Next Countdown: decade, or something else?

Tools    

What kind of countdown should we do next?
48.28%
28 votes
Decades List (2000s, 2010s)
51.72%
30 votes
Anything Else (Comedies, Noir, Foreign, etc.)
58 votes. You may not vote on this poll

A lot of posts to go through, and short on time. So I’ll ask here, and sorry if it has been answered already but:

How would we break it down by region?
Do you mean something like this?
Nordic Countries: Denmark, Norway Sweden et all.
Something like that? I want to understand what the proposal is.
it could be whatever we decide, really. we could do it by continent, maybe dividing europe and asia into two or three parts. we could even do it by the language spoken in the film. personally i think we should just choose a handful of countries with rich cinematic histories and focus on one country at a time. i've been using france as the example because it seems like the most accessible one to start with, but then over the next several years we could venture to japan, italy, south korea, sweden, russia, india, iran, brazil, mexico, etc.

but this could all be moot anyway. i'm happy i got this idea into the conversation but we should probably move on and actually make a decision now.
criticker

Alright, thank you for the opinions all, particularly the people who took the time to explain their position and stay open-minded and all that.

I'll sleep on this and put a poll up tomorrow and we'll go from there. Whatever the poll options, and whatever the result, ultimately the list Curator will still have some leeway, but if any of you are interested in running one of the potential winners, start thinking about that now, and it wouldn't be inappropriate to throw your hat into the ring during the voting, since I think the pairing of Curator and topic is part of the appeal for people, sometimes.

Alright, thank you for the opinions all, particularly the people who took the time to explain their position and stay open-minded and all that.

I'll sleep on this and put a poll up tomorrow and we'll go from there. Whatever the poll options, and whatever the result, ultimately the list Curator will still have some leeway, but if any of you are interested in running one of the potential winners, start thinking about that now, and it wouldn't be inappropriate to throw your hat into the ring during the voting, since I think the pairing of Curator and topic is part of the appeal for people, sometimes.
"Scratches head"

Action
Comedy
Foreign
Noir
War
Musicals

Here you can put it up now

Np if you want to wait until tomorrow, just can't wait to see the next poll that's all

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Isn't this pretty much what happened in the countdown that we just finished? Was there anyone here who didn't know what the top ten movies were going to be before we got to them? Even I knew what to expect in the top ten, and most of those movies weren't even considered for my list.
Exactly, and that means we're going to spend over a year without any Genre Hall of Fames or recommendations.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. My point was that you were complaining that if we do a general foreign countdown, the same movies that are already talked about are also going to show up on the countdown, but that's what happened in the last countdown, (and probably most of the countdowns that we've done here on MoFo), but people still enjoy the countdowns. Why would you expect that the foreign countdown would be any different than every other countdown?

And why would the countdown cause less genre HoFs? If anything, I think it's the opposite. The countdowns usually generate more HOFs because people like to have HoFs as a build-up to the countdowns. Whatever countdown is next, we will probably have a few genre HoFs that match the countdown because people like to nominate movies that other people might add to their countdown lists.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
i'd say the genres themselves are the subdivision. "foreign" isn't really a genre or even a useful classification. i think genres and regions are actually the fair equivalency here, as they're both interesting ways of dividing the entirety of cinema into a handful of distinct parts with at least some shared characteristics besides simply requiring subtitles. it's also more comparable in terms of the pool of possible films, as the number of french films in existence is probably far closer to the number of sci-fi films than it is the number of films with aliens.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying here, but if "foreign" isn't a genre, then "region" isn't a genre either. So if we're going to break down "foreign" even more, then shouldn't it be broken down into genres, like "foreign drama", "foreign sci-fi", "foreign comedy", etc., rather than "foreign regions"?