False Writer's 57 Favorite Movies by Year (1960-2016)

→ in
Tools    

Hey all!

I haven't been as active lately but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't itching to do another list. This time I'm gonna go through 57 years worth of film and pick my favorite movie from every year from 1960 through the first half of 2016. I decided not to start at 1950 or before since it would spoil a lot of the movies from my 50s list...

I'm not sure if this has been done before, but either way I hope you all enjoy the ride. It shall start momentarily!

1960: Psycho

A masterpiece in every sense of the word. Whether you consider it to be horror or a thriller—you can't deny that it's one of the all-time greats of its respective genre.

1961: Yojimbo

One of Kurosawa's most popular and defining works. The story of a lone samurai wandering into a feuding town and making an earth-shattering impact on its inhabitants is still an amazing story that holds up very well today.

1962: Lawrence of Arabia

One of the most epic films ever! The fact that it was based on true events makes it even more mesmerizing.

1963: The Great Escape

This brilliant war flick has an all-star cast and is a shining example of Hollywood at its best. Star power, excellent writing and directing, awesome stunts, and great suspense.

That's 57 movies.
Yeah I actually realized that after I made the thread... My bad. It's almost 1 in the morning here so I'm only half awake making this thread.

I'm gonna message Yoda and ask to change it.

1964: Zulu

I've watched a lot of war films over the years, but there's nothing quite like Zulu. This conflict during the Zulu-Anglo war is presented in a stunning way with battle scenes impressive for its time and an entrancing look at the Zulu way of war.

1965: Major Dundee

Admittedly I'm not very knowledgeable in the movies of 1965 but I will say that the controversial Major Dundee was a very impressive movie.

1966: Tokyo Drifter (VCS = Very Close Second: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly)

Tokyo Drifter is a cool, underrated action flick that has awesome action/shootout sequences along with hilariously campy moments. It's a short but very fun ride. Also gotta give a shout out to TG,TB,ATU because it's of course one of the best westerns ever—but I just can't deny how fun Tokyo Drifter is!

1967: Le Samourai (VCS: The Graduate)

I already said that my 1966 pick Tokyo Drifter was "cool", but I don't think any movie is quite as cool as Le Samourai. It even narrowly beat out The Graduate as my pick for favorite of '67, and I think The Graduate is a downright masterpiece. Alain Delon gives a performance unlike any other.

Wow... Only one rep for that whole set? Well thanks Camo for repping!

Sorrry, FW. Here I am!

Only seen Le Samouraï, but that movie is amazing and I agree about your point of view on its "coolness". That's one of the best aspects of it, while the other winning aspect is really hard to describe... I guess I would call it Melvilleque.

1968: 2001: A Space Odyssey

You know a movie is special when it's awe-inspiring 48 years after its original release. The production designs in this are still some of the best and most influential of any sci-fi movie.

1969: The Wild Bunch (VCS: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)

Not surprisingly, 1969 is my favorite year for westerns. Both Wild Bunch and Butch Cassidy are westerns but are very different in their own way. One's a dark, bleak, and violent tale while the other is a comedic and adventurous account of two real-life western legends. Both are amazing, but Wild Bunch gets the slightest nudge from me.

1970: Patton

George C. Scott gives a performance for the ages as George Patton, a performance which I think is on par with O'Toole's portrayal of Lawrence. This is a must see for any fan of military/war films.

1971: A Clockwork Orange (VCS: Straw Dogs)

A much talked about cult classic that's quite the wild ride. Very controversial and disturbing, yet fun and humorous in its own twisted way.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I almost didn't give you + rep for that last set because I hate A Clockwork Orange, but I had to give you + rep for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I almost didn't give you + rep for that last set because I hate A Clockwork Orange, but I had to give you + rep for 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Thanks for the rep gb, yeah I wouldn't think that Clockwork Orange would be appealing to female viewers.

4 more strong choices. Keep it up.
Thanks GS!

Sorry about the delay, the countdown will continue momentarily!