What Are Your Top 3 Favorite Albums?

Tools    

Been expanding my music collection recently and I am curious, what are your 3 most favorite albums, and what's one song you'd recommend from each?

Links encouraged!

Choosing different artists for each is also encouraged. >.>

Presently, mine would have to be...

3.) Greatest Hits by Foo Fighters

Been listening to Foo Fighters for years. It's an impossibly rare band that can put out an instantly classic album every time, but it's still an exceptional band that can totally sell you on at least one or two songs each time. 'Cause when that compilation album drops, you're gonna be rolling in your favorites. And that's what this is.

Sadly, it omits a few of my old favorites (no DOA, no Generator) and it was released prior to some of my new favorites (no Bridge Burning, no Something From Nothing) and instead it includes early stuff like Big Me, and This Is A Call. But that's not Foo Fighters. Foo Fighters crashed the party in 1997 with Everlong, kept rocking for 10 years and then reminded us they still had a bone to pick with The Pretender:

Will 2017 see another earth-shattering rock song? I hope so.

2.) Sequence Meditation by Access

No, you're seeing that correctly, the cover art is featureless black.

This is by far my most obscure album, and I happened upon it completely on accident. After liking Wings in my Eyes so much (better known as Hitomi No Tsubasa, one of several theme songs to the anime, Code Geass), I decided to dig around for more stuff by Access.

What I happened upon was a stunted, low-quality, minute and a half MP3 of a REALLY COOL instrumental track that abruptly ends. I was so intrigued that I pursued the lead to a Japanese wiki page that cited the song as Chemical Synapse, the beginning of the 1st Mvt. of something known as "Sequence Meditation". I found it on Amazon.jp and bought it blind.

So what is it? I'm still not entirely sure. I THINK it's a compilation album of instrumentals Access would briefly insert between their regular track listings. They just made an entire album out of it. Normally, Access is an 80s-inspired synthpop duo, but these instrumentals are something else, they're epic, dramatic, melancholy, uptempo, downtempo, soundtrack, VICTORY music, all with a common leitmotif that ties them together in some grandstanding clash of keyboard and guitar that begs to be played in a stadium.

This is the only one of the three tracks I've found in it's entirety. It's called Sequence Meditation 2nd Mvt.: Confusion. It contains the songs, Quantum Trip, Spectral Memory, and Touch Off.

1.) Beyond The Horizon by People in Planes

These guys popped up, idled for a few years, peaked with this album and then vanished off the face of the planet. Shame, cause it's easily my go-to favorite CD to pop in. They're like alternative rock but harder, synthier, and moodier, and with the right splash of variety to switch it up. Every song feels different and memorable. People in Planes is most often suggested hand in hand with the song, Pretty Buildings, but as much as that's a great song, I prefer the crunchier Mayday (M'Aidez):

What are your favorite albums?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	003617068_500.jpg
Views:	1426
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	25116   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet_black_3.jpg
Views:	1502
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	25117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foo_Fighters_-_Greatest_Hits.jpg
Views:	1448
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	25118  

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
If I can only pick one from each band/artist...

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
2. The Doors - The Doors
3. Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Master of My Domain
1. Rush - 2112
2. The Police - Reggatta de Blanc
3. The Pixies - Surfer Rosa

I'm not sure if I'd count a Greatest Hits Comp as an actual album; that's just me though, not saying it's wrong for you to do so or anything.

My top 3 albums are:

1. Perseverance (2002) by Hatebreed
Recommended song: Perseverance

2. Saturate (2002) by Breaking Benjamin
Recommended song: Polyamorous

3. Alaska (2005) by Between the Buried and Me
Recommended song: Alaska

2002 was the year that I really started paying attention to music (I was 11) and I discovered both of my top 2 albums that year. To this day Hatebreed is my all-time favorite band and Breaking Benjamin is my all-time favorite rock band. I lost interest in BTBAM with their later albums but Alaska is still to this day one of the most bad-ass albums I've ever heard. All 3 albums have stuck with me through the years and I greatly admire them.

I'll give you five, no order. Funny, I find that this is more an artist list than an album list, because I could pick a different album from almost all these guys and still be able to call them my favorite albums. This might not be definitive or anything, and maybe there's something I'm forgetting, but whatevs.

Bon Iver, Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Justin Vernon has been my musical hero for a while now, and I consider this his masterpiece. A lot of people think he's for hipster losers... but the smart ones see him as the talented musician he is. First and foremost, his music just resonates me on a really powerful level. But I also see his work as extremely well-made musically. I love how his music seems to organically flow from segment to segment.... making each part of a song go together like PB&J is incredibly hard to do, but Vernon seems to do it effortlessly. Vernon's music, I GUESS, is not for everyone - I find that sentiment strange, though, because his music is definitely for me and it's hard to see how anyone could dislike it.

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Let me get something straight. I think Dark Side of the Moon is the most perfect album ever created. Why am I not putting it on this list? Well, I am replacing it with Wish You Were Here, because I am a little burnt out on Dark Side of the Moon while this one still gives me a lot of listening pleasure. If Justin Vernon is my hero as a single musician, Pink Floyd is that as a band. They are my favorite band, and they are geniuses.

Tri Repetae - Autechre

Autechre is another favorite of mine, and my favorite electronic act. They endlessly inspire me to think differently and creatively as a musician. I love how they record strange sounds and manipulate them into their music. My favorite work of theirs, well, it's a tie between Amber and Tri Repetae. I went with Tri Repetae because it's slightly more experimental. But both are masterworks.

Bitches Brew - Miles Davis

Should I have gone with Kind of Blue? Maybe. Maybe. But I've been really digging Bitches Brew lately. It's a little more experimental, a little more happenin' in it's energy to me. That doesn't make it better - but I have listened to Kind of Blue a lot, while Bitches Brew is still a bit fresh to my ears. Alas, Miles Davis is one of the greatest musicians in history period, and another one who inspires me a great deal. So I had to put one of his albums on here.

A Love Supreme - John Coltrane

As good as any of Miles' best work, in my personal opinion. Seriously. This album is off the chain. This album and Miles' collective best work - and to a slightly SLIGHTLY lesser extent, Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet and Chet by Chet Baker - make up my favorite jazz albums, right now. Though I have a lot yet to explore in the genre!

It is very difficult for me to choose only three favourite albums. So here are three I am really enjoying right now.

Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express

Ziad Rahbani - بالنسبة لبكره.... شو؟ (As for tomorrow... What?)

Ziad is one of my favourite Lebanese musicians and composers. I grew up listening to his popular albums and this is one I have only been listening to in the past month or so and I love it. He is the composer and lyricist. The vocalist on this album is a Lebanese singer called Joseph Saqr.

And last but not least,

Bjork - Debut

I have heard a lot about Bjork but have not listened to any of her music previously. I am loving Debut and will hopefully be checking out the rest of her albums.

I'm partial to The Dance myself.

Originally Posted by False Writer
I'm not sure if I'd count a Greatest Hits Comp as an actual album; that's just me though, not saying it's wrong for you to do so or anything.
Jerk.

Naw, kidding, but I know what you mean. If I were to choose strictly traditional albums (no compilations or soundtracks), I think I would chooooose...

3.) Astro Lounge by Smash Mouth

Admittedly, this is a guilty pleasure since there are songs on here I really don't like, but besides them is some truly infectious pop-rock. Everyone knows All Star which I'm not gonna link to 'cause it's been played to death, but I am gonna put my favorite song which, once again, isn't even the most popular one on the album. Radio.

2.) Middle of Nowhere by Hanson

Back when N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, and Britney Spears were poppin' it up, the long-haired Hanson brothers totally stole my attention with one album. Despite growing older and continuing to play even to this day, I've yet to hear anything out of them to top Middle of Nowhere. Ironically, despite an album full of pop songs (MMMBop, which was almost ironically popular), it's a sad song about a missing person called Yearbook that managed to cement itself as my favorite.

If I was able to choose soundtracks?

3.) Persona 3 OST by Shoji Meguro

Out of the 58 songs on this 2-disc soundtrack, there's only one I dislike and that's only because it has one of the most gratingly repetitive intros I've ever heard. Beyond that it's a great song and a memorable soundtrack that could only be described as Japanese Synth/Orchestral /Jazz/Pop/Rock/Rap. It sounds really weird, but as much as I actually HATED the game it's from, I have to admit I was head-boppin' the whole way. Imagine coming home after a hard days work to Iwatodai Dorm:

2. Saturate (2002) by Breaking Benjamin
Recommended song: Polyamorous
I prefer more of their later stuff, So Cold from We Are Not Alone being my favorite song of theirs. I actually own their greatest hits compilation.

1. Perseverance (2002) by Hatebreed
Recommended song: Perseverance

3. Alaska (2005) by Between the Buried and Me
Recommended song: Alaska
I can dig the instrumental, but it's the vocals that kill it for me. I like vocals to supplement the existing music with harmony.

Even Breaking Benjamin wears on me pretty quickly with that same tone of voice you hear from Three Days Grace, Seether, and Skillet.
Originally Posted by Swan
First and foremost, his music just resonates me on a really powerful level. But I also see his work as extremely well-made musically. I love how his music seems to organically flow from segment to segment....
Give us an example!

You guys should give examples! 'Cause to be honest that's many hours of music roll through right now.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ae9fc940-9424-0131-99e5-6afa381001ae.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	25129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smash_Mouth_-_Astro_Lounge.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	25130   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_mx5bz063LM1qlefcxo1_1385931996_cover.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	25131  

I'm partial to The Dance myself.
The Dance is excellent and it was my favorite Fleetwood Mac album back when I was a teenager and was obsessed with the band as a whole. These days though I pretty much only care about Lindsey Buckingham and Tusk is pretty much the first Buckingham solo album. I do also really love Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks' contributions to the album, but Lindsey Buckingham is basically the musical equivalent of Joaquin Phoenix for me.

Who knows overall but in 2016 so far at least i think it has been;

1.Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

2.PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

3.My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

A few more albums that I really love:

We Are Smug

This is a side project by Darren Hayes, the former singer for Savage Garden. He does most of the vocals on the album, though a few songs are sung by someone else. I love his voice and this album is more diverse than either SG or his solo albums.

Far and away my favorite track is Hot Tub Blues though I love pretty much everything Hayes has done.

Throwing Copper (Live)

These guys were big when I was in junior high and I never stopped loving their sound. My favorite from this album has always been Lightning Crashes, but for me there isn't really a weak spot on it.

Wander This World (Jonny Lang)

I'm not typically big on blues or blues rock, but I love Lang's sound. It also helps immensely that my favorite female vocalist, Bekka Bramlett, performed backing vocals on several tracks including my favorite, Walking Away.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
My top five (can't do three, sorry) non metal albums of all time, in no particular order. I'll give some info and give a couple examples for each.

The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & The Lash

This album is one of the most beautifully eclectic albums I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. The Pogues are an Irish Punk/Folk/Rock ensemble who mix renditions of classic folk songs with songs of their own design to wonderful effect. The band have released seven albums to date, but the two that I listen to the most and actually own are "Rum Sodomy & The Lash" and a very close second favourite "If I Should Fall From Grace With God". This album beats out "If I Should Fall..." simply because the whole record is perfect, every song is perfectly crafted. The vocalist Shane MacGowan might be an acquired taste to some, but if you like an authentic folk/rock/punk experience, this is it. My two favourite tracks are "The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn" and "A Pair of Brown Eyes"

A Pair of Brown Eyes

The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn

AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset

When AFI started out they played pretty much straight up Hardcore punk for their first two albums, on the third album they began to take a turn towards darker subject matter switching from lyrics about high school problems to slightly more thematic and horror elements and drift closer to a horror punk sound. On their fourth album, this album, Black Sails in the Sunset, AFI takes on a musical and stylistic aesthetic akin to The Misfits which would last this album an EP and one more album before they really got popular and changed their sound again, for the worse imo. The funny thing is I remember making fun of a girl in high school for loving these guys and a few years out of school I heard a song from this album at a friends and was all "This is wicked, who is this??", and my buddy replies "AFI". Since then I've been a fan and had the pleasure of seeing them live, as well as owning their entire discography up to Sing The Sorrow. My favourite tracks on this album are "Malleus Maleficarum" and "God Called In Sick Today"

God Called In Sick Today

Malleus Maleficarum

Feist - Let It Die

When I was in twelfth grade I fell asleep with my TV on, as it was tuned into a station called MuchMoreMusic which is kind of like Canadian VH1. The channel used to play video flow after 1AM until 7AM which is basically a long ass playlist of music videos for 6 hours with no interruption. Around 3AM I woke up to a beautiful female voice, mellow instrumentation and an interesting music video. Proceeding to watch the remainder of the video and cursing that they only showed the artist and song at the beginning I went to school humming this song, and in film studies my friend Matt looked at me and said "are you humming Feist" I replied "Dude I heard this song at like 3AM and it's been stuck in my head since then". The best thing about this was he actually had this album on his iPod, so he gave me an earbud and proceeded to let me listen to the whole song then album, and I was so smitten with her voice and the musical arrangements she uses that I went and bought it myself that weekend. Her first album "Monarch" is also fantastic, "The Reminder" was full of catchy songs but that wore on me quickly and so that album saw maybe two full listens, I haven't heard her newest. From "Let It Die" my favourite songs are the single that started this all "One Evening" and the other standout on the album is "Gatekeeper"

One Evening

Gatekeeper

Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose

This album holds a very special place in my heart, the rawness and pure emotion that is put into this record is apparent from the first snare hit of the album. This album is honest with itself and the listener, the songs are unpolished and rough but they make you want to sing along in the worst way, make you want to have a beer, or ten, makes you feel how the artists feel. I've been fortunate enough to see these guys twice, once in a very tiny, crowded, smoky bar where they played the classics(first three albums), then once after they got big (but before the vocalist became a female). I basically disregard all of their releases past this though as they're a bit too poppy for me, and tend to lack the fiery personal politics, tongue in cheek jabs at counter culture and anti-establishment which endeared me to them in the first place. The album itself almost plays like a story at times and certain songs create their own narratives, which are only made better by the passionate performance of the vocals and instruments. It's not the most technically savvy music, but you can really see the love and anger poured into it. My favourite tracks on this album are the first song "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong", "Baby, I'm An Anarchist" and "Walking Is Still Honest"

Baby, I'm An Anarchist

Pints of Guinness Make You Strong

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness

Ok so I kind of lied, this album is basically metal, but it's not extreme and it's closer in nature to a band like The Cure, just with a heavier edge. Katatonia (who hail from Sweden) originally played Death/Doom but as they progressed and grew from teenagers they changed their musical direction to a more gothic/melodic sound after the first few releases. Starting with "Discouraged Ones" the band used only clean singing and showcased a more melodic sound, even featuring a cover from Jeff Buckley on "Tonight's Music". Viva Emptiness was my first exposure to this band, during which I was in high school and I couldn't buy it so I downloaded it and burned a copy, listened to it so much I ruined the disc and had to make another. I think I went through two CD-R before I was able to find it and buy it about 3 months later. To this day I know every word to every song on this album, and to be entirely honest these guys were my favourite band for years and if asked who my favourite band is I still will reply Katatonia, because it's the most honest answer I can give. However, after this album they changed their musical direction towards something that I was personally not interested in, but don't discount it until you listen for yourself. My favourite tracks off this album are "Evidence", "Omerta" and "The Future of Speech"

Evidence

Omerta

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Les Rallizes dénudés - Cable Hogue Soundtrack
Luzmila Carpio - Yuyay Jap'ina Tapes
周璇 - 百代・中国時代曲名典
戸川純 & ヤプーズ - 裏玉姫
Лидия Русланова - Великие исполнители России XX века
Сергей Калугин - Nigredo

#notforplebs
#snobtaste
#hipster

Been expanding my music collection recently and I am curious, what are your 3 most favorite albums, and what's one song you'd recommend from each?
1: Speak for Yourself by Imogen Heap (recommend Daylight Robbery)
2: Overpowered by Róisín Murphy (recommend Checkin' on Me)

I'm struggling to think of a third.

3.) Astro Lounge by Smash Mouth

Admittedly, this is a guilty pleasure since there are songs on here I really don't like, but besides them is some truly infectious pop-rock. Everyone knows All Star which I'm not gonna link to 'cause it's been played to death, but I am gonna put my favorite song which, once again, isn't even the most popular one on the album. Radio.

Ah man I remember Smash Mouth was the definitive pop band of the really late 90s/really early 2000s. You literally heard All Star everywhere you went. It actually gets me a bit nostalgic thinking about it.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Far and away my favorite track is Hot Tub Blues though I love pretty much everything Hayes has done.
That was different.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
I'm not typically big on blues or blues rock, but I love Lang's sound. It also helps immensely that my favorite female vocalist, Bekka Bramlett, performed backing vocals on several tracks including my favorite, Walking Away.
I like that one.

Originally Posted by AboveTheClouds
non metal
What about metal?

I went to school humming this song, and in film studies my friend Matt looked at me and said "are you humming Feist" I replied "Dude I heard this song at like 3AM and it's been stuck in my head since then".
I totally see this getting stuck in my head too.

Edit: Already caught myself whistling.

Axl Rose
Tough to think of Axl Rose without thinking of Axl Low.

Originally Posted by Mr Minio
#notforplebs
Oh yeah, I'll look up and listen to the entirety of all six of those.