Directors Who Disliked Their Own Movie/s

Tools    

George Lucas' hate for Star Wars ended his directing career for decades.

And he never forgave us for loving it.

George Lucas' hate for Star Wars ended his directing career for decades.

And he never forgave us for loving it.
What a different perception! I didn't know George Lucas didn't like his creation. This is shocking, it is generally incomprehensible. We love Star Wars so much. They are brilliant! The first 6 films, the rest are not very good.

David Lynch's Dune, he wasn't happy with creative control but I know a lot of people who regard this as a good movie.

I don't think Hitchcock was very happy with Rope but lots of people love it now.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Seems like a good time to bump this thread (especially since the opening post begins with this very example!)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=42657
Ha.. I've seen a lot of rare, old, foreign movies, ones with under 100 IMDB votes, but I have no desire for Spielberg, Lucas... I might wanna watch the movie, "Alien" though, but the title puts me off a little.

I don't think Hitchcock was very happy with Rope but lots of people love it now.
Hitchcock referred to his film Rope as a "stunt". Technically it was very innovative, but I believe he felt in hindsight that J. Stewart was not the best choice for his role. I agree. The bizarre, almost surrealistic portrayal of the strangling-- Hitchcock was to return to in Frenzy.

I think the one that really embarrassed him was Under Capricorn. It was not the least bit like a Hitchcock film-- there was no suspense. He admitted he'd been proud to have snagged Ingrid Bergman, and was too impressed with her to sufficiently guide her. He also stated that Joseph Cotten was wrong for his role. It really required someone more forceful, like Cary Grant for example.

Welcome to the human race...
Ha.. I've seen a lot of rare, old, foreign movies, ones with under 100 IMDB votes, but I have no desire for Spielberg, Lucas... I might wanna watch the movie, "Alien" though, but the title puts me off a little.
I'd see the sun rise in the west and find it less surprising than this post. Still, I'd argue that kind of stuff is all worth one watch if only for academic purposes - Alien in particular definitely shows an artistry that few films of its ilk have matched before or since.

Another example - Michael Mann and The Keep. A visibly incomplete mess that sees him working in genres he'd never touched before and never would again, plus there's supposedly enough footage to warrant a director's cut but he never wants to think about it ever again.

Alien in particular definitely shows an artistry that few films of its ilk have matched before or since.
Not sure about this

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Not many probably know this, but Katsuhiro Otomo was originally disappointed with how Akira turned out. He's said that he became increasingly depressed by the quality of the animation, so much that he left halfway through the original 1988 theatrical screening, went home, and told his wife the film was a failure.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Hitchcock referred to his film Rope as a "stunt". Technically it was very innovative, but I believe he felt in hindsight that J. Stewart was not the best choice for his role. I agree. The bizarre, almost surrealistic portrayal of the strangling-- Hitchcock was to return to in Frenzy.

I think the one that really embarrassed him was Under Capricorn. It was not the least bit like a Hitchcock film-- there was no suspense. He admitted he'd been proud to have snagged Ingrid Bergman, and was too impressed with her to sufficiently guide her. He also stated that Joseph Cotten was wrong for his role. It really required someone more forceful, like Cary Grant for example.
I think Jimmy Stewart might have been wrong for the role in "The Flight of the Phoenix" -- you know he's going to do the right thing, so it's just a waiting game. Still a good movie, but I always wonder how someone more ambiguous could have pulled it off. Maybe Joseph Cotten?

I wouldn't call myself a Hitchcock fan. For me, he's a guy who makes movies I resort to when I'm in a movie slump in search of something well edited, cut, no fat.. But I did like "Rope", but I agree Stewart being the wrong choice. He was perfect for "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" because you believe him. "You Can't Take It With You!" also..

Good choice. He always seems a little evil to me, which might have helped.
You were talking about reviewers and their styles in another thread. Maybe give me review of Rope a read. I think (or at least hope) I come across in my review in a normal, down to earth tone. See what you think
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...77#post1669177