25th Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
About Elly -
CONTAINS SPOILERS

This is the first Iranian film I've ever seen, and it did not disappoint. First, talk about suspense! I give it credit for keeping me on the edge of my seat from the seaside incident to the sad revelation of Elly's fate. It's also a breath of fresh air to see a movie do this simply through the power of writing and acting and that my special effect-addled brain took to the attempt. I also found it interesting how Elly's disappearance revealed the true situation amongst the friends, their spouses and their children. It's not such a good sign when everyone's first impulse is to lie and make excuses about what happened - oh, and how telling is it that the children were the least willing to go along with it - instead of being truthful and forthcoming. I also like how the movie is about Sepideh as much as it is about Elly without being obvious about it. From the most uncomfortable scene in the movie - Sepideh's confrontation with husband Amir - and the most bittersweet one - Elly's expressions of joy while playing with the kite - it's one of the most heartbreaking attempts of living vicariously through someone else I can remember seeing in a movie. Speaking of, I don't know how much freedom the Iranian government allows filmmakers, but I do know the country is one of the most patriarchal in the world and thus no doubt takes the institution of marriage seriously. Regardless of what Asghar Farhadi and company could get away with, credit goes to them for producing a movie, and such a good one, that's so critical of the institution and honest in depicting the consequences of when it goes badly.

Again, Iranian cinema had been one of my most glaring blind spots. Thanks to rauldc14 for the strong introduction.
Been enjoying Iranian films lately. Just scratched the surface. Glad you enjoyed!

Been enjoying Iranian films lately. Just scratched the surface. Glad you enjoyed!
It looks like the director has a few other well-regarded movies (A Separation, The Salesman, etc.) and that they're on VOD as well. Looking forward to seeing them.

And yes, I keep track of what countries I have seen movies from.
In an Excel spreadsheet.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I expected a musical when I watched it but it's not at all. I guess there's musical versions of the same story.
The more recent versions have been so it's a common mistake to think that most versions are.

Again, Iranian cinema had been one of my most glaring blind spots. Thanks to rauldc14 for the strong introduction.
My top recommendation for Iranian cinema goes to A Moment of Innocence. It might be hard to track down, but if you're able to come across it, I highly recommend giving it a go.

Just one. It would be great to have you. The full rules/guidelines are on the 2nd post.
Thanks, CR. Looking at the nominations, there are several movies I didn't care for, and a couple of others I have no desire to see, so I'll have to skip this one. However I'll enjoy reading some of the commentary.

I'm in for whenever the next noir HOF rolls around..

Thanks, CR. Looking at the nominations, there are several movies I didn't care for, and a couple of others I have no desire to see, so I'll have to skip this one. However I'll enjoy reading some of the commentary.

I'm in for whenever the next noir HOF rolls around..
I just watched an interesting noir last night: They Won't Believe Me (1947) with Robert Young as a 'kept man', the lovely Jane Greer as his would-be girlfriend and the petulant Susan Hayward as a gold digging hottie. So now I'm in the mood for more noir! After the current crop of HoFs are winding down I'd be up to host another Noir HoF.

I just watched an interesting noir last night: They Won't Believe Me (1947) with Robert Young as a 'kept man', the lovely Jane Greer as his would-be girlfriend and the petulant Susan Hayward as a gold digging hottie. So now I'm in the mood for more noir! After the current crop of HoFs are winding down I'd be up to host another Noir HoF.
Always down for noir lol
That looks good. Have you checked any of the French noirs? Specifically by Melville? Seen a couple and looking to see more of his.

Always down for noir lol
That looks good. Have you checked any of the French noirs? Specifically by Melville? Seen a couple and looking to see more of his.
No, not many anyway. I did see Le Samouraï which was in the last HoF (I believe)...awesome film! So I should check out more of Melville's noirs, hint, hint

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I've been thinking about proposing a 50s HoF, last 2 were amazing

The Long Goodbye aka A Layman's Guide to Match Striking Locations (1973)

Det. Green: My, my, you are a pretty @sshole.
Philip Marlowe: Yeah, my mother always tells me that.

Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlow ala Robert Altman.
Chandler's descriptive banter transposed by Altman's offhanded sarcasm is not the only change, along with the time period of the famous gumshoe, but, rather successfully, Altman changes around a few keynotes of Chandler's The Long Goodbye. Including the ending, so that many Chandler purists voiced their outrage when this film debuted.

I do not. Being a fan of the character, Chandler's writing style, and the many film renditions and inspired/parodies of his work throughout the decades. Along with, previously a limited fan of Altman's movies, I have grown in appreciation of his career and what I first thought of as a dismissive portrayal by Sterling Hayden, who really was as drunk and as high as his character is meant to be during filming. That recent appreciation came about during a Noir HoF discussion that included a video interview with Hayden, supplied by @Citizen Rules.

Altman's cynicism is fertile ground that contrasts the more playful root subject matter. Though meandering and, at times, what appears as senseless conversations (a staple of Altman), there really is a kind of messy poetry to this Marlow adaption.
Elliot Gould slips into the sarcastic, casually indifferent, constantly smoking persona with natural ease, resembling his previous role of "Trapper" John in Altman's M*A*S*H whom I've been endeared to since childhood.

A solid Altman film that I've appreciated more and more throughout a lifetime of revisits.

Themroc (Claude Faraldo, 1973)

This was my pick (which I hadn't seen before) and based on the description of it I knew this could really go either way despite being something that's clearly the type of thing I usually go for. I apologize to the people who have to watch this that don't go for this kind of thing because wow you're in for 1h45 of annoyance, lmao (between this and Hanagatami I'm sure Allaby has had enough of me by now ).
That being said, I f**ked with this heavy. Definitely a movie that could only be made in the 70's, that post-technicolor time where every colour film looked like mud and we all loved it. This film is just gross looking from the first frame on and I'm here for it though admittedly it took me awhile to settle into it. I didn't really know how I felt during the initial setup and I will say its because the film doesn't handle this part all that well but once Michel Piccoli goes full return to monke it's a blast. It's like if on-all-the-drugs-era Harmony Korine tried making a Jacques Tati film. I don't really know what to say about it, it is a 1-note film. Once it gets going that's just what it is the whole time but it just keeps blaring that note louder and louder. It's got that free, open-air approach that I always appreciate, its loud and abrasive and dumb, which pretty much sums up my taste. While the last scene gets a little ham-fisted with its point, its just so cool it doesn't even matter. Also, how could I not love a film where -
WARNING: "cool stuff" spoilers below
cops get eaten.

I don't remember much about that one. Will have to re-watch. It's interesting to see some of Robert Young's early films because later as you know he established himself as an upstanding, honest, goodie-two-shoes type guy. I think by the time of Goodbye, My Fancy (1951) he'd made the transition to pure good guy with high moral character..

And yes, I keep track of what countries I have seen movies from.
In an Excel spreadsheet.
Don't we all?

Well, if you're any kind of film geek, you should!

Now that Iran is checked, my next to-do is Chile. I can't believe I haven't seen any movies from there yet.

Nope I don't track or record any of the movies I watch. That way when I mistakenly rewatch something that I though was a 1st time watch...I get that warm, fuzzy deja vu feeling

I don't keep track of the countries, but I do log the movies on Letterboxd and imdb. Keep tracking in a spreadsheet would be cool, but feels like a lot of work. Good job for you folks that do that.