Game of Thrones: Season 8, The Final Season (spoilers)

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
So many whiners on the net these days. Serious question. Why did you watch when knew it was gonna suck? So many of you complaining about the writing. The writing was never very good. But the show had something, didn't it? Not gonna lie. When tyrion sat down at the table, I thought we were getting a sopranos ending. That would have been so funny. As much bitching as I've seen you'd almost think we had to pay for a ticket to this thing. Oh wait... Its just a dumb show on HBO? How dare they play with my emotions like that?
Of course we were gonna watch the finish. I was invested past the point of no return.

The writing was great, George Martins writing that is, and when they stopped having great stuff to copy from that's when the writing drastically dropped, not even just the story but basic scenes were written so badly. Who can forget some of the legendary stuff copied from the books, "I'm not questioning your honour, I'm denying it's existence". We haven't had a line that good for 4 seasons.

It isn't a dumb HBO show, for the most part it's a great adaptation that exposed the writers as woefully unequipped to the task when they ran out of source material.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I don’t think this show’s ending was ever going to live up to expectations. And as someone mentioned above. Most series go weaker as they go on.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Welcome to the human race...
I would think the fact that Jon ultimately never realises any sort of destiny is about par for the course, though. He's like Jack Burton in that his status as the ostensible protagonist is better when it's being undermined.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I think the mishandling of Jon is a big part of s8 being a letdown. In s7 he stands toe to toe with Dany as King ITN and a mutual love grows between them. We've been on a big journey with Jon and his only purpose in s8's endgame appears to be to unhinge Dany. He starts this series as some kind of live in boyfriend with no title and basically remains that way throughout, tiresomely repeating "your mah Kween" . Never takes down the NK despite that being destined, he isn't even present during the final meeting of Lords. It seems a much better ending for him to be offered the Throne only to decide for himself to go into the wild north. Also in the books we have the Wildling princess Val who it seems Jon will end up with so you have a silver lining ending for him. It's the omission of Val and other long term planning that has crippled the finish. Yes in the end he kills Dany but it's like the showrunners "kind of forgot" that he is a (or the) main character.

Lack if forward planning seems to come into it for Dany's turn too, as if they only decided to have her go bad after s7. I've seen a couple of interviews with Emilia Clarke and she talks about her sheer shock during the final read through. Surely if this was the big endgame your main actress would be aware of Mad Dany and would start to bring that into performances over the final seasons.

Look how they massacred my show!
I think that’s BS that they only decided to make her bad after season 7. I think George gave them that ending and they just executed it badly. The books will definitely make her bad too.

Lastly, apart from Breaking Bad no other show can claim to have maintained high standards from start to finish. It's not easy, and that's the truth we should all accept.

I had to Google the image. And yes, I haven't watched the Wire. Desperately want to change that since almost everyone who has watched it raves about it. Soon I will.

I think that’s BS that they only decided to make her bad after season 7. I think George gave them that ending and they just executed it badly. The books will definitely make her bad too.
It's executed very badly indeed if they didn't make Emilia Clarke fully aware.

Certainly the books will but maybe the TV shouldn't have, especially with the shorter seasons. That would've made the books a legendary surprise, but now we'll be looking for it if the books ever come.

It's executed very badly indeed if they didn't make Emilia Clarke fully aware.
Yeah, I think I agree. She needs to know that, so her performance can have that edge. Only exception would be if they specifically wanted the turn to be sudden and dramatic, in which case you get a better result by having her think she's playing the good guy. But I don't think that's the case.

Yea her quote is something like she walked round in a daze for hours after the readthrough, which doesn't happen if she knows about it. Also she says how the hell am I going to do this.

Must take hat off to her though, incredible acting all season when she hasn't always been that great.

Yeah, while the turn wasn't always setup properly, there's a lot of glares that, in retrospect (and honestly even at the time) were clearly conveying pent-up hatred. She did a good job.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I always felt that too. From my list earlier of moments where she teetered, I always got a solid vibe that she was on that fence. For me, Jorah was always that counterpoint needed to keep her grounded in sound judgment. In that context, and even though his death was dramatic, I did not feel they translated the real loss she took from his death. He was her anchor in a way. After his departure I personally feel that her behavior should have been much more exaggerated. Yes, she did show signs more frequently I suppose, but those were subtle camera framing for the most part (her jealous glances during the victory dinner and the close up on her eyes reflecting the fire at her side when later talking to Jon). Also, I didn't get the feeling that these moments were any worse than every other would be tantrum she's already had for seasons. Each of those always leveled off so why question it now? Well, Jorah is now gone and she only had Jon and, to a lesser extent, Tyrion to keep her balanced. Both were betraying her from her point of view so that perception created walls. Still all subtle considering the intensity required for her turn to feel acceptable.

My point is, Jorah's death probably should have been magnified quite a bit more and the connection between his death and his role as her only real life line on sanity should have been hammered harder.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

What an excellent day for an exorcism
We never did find out what happens to those human babies converted to white walkers. I haven't read the books, but articles I read, apparently in the books since they can't reproduce, that's how they procreate, snatching human babies and converting them to WW.

However, the article also mentioned this is wives tales in the book. There's nothing in the books that actually describes an infant WW growing up and becoming a full sized soldier.

Here's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

That's how his "lieutenants" are made, since they look different from the rotting zombies.

The Night King can mold an infant WW into a lieutenant.

Yeah, while the turn wasn't always setup properly, there's a lot of glares that, in retrospect (and honestly even at the time) were clearly conveying pent-up hatred. She did a good job.
Well, she read the script, no need for method

I cant really complain about how things ended, but I cant really rave about it either. It was just ok. There were some bright moments in the last episode:

Edmure trying to sneak in a self nomination to the throne was quite hilarious.
Sam pitching the idea of democracy and the comments that followed.
Tyrion discovering his siblings in the rubble was actually quite beautiful to me and a very somber moment.
The Dany death scene was not a shock at all and quite predictable, but I did enjoy Drogon punishing/destroying the throne and blaming it for her death.

Grey Worm carrying out the executions was quite disturbing, but I mean that in a good way character development wise.

Anyway I think it could have ended a lot worse, but there are still so many questions unanswered or at least not answered in enough detail.

Many are saying this should have ended sooner, but I think it needed another good 3 or 4 episodes to be played out correctly or at least in a more complete way. I still enjoyed it though, just wanted more.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Lastly, apart from Breaking Bad no other show can claim to have maintained high standards from start to finish. It's not easy, and that's the truth we should all accept.
I'd nominate SIX FEET UNDER for a better arc, story, quality and even BEST FINALE EVER. I've never seen a better series finale than theirs. I rewatch this entire series periodically and love it all over again.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Okay, I started the final episode and I honestly thought two things:

1. Where is Bronn? He HAS to show up again to claim his reward. (He did.)
2. I wonder if we'll see Tyrion dragging chairs around again. (HE DID.)

And of course MY favorite line was: "So you're Master of Grammar now too?"

Yes, this final season was rushed. But they didn't leave me hanging on anything important, and they didn't get cancelled before they could finish major storylines (unlike Deadwood, Carnivale, and numerous other shows...). In my book, I'll count it as a win-win.

And why is nobody mentioning googly-eyed Arya sailing off into the sunset with maps ready to be updated? I LOVED THAT.

Or are you guys all a bunch of Flat Earthers or something?

At least @Sedai now knows where Google Maps got started!

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Anybody that is upset about the finale, don't worry. This might of well been named Games of Thrones: A New Hope. The Arya: Pirates of the West of Westeros series will be here soon enough.

Anybody that is upset about the finale, don't worry. This might of well been named Games of Thrones: A New Hope. The Arya: Pirates of the West of Westeros series will be here soon enough.
Needle goes West

A system of cells interlinked

At least @Sedai now knows where Google Maps got started!

It's Googly Maps!

What an excellent day for an exorcism
It's genius! LOL! Actually they could re-brand the current series to...
Game of Thrones: Return of the Targaryen

Those series will then be followed by:
Game of Thrones: A New Hodor
Game of Thrones: The Unsullied Strike Back
Game of Thrones: Attack of the Free Folk
Game of Thrones: Revenge of the Lannisters
Game of Thrones: The Freys Awaken
....and Game of Thrones: The Last White Walker

And Rogue Arya would be a solo story.....