Recommend A Great Carnival Movie?

Tools    

Curtis Harrington's first film, a moody, low-budget thriller filmed on location at the Santa Monica Pier, has lonely sailor Dennis Hopper fall in love with an even lonelier young woman who plays the carnival's mermaid.
I game across Night Tide too when I was searching.

Can anybody think of more European movies?

EDIT: Forgot to mention Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away is on my watchlist too.
Your mentioning of this reminded me of this one.

Like Carny, it's not something I've seen myself, but I think it'll fit and it's European.

La Strada (1954)
Nightmare Alley (1947)
Funny Bones (1995)
Bronco Billy (1980)
Ring of Fear (1954)
The Clown (1953)
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken (1991)
Water for Elephants (2011)
Roustabout (1964)
Big Top Pee-Wee (1988)
Berserk! (1967)
Freaked (1993)

I really like the first four I listed. The others...fit the basic criteria of what you're looking for. There are also movies that have key sequences at carnivals, but don't chiefly take place there. Two great ones are The Jerk (1979) and Paper Moon (1973).

And if you want a great read, check out Katherine Dunn's novel Geek Love (1989), which hasn't yet been made into a movie.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Do circuses count? Vampire Circus, starring the late Adrienne Cori, is a great horror movie. Of course, the circus is an ideal setting for horror movies.
For dramas, try "Trapeze" starring Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis.

Do circuses count? Vampire Circus, starring the late Adrienne Cori, is a great horror movie. Of course, the circus is an ideal setting for horror movies.
Unfortunately I have very little interest in horror movies, but I suppose you can go ahead and suggest them given the possibility other people are into that.

I think the best carnival project may be the one season of HBOs Carnivale

Its supposed to have been exceptional, though cancelled after the one season.
There were actually two seasons, but it frustratingly ended on a cliffhanger.

Amazing show though; one of my favorites. It's pretty bizarre and picturesque, and Michael J. Anderson really elevates it.

Unfortunately I have very little interest in horror movies, but I suppose you can go ahead and suggest them given the possibility other people are into that.
Horror movies can be interesting, depending on what they are about, who created them, and the overall theme behind them, but I've never seen any Carnival movies, which might be interesting to watch.

Carnival of Souls could be interpreted as a 'horror' film. I personally love it, would like to see what you think when you get a chance to watch it.

While not a carnival film, Big Fish has a carnival vibe and has some significant carnival scenes.

Also, American Horror Story Season 5 takes place in a carnival. It's not 'horror' in that there's blood and gore but rather in the way that 'freaks' were objectified. Of course there are horror elements but I really enjoyed the post war (50's) atmosphere, the sets and scenes and the people stories. Very well done IMO.

I think the best carnival project may be the one season of HBOs Carnivale

Its supposed to have been exceptional, though cancelled after the one season.
It was two seasons. Either way, gone before its time.

RIP

Your mentioning of this reminded me of this one.

Like Carny, it's not something I've seen myself, but I think it'll fit and it's European.
I hate the fact that it won't let me fully quote you because I can't post links yet. Anyway, that's a good one, I think you should give it a gander.

You can always check out Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. It's one of Gilliam's more slept on films and has Heath Ledger's final performance. Santa Sangre is a good shout. The Dance of Reality is another good Carnavalesque film of Jodorowsky. Fellini's Casanova has what you're looking for. Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut doesn't take place in Venice, but there's a scene with Venetian masks. The movie is quite esoteric even for Kubrick, but it's amazing.

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
While not a carnival film, Big Fish has a carnival vibe and has some significant carnival scenes.
Originally Posted by NexusSix
You can always check out Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. It's one of Gilliam's more slept on films and has Heath Ledger's final performance.
I have seen both Big Fish and Dr. Parnassus.

The Greatest Show on Earth is considered one of the worst ever best picture winners, but I thought it was pretty good.

Also Carny (1980)

Love Carny...surprised I had to come this far down the thread to see it mentioned...The Greatest Show on Earth is OK, it had no business winning Best Picture and some of the acting is really dreadful.

I also recommend Carnivale. It lasted two seasons and is available on DVD. The plot arch was supposed to last five years but BO pulled the plug after two seasons because they invested a lot of money into the project and tey never seemed to move beyond a niche audience.