Rioting in the U.S.

Tools    

In Seattle it looked like the majority of rioters were white. Stats on that from actual footage would be interesting. I guess they didn't get their allotment of white privilege that particular day

BTW I find the term white privilege to be f'ning ugly. I came from a poor white family, I didn't get to go to college like a lot of you, we didn't live in a big house or get to have a bunch of stuff. So stop telling me I have white privilege.

We have a large homeless problem here around Seattle and outlaying areas. I have yet to see a black or minority homeless person. And I've seen a lot of them, on the streets and on the news. Every one I've seen so far has been white. I guess they didn't get their white privilege either.

I'll tell ya what white privilege is, it's a way that rich white college kids who grew up in a nice home with new cars can alleviate their guilt over having so much while the rest of us have so little...Yoda nailed it, it's about economic privilege. Rich people have rich affluent kids, who get lots of chances due to their money. Poor people have poor kids who have it much tougher and usually end up poor. It's all about economic privilege.

There was flooding when I lived in an apartment on the water before I met my wife. We used to live on the first floor, which got flooded, so then we moved to the second floor. We got another flood, no water damage this time but a loss of power for a few days. I was always out so I stayed while my parents went to a hotel. Went out with my friends and they dropped me off down the street in the middle of the night. They couldn't get down the street because of the water. I had brought a garbage back with me so I stepped into it to walk home. The National Guard ran up and stopped me because I matched the description of a looter. I was drunk but told them that I just got dropped off and pointed to where I lived. They asked for id, and I totally forgot it was my old address. Luckily I had my key and they just followed me to my door. Even more luckily I tried getting into the right apartment which was sometimes a problem. I thought it was funny at the time.

In Seattle it looked like the majority of rioters were white. Stats on that from actual footage would be interesting. I guess they didn't get their allotment of white privilege that particular day

BTW I find the term white privilege to be f'ning ugly. I came from a poor white family, I didn't get to go to college like a lot of you, we didn't live in a big house or get to have a bunch of stuff. So stop telling me I have white privilege.

We have a large homeless problem here around Seattle and outlaying areas. I have yet to see a black or minority homeless person. And I've seen a lot of them, on the streets and on the news. Every one I've seen so far has been white. I guess they didn't get their white privilege either.

I'll tell ya what white privilege is, it's a way that rich white college kids who grew up in a nice home with new cars can alleviate their guilt over having so much while the rest of us have so little...Yoda nailed it, it's about economic privilege. Rich people have rich affluent kids, who get lots of chances due to their money. Poor people have poor kids who have it much tougher and usually end up poor. It's all about economic privilege.
That's what I'm seeing, mostly whites causing the trouble.

I was homeless when we moved from Chicago to Boston. While staying at the Salvation Army I graduated 8th grade at a school with one other white person. Everyone there had more then I did. Never felt privileged either.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

White Privilege doesn't automatically mean if you are white you live a better life, it's not a FACT that blankets over every single white person in the world. It is more in line with people in the same social, economic and political circles It's not a term that means white people have never struggled, just like it doesn't mean accomplishments by white people are unearned.

Suspect's Reviews

White Privilege doesn't automatically mean if you are white you live a better life, it's not a FACT that blankets over every single white person in the world. It is more in line with people in the same social, economic and political circles It's not a term that means white people have never struggled, just like it doesn't mean accomplishments by white people are unearned.
That's part of the reason it shouldn't be used imo.

If white privilege isn't a fact...and doesn't apply to all white people...AND is more in line with people in the same social, economic and political circles...then it's not white privilege at all, it's economic privilege.

See what I think you're doing is: seeing the world from your own viewpoint: your white and not poor...so then you view most all white people as living like you do in relative comfort and then label that white privilege. But that's a fallacy as millions of white people are dirt poor and millions of blacks and minorities are middle or upper economic class.

If white privilege isn't a fact...and doesn't apply to all white people...AND is more in line with people in the same social, economic and political circles...then it's not white privilege at all, it's economic privilege.

See what I think you're doing is: seeing the world from your own viewpoint: your white and not poor...so then you view most all white people as living like you do in relative comfort and then label that white privilege. But that's a fallacy as millions of white people are dirt poor and millions of blacks and minorities are middle or upper economic class.
Perhaps, however white privilege extends to how blacks are TREATED in the US, not just how “economically well off” they are.

And another thing is that I thought we were supposed to be getting away from generalizing people by skin color or any other group that they belong to. I just think it's wrong to do, and the weird thing is that it's the social justice types who use it. It's just so hypocritical, but again, they think they are doing the right thing when in fact they are pissing people off and alienating them. I hear these things and I can't help but think it's people being brainwashed in college.

Perhaps, however white privilege extends to how blacks are TREATED in the US, not just how “economically well off” they are.
If we could say that all the white cops involved in black dead suspect cases were caused by racism, then I say yes to that part of it. But of the handful of cases, many of them have been shown not to be racist and to be justified in using force. This recent case IMO was NOT justified and I believe cop should've been charged with 2nd degree murder not 3rd.

I think bad cops get away with this stuff because of the 'thin blue line'... they look at other cops as their own and they take care of their own. It sucks anytime one of these events happen, one life wrongly lost is one too many.

Ahhhh, everyone always leaves out those poor Asians. But screw them, if the black community is struggling, let's see if we can knock the whites down a peg.

RIP David Dorn, a 77yo retired police officer killed by looters.

Are my eyes deceiving me because he looks black, but none of the stories mention it. Maybe it only matters sometimes.

I do not view all people as having the same social class as me, give me a break. Millions of black people are poor and millions of white people are middle to upper class. There, I just switched it and the fact still remains the same.

You get upset at the notion of white privilege. Those are your own issues to deal with.

I do not view all people as having the same social class as me, give me a break. Millions of black people are poor and millions of white people are middle to upper class. There, I just switched it and the fact still remains the same.

You get upset at the notion of white privilege. Those are your own issues to deal with.
Do you really think it's right to generalize people based on skin color? I though that's what racism was. Not calling you racist btw.

Do you really think it's right to generalize people based on skin color? I though that's what racism was. Not calling you racist btw.

I just find it funny people get butt hurt over a term like that and think its comparable.

You misunderstood my post (or maybe I wrote it poorly). What I was trying to say is, if you believe there's white privilege it's because of your own life's viewpoint. If you and the majority of white people you know have it good, it's easy to hold that up as an example of how most white people live...ergo white people live in privilege. If you were a poor white person your viewpoint would be very different.

If you meant something else by white privelge please explain. It sounded like you were saying economic privilege is white privilege.

@Yoda

Please shut this down. For real. This is doing no one any good.
Quit posting, don't shut it down for everyone else who wants to chat. But then, who cares about fair?