MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

If The Thing is next this prediction is not all bad... could be better though.

I’ll give this a go just for fun...

7. The Fly
8. The Thing
9. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
10. Suspiria
Anyways, TCM was not on my list but I like the movie. Very creep and effective. Good atmosphere.

Awesome, I love TCM, had it at #4, highest placing one yet.
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
7. Night of the Living Dead
8. Nosferatu (original)
11. The Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
15. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
16. Get Out
17. Nightmare on Elm Street
18. Suspiria
19. Saw
20. Scream
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
23. Repulsion
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

I expected it would be this high. This seems to be the go-to slasher movie for starters and for fans, especially due to its iconic torture scene involving the sound editing.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre was my #5.

My List:

1. The Omen (#35)
2. Let the Right One In (#14)
3. Night of the Living Dead (#17)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#70)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#8)
7. An American Werewolf in London (#16)
8. Nosferatu (#27)
10. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (#25)
11. Diabolique (#75)
15. Repulsion (#24)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

Ditching the Megan Fox avatar for one of myself to talk about Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) from A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984). The character of Nancy is deliberately cast as a middle-class "girl next door," and set against Freddy Krueger who's exceedingly "Hollywood" with his classic fedora, James Cagney-inspired postures, rugged glove with the fingerknives, and impressive silhouette. I've arrived at the interpretation that Krueger's like a manifestation of Hollywood's attempts to infiltrate the audience's awareness with their bizarre agendas, which matches up with the History of the 60s Through Film class I took a couple years ago in my film minor program where we learned of Hollywood as America's Dream Factory, in which films can subtly or often blatantly endeavor to affect social change in its audience. In that way, Freddy's the visual representation of movies intruding on middle class Americans like Langenkamp's Nancy Thompson, who lives in a simple neighborhood on Elm Street where she goes to school and hangs out with her friends Tina, Rod, and Glen. Casting some 1980s glamorous coached-up Hollywood bimbo to play Nancy would've been all wrong for the part. And as the story plays out, only her resilience drives back the intrusion of Krueger in her neighborhood. In this way, a modern reading of Krueger's that he's akin to a Movie, trying to subdue you the audience to its agendas and desires, and Nancy is the audience, and in her case she's an empowered one. Tina, Rod, and Glen are far easier for Krueger to claim as his own, yet Nancy's defiance makes her Freddy's ultimate challenge and a suitable opponent. While people probably associate me with Freddy, from the first time I saw the film it was Nancy who pulled me in through this relationship and contest, as well as her book on booby traps and improvised anti-personel devices which she puts to use. Wes Craven had a knack for horror which engages thoughts more than the usual teenage body film, as he's an intelligent filmmaker. Definitely prefer his more traditional take on Americana through his Elm Street story, than say, David Lynch, who's a lot more warped and oddball through films such as Eraserhead. This one and Craven's Scream films leave me with a FAR better energy level, and while Lynch's have fine artistry, they're gloomy and on the depressing side. Since it's my favorite movie, I can always say more about Elm Street.

Nostromo Top 25 Horror Flicks

24. Deep Red (1975)
23. Scream (1996)
14. Zombieland (2009)
13. Friday The 13th Part III (1982)
11. Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (1931)
9. The Evil Dead (1981)
2. Friday The 13th (1980)
1. A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984)

I AM NANCY

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nancy and Tina.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	53995   Click image for larger version

Name:	ElmSt Cast.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	53996  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
While I have seen TCM, for some reason I've enjoyed TCM II just a little more. Perhaps it's the dark humor in it.

Films Watched: 53 out of 93
#2 Carrie #45)
#4 Ringu (#31)
#8 Dawn of the Dead (#8)
#9 Freaks (#55)
#11 Hellraiser (#53)
#13 The Evil Dead (#18)
#16 Sinister (#76)
#17 The Omen (#35)
#19 An American Werewolf in London (#16)
#20 The Devil's Backbone (#89)
#21 Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (#84)
#22 Theatre of Blood (#103)
#23 Re-Animator (#88)
#24 Final Destination (2000) Didn't make it. I actually had to do a double take to be SURE that it wasn't place at a lower spot.
#25 28 Days Later (#23)

TCM would seem to suit my taste as much as any movie, but for some reason I've never been a big fan. My last viewing was by far my best though.

Welcome to the human race...
Not really - despite the title, there's barely any blood in it (not even when someone actually does get chainsawed), most of the deaths are over quickly, and any torture is more psychological than physical. Much like Halloween, it's a film that gets by largely on atmosphere, implication, and suspense.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen either Suspiria or The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, and I have no interest in seeing either movie.

I liked The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and consider it top-3 slasher. Unfortunately I don't like slashers that much so such recognition wasn't enough to land it on my list.

Seen: 82/93

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I love the Texas Chainsaw Masacre. I can’t remember if I sent my list in or not?.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Seen 66/93. Some others I’ve seen bits and pieces of though too. But yeah...

My list so far:

6. The Fly (1986) #10
7. The Conjuring (2013) #29
8. Mother! (2017) #86
10. Jacob’s Ladder (1990) #67
12. Night of the Living Dead (1968) #17
13. The Others (2001) #38
14. The Descent (2005) #40
16. An American Werewolf in London (1981) #16
17. Get Out (2017) #39
18. Let the Right One In (2008) #14
19. Poltergeist (1982) #15
20. Ginger Snaps (2000) #91
21. The Blair Witch Project (1999) #34
22. The Devil’s Backbone (2001) #89
23. Carrie (1976) #45

I think I’m gonna wait with the reveal of other entries even if there’s a few on there I know won’t make it.

A Nightmare on Elm Street left me speechless after I first saw it as a kid. It was instantly my favorite movie ever. From the opening credits to the next to last scene it was the perfect slasher movie. Whereas Scream resurrected the slasher pic ANOES gave the genre a much needed shot of adrenaline just as it was starting to get stale. Had it at lucky #13.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was the movie nobody's parents would let us watch when we were kids. It was vile. It was too violent. It would corrupt us. Needless to say when I finally saw it one thing became very clear - none of our parents had actually seen this. There was no gore. No boobs (gimme a break I was a kid) It was slow. It looked terrible. I hated it. But....I gave it another chance several years later and I'm glad I did. A more mature HF thought it was an unrelenting masterpiece. The ultimate ick movie. Today I own it on vhs, dvd and blu-ray, watch it at least once a year and had it at #4.

A while back when Re-Animator made the list I mentioned that there was one more movie I had forgotten about and should have included on my list. That movie made the list at #10 -The Fly.

Seen 73
So Far:
4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre #8
6. The Haunting #43 #8
7. The Descent #40
8. Sinister #76
9. Return of the Living Dead - A Big Fat DNP
10. Poltergeist #13
12. The Wailing #69
13. A Nightmare on Elm Street #12
14. [rec] #59
15. Freaks #55
16. The Evil Dead #13
18. Scream #18
19. Carrie #45
20. Event Horizon #49
23. Martyrs #47
24. The Omen #35

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The seven movies left are:
The Shining
Psycho
Silence of the Lambs
The Exorcist
Halloween
Alien
The Thing

Right? That means my #1 didn't make the list. Surprising.