A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Stephen King wrote a book called The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Well, I am The Guy Who Loves Stuart Gordon (R.I.P.).

I posted my Dagon review a while back. Here are few more reviews of his movies that I've written:

From Beyond -

Like Stuart Gordon's preceding movie, Re-Animator, From Beyond is about scientists playing with the laws of nature who don't realize the consequences of their actions until it's too late. Re-Animator vets Jeffrey Combs as the more skeptical scientist and Barbara Crampton as his psychiatrist are in their prime. You could say the same about the creature effects of Nightmare on Elm Street vet Mark Shostrom, which are easily on par with Rick Baker and Rob Bottin's work. It's not a classic like Re-Animator and the ending is a little too pat, not to mention employs an oft-parodied cliché than dilutes its tension. Even so, it deserves credit for being full-fledged and filler-free in spite of being borne from a short story that is only 7 pages long.

Dolls -

While Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator and From Beyond have been heaped with praise, and rightly so, Dolls is arguably on par with them. It has all the qualities that have made Gordon's preceding movies endure, including an artisanal, handcrafted look and feel, strong performances from the entire cast and scares that give you chills and make you laugh at their audacity. Speaking of the cast, the standouts are Carolyn Purdy-Gordon, who makes Rosemary equally loathsome and funny and Stephen Lee as Judy's childlike ally Ralph. All the same, Carrie Lorraine - who actually resembles a doll herself - is the MVP for how well she expresses her desire to be understood, and well, parented. Also, the handcrafted quality I mentioned is most evident in the doll effects, which thankfully avoid the uncanny valley that typically mars horror movies like this one. The movie is also valuable as a cultural artifact for how it depicts what got on people's nerves during the late '80s: in addition to Judy's yuppie parents, the Hartwickes' cadre of uninvited guests include a pair of punk rockers. Some of the worldbuilding is confusing, and while that may be on purpose, it took me out of the movie a few times, and Mr. Hartwicke's moralizing at the end seems redundant. Regardless, it's still a very entertaining and thoughtful exploration of the fear of your toys coming to life and the possibly even worse fear of your parents never or never desiring to understand you.

Castle Freak -

This Stuart Gordon horror yarn is about the American Reilly family - John (the legendary Jeffrey Combs), Susan (Barbara Crampton) and their blind daughter Rebecca (Jessica Dollarhide) - who inherit a castle in Italy. Already damaged by a death in the family and John's alcoholism, an uninvited guest in the castle's basement makes matters even worse. While not a classic like Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator, it's still a very satisfying entry in his filmography, mostly because of the castle's creepy vibe, the freak's unnerving depravity, the father's Jack Torrance-like volatility and the Reilly family's foreign alienation. Also, Combs once again proves that he's one of the best horror actors in the business.

My Stuart Gordon rankings:

1. Re-Animator
2. Dolls
3. From Beyond
4. Dagon
5. Castle Freak
6. Edmond

I hope to see the rest of his movies some day, especially Fortress, King of the Ants and Robot Jox (which is completely unavailable, apparently).

If I were to rank those I haven't seen in order of how much I want to see them, it would be...

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
2. Sunrise (1927)
3. Touch of Evil (1958)
4. Brazil (1984)
5. Ikiru (1952)

So yeah, I need to get on that. I think there are several cuts, right? I know the TC is a no-no, but the DC should be the one?
What! Touch of Evil deserves better! But at least it beat Brazil on your list...

If I were to rank those I haven't seen in order of how much I want to see them, it would be...

2. Sunrise (1927)
3. Touch of Evil (1958)
4. Brazil (1984)
5. Ikiru (1952)

So yeah, I need to get on that. I think there are several cuts, right? I know the TC is a no-no, but the DC should be the one?
Aw, no City Lights?

Re: The RT 100 List, I've seen 87, so yay!

These are the ones I haven't seen, so let's see who can sell them to me
37. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) - dude.
46. City Lights (1931) - duuuude!
84. Touch of Evil (1958) - DUDE!?

WARNING: spoilers below
I still haven't seen ONE Kurosawa film, despite being a charter subscriber to the Criterion Channel.

A system of cells interlinked

Just make sure to avoid the shorter "Love Conquers All" version that hit theaters back then. If I recall, there are two other cuts floating around, one European and one American, but they are quite similar. I have the Criterion Edition, and am not at home right now to check exactly which of the longer cuts it contains.

The Godfather Part I and II and Psycho are my biggest blind spots in cinema. However, I plan to watch Psycho at the end of this month, so I'm slowly righting my wrongs.

46. City Lights (1931) - duuuude!
84. Touch of Evil (1958) - DUDE!?

WARNING: spoilers below
I still haven't seen ONE Kurosawa film, despite being a charter subscriber to the Criterion Channel.
DUUUDEE!!

Seriously, though, I saw my first Kurosawa (Yojimbo) in 2013, and my second Kurosawa (Rashomon) in 2018, so I'm not that far away (I've seen four already, so you can catch me easily).

Welcome to the human race...
So I decided to check which films from the aforementioned lists I hadn't seen. First, the horror one...

Trick 'r' Treat
Cemetery Man
Lake Mungo
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Thing From Another World
Curse of the Demon
Triangle
The Phantom of the Opera (25)
The Bride of Frankenstein

Then the general one...

F for Fake

Not too bad, I guess.

37. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
Shame.

86. Days of Heaven (1978)
SHAME!

100. The Red Shoes (1948)
SHAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEEE!!!!

(You will LOVE The Red Shoes, and I wager you'll also be a big fan of Passion of Joan of Arc)

So I decided to check which films from the aforementioned lists I hadn't seen. First, the horror one...

Trick 'r' Treat
Cemetery Man
Lake Mungo
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Thing From Another World
Curse of the Demon
Triangle
The Phantom of the Opera (25)
The Bride of Frankenstein
Lake Mungo is one of my all time favorites. I think that it borders more on a supernatural thriller/drama, but I'm in love with its pace and how well it executes the beats and look of a documentary.

Curse of the Demon is a more recent watch for me (the last two years or so) and it's easily become one of my favorites. I love the look of it and especially the finale.

Re: The RT 100 List, I've seen 87, so yay!

These are the ones I haven't seen, so let's see who can sell them to me

37. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
46. City Lights (1931)
61. Paris, Texas (1984)
73. F for Fake (1973)
81. Bicycle Thieves (1948)
82. Sunrise (1927)
83. La Dolce Vita (1960)
84. Touch of Evil (1958)
86. Days of Heaven (1978)
87. Brazil (1984)
93. Ikiru (1952)
99. Three Colors: Red (1994)
100. The Red Shoes (1948)

Seriously speaking, most of them are on my watchlists, but I just haven't gotten to them for whatever reasons. Joan of Arc in particular is one that I'm looking forward to.
I missed Assassination of Jesse James. That's another one I haven't seen.

I love horror. I love drag.

I've previously given a shoutout to horror-drag competition Dragula, mostly to a response of *crickets*.

But if you are a fan, Dragula: Resurrection just came out on Shudder. (If you haven't watched the show before, I'd recommend season 2 as a good starting point--I think they are on Netflix).

If you enjoy learning about costumes and/or effects, this is highly recommended. Not only is there an interesting conversation about the role of marginalized populations (people of color, gay/lesbian people, trans people) within horror, there are some cool looks at how they create the costumes and effects for their shows.

I also really enjoy the different interpretations of the themes, such as witches, ghosts, a haunted Old West town, or even a Cenobite-themed show.

I rewatched Requiem For a Dream (which isn't strictly a horror movie, but is still terrifying) yesterday and man, it hasn't aged a bit. It still scares me more than most horror films I've seen. With this viewing, I think I figured out what makes it work so well, which is its enormous level of craft. Aronofsky scares you in so many ways with such an immense variety of editing/camera/lighting techniques which occur one after another that my experience watching it was akin to a complete assault on my senses.

I guess in keeping with the general conversation, what do you consider your horror "blindspots", if you have any?

The ones I hear about most often but haven't seen are:

Rosemary's Baby
King Kong
The Fly
Day of the Dead
The Wolf Man
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

And then a whole slew of 60s titles like Masque of the Red Death.

Using the RT horror list posted upthread as a guide:

1) Psycho
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3) Poltergeist
4) Let the Right One In
5) Eyes Without a Face
6) Scream
7) The Wicker Man
8) The Omen
9) The Haunting
10) The Phantom of the Opera

Psycho and Poltergeist, however, are on my watchlist for this month though.

My Stuart Gordon rankings:

1. Re-Animator
2. Dolls
3. From Beyond
4. Dagon
5. Castle Freak
6. Edmond

I hope to see the rest of his movies some day, especially Fortress, King of the Ants and Robot Jox (which is completely unavailable, apparently).
I grew up a big fan of Gordon, and thought Robot Jox was his worst movie as a teen; boring and too family friendly from what I remember. If wikipedia is to be believed, I wish Joe Haldeman had gotten his way with the script. I liked Gordon's more customarily pulpy sci-fi movie Space Truckers much better. The humor falls flat, but it at least has his trashy fun style. And Fortress is still a schlocky favorite of mine, head and shoulders above the former two.

His Masters of Horror episodes, Pit and the Pendulum, and Stuck are decent from what I remember, but it's been a while. I was lukewarm on King of the Ants, but it's aptly bizarre and violent. I still seek Daughter of Darkness.

Based on this and a couple of your posts in the 'Rate...' thread, you've got good taste. Welcome to the forum.

2. Sunrise (1927)
3. Touch of Evil (1958)
4. Brazil (1984)
5. Ikiru (1952)

Yeah, everybody get mad at Thief for not having seen The Passion of Joan of Arc. Truly the worst thing any of us have said about that movie...

*nervously tugs collar*

Hereditary was being sold as the ‘scariest’ film to date, and few would argue that it’s not at least creepy and well-constructed, narrative-wise.
...does anyone else want to tell him, or should I?

RE: The greatest films list above:

89/100 Seen

That said, That list has some seriously odd stuff going on. Unforgiven all the way up at 97, with chaff like Refn's Drive ahead of it. Also, Chinatown all the way down at 41? That a serious violation. Towne's script is pretty much perfect, the performances are all legendary, and the twist and ending don't even think about copping out. I would complain if Chinatown didn't make the Top 10, but man, down in the 40s???

Back to Unforgiven for a second... 97th? I demand an explanation immediately!

Either there was a targeted conspiracy against Westerns in general, or a serious deficit in the taste of the voting group for that film to place that low. Again, one of the best scripts ever written, IMO. Top notch performances from screen legends like Gene Hackman, stellar cinematography, a memorable score...
Couldn't agree with you more, man (although I do like Drive a lot, while I'm on the subject here).