and its denizens.
And it was quite the wonderful viewing, indeed.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I haven't seen Disney's live action remake of Beauty and the Beast yet, but it's on my watchlist. Is it really that bad? What didn't you like about it?
Obnoxious characters, bad acting, and the songs were annoying from what I remember.

I seem to feel the complete opposite because I connect so well that I forget that I'm watching a movie.
Unfortunately, I can't forget it is a movie as Drew is a little girl in this. I love her films as an adult...

EverAfter and Never Been Kissed are favorites.

I might also try to rewatch Kwaidan before submitting my list because there were several posts explaining some of the things that I missed in the movie. I don't really expect either of these rewatches to change my list, but I want to give each of these movies a fair chance.

Thats awesome because I don't want to be discouraged from nominating challenging films. It's a textually dense film and I do feel it's rewarded for those that pay attention to it.

Obnoxious characters, bad acting, and the songs were annoying from what I remember.

That's a shame. I was thinking about buying the DVD, but maybe I'll just wait for it to air on TV instead. (It sounds like the commercials might make for some nice breaks in the movie.)

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy E.T.. I've noticed that a few people mentioned not being able to connect to the movie. I seem to feel the complete opposite because I connect so well that I forget that I'm watching a movie.
Unfortunately, I can't forget it is a movie as Drew is a little girl in this. I love her films as an adult...

EverAfter and Never Been Kissed are favorites.

Again, I'm the opposite. This was the first movie that I ever saw Drew Barrymore in, and I haven't seen her in many other movies over the years, so I'll always think of her as the little girl in E.T. (But I've had the DVD of EverAfter sitting on my shelf for years, so I should actually find the time to watch it. It sounds like my type of movie.)

Thats awesome because I don't want to be discouraged from nominating challenging films. It's a textually dense film and I do feel it's rewarded for those that pay attention to it.

Don't ever let anyone discourage you from nominating any movies that you want to nominate. The whole point of these HoFs is for people to watch movies that they might not watch on their own. If you love the movie, hopefully someone else will see what you see in the movie, and they'll love it too.

Good day, fellow adventurers! There have not been any major changes to our journey, so those of you who are still walking the path need not fear for any last minute twists. I've called you together simply to share a progress report of our quest. I will continue to summon you all on a weekly basis from now until the deadline.

We have already passed the halfway point of our eleven week commitment. Just 5 weeks remain to complete your tasks, as the deadline is still set to Saturday, September 19th. Most of our fellowship are not in any danger, though some have started to fall behind.

ahwell - 10/10
Citizen Rules - 10/10
CosmicRunaway - 10/10
edarsenal - 4/10
gbgoodies - 9/10
MovieGal - 10/10
pahaK - 9/10
rauldc14 - 7/10
Siddon - 9/10
Wyldesyde19 - 2/10

For future reference, those who are ahead, or who have already reached the end of the quest have their number of completed tasks displayed in green. Those who are within one film are shown in black, and anyone who has some catching up to will see a concerning red.

And once again, the mention for @ahwell doesn't work with the others.

Luckily he was the first to finish this HoF anyway, so for the time being I'm not too concerned about it not tagging him. It always seems to work in a follow-up post.