Movie Forums Awards - The Nominees

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
2nd Annual Mofo Film Awards

Ladies and gentlemen, the time has come...

After collecting the lists from our members, we have our nominees for this year's Mofo Awards. When we have the event, there will be statuettes for the winners and a nice little video opening containing all the nominees. Been putting it together as the lists come in accordingly.

But enough with the babble, let's get to the categories and the nominees, shall we?

You have until March 31st 2015 to vote. One month, clean fast and simple. PM me your votes. If you haven't nominated a film, you can still vote. So please, let's get a good turn out for this one.

Best Animated Feature

Biggest Surprise of the Year

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Worst Film of the Year

Best Cast

(Michael Keaton, Emma Stone, Edward Norton, Naomi Watts, Zack Galifianakis, Amy Ryan)

(Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke, Ellar Coltrane, Lorelei Linklater)

(Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, Patrick Fugit, Tyler Perry, Kim Dickens)

(Chris Paratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Vin Diesel, Dave Bautista, Benicio Del Toro, Glenn Close, John C Reilly, Djimon Hounsou, Karen Gillan, Michael Rooker)

(Ralph Fiennes, Edward Norton, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amalric, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Bill Murray, Jude Law, Saoirse Ronan, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, Owen Wilson, Tony Revolori)

Best Breakout Performance

Miles Teller - Whiplash

Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl

Chris Pratt - Guardians of the Galaxy

Sarah Snook - Predestination

Tony Revolori - The Grand Budapest Hotel

To Be Continued...

Suspect's Reviews

Best Poster

Worst Poster

Best Trailer

American Sniper

Birdman

Inherent Vice

Interstellar

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Most Overrated Film of the Year

Best VFX

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Interstellar

Most Memorable Scene

The Raid 2 - Final Fight

Dinner Date - Nightcrawler

Musical Final - Whiplash

Quicksilver Prison Break - X-Men: Days of Future Past

Messages From Family - Interstellar

Best Score
These are samples from the OST

Birdman

Gone Girl

Interstellar

The Guest

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Screenplay

Best Supporting Actress

Patricia Arquette - Boyhood

Rene Russo - Nightcrawler

Tilda Swinton - Snowpiercer

Emma Stone - Birdman

Emma Watson - Noah

Best Supporting Actor

J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher

Edward Norton - Birdman

Ethan Hawke - Boyhood

Tony Revolori - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Actress

Sarah Snook - Predestination

Scarlett Johansson - Under the Skin

Julianne Moore - Still Alice

Marion Cotillard - Two Days, One Night

Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl

Best Actor

Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything

Michael Keaton - Birdman

Brendan Gleeson - Calvary

Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler

Ralph Fiennes - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Director

Alejandro Gonzá Iñárritu - Birdman

Dan Gilroy - Nightcrawler

Richard Linklater - Boyhood

Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Damien Chazelle - Whiplash

Best Picture of the Year

Birdman

Boyhood

Whiplash

Nightcrawler

Guardians of the Galaxy

There you have it folks, this years nominees!!!!

Birdman takes home the most nominations with a whopping 11, including most of the major ones: Best Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting, but also a not so good one Most Overrated.

The Grand Budapest Hotel came in second with 8 nominations, but a surprise omission from Best Picture, despite getting actor, supporting actor, screenplay, direction and score.

Guardians of the Galaxy most likely nabbed that spot, but has a healthy number of nominations itself with 6, including Best cast, best VFX and biggest surprise of the year.

But maybe the biggest surprise is the inclusion of some actors is top categories. Sarah Snook from Predestination nabbed two nominations, Best Actress and Breakout Performance of the Year. While Brendan Gleeson nabbed a spot in the Best Actor category.

Mofo favourite, Nightcrawler did well, with 7 nominations, right behind GBH. It also nabbed the big categories, including: Actor, Director, Screenplay and Best Picture.

Boyhood, much like the Oscars, came up a bit short, only getting 5 nominations. Could this be a repeat of the Oscars and have the film walk away with just one award?

Interstellar did what many expected, nabbed some technical awards, but nothing in the bigger categories. It got 6 nominations.

People seemed to have been excited for American Sniper, it got a nom for Best Trailer...but then it came out and people weren't too pleased. It got Biggest Disappointment and Worst Film of the Year nominations as well.

Some surprise one nomination titles showing up?

The Raid 2 for most memorable scene.
Tilda Swinton representing Snowpiercer in the Best Supporting category.
Transcendence and Amazing Spiderman 2 managed to disappoint a lot of people, both ended up with one nomination in the not so nice category.
And for some reason people think The Fault in our Stars is hailed critically enough to be considered overrated.

Discuss!!! What do we expect to win? What do we hope wins? What are we surprised by and what are we excited got in?

Welcome to the human race...
Considering how much overlap there was between my list of nominees and the final list, I'm wondering if I'm the only other person who sent in a list.

Glad to see Enemy and Under the Skin up there. My two faves of the year (though I still can't decide if they're 2013 or 2014).

Glad to see Enemy and Under the Skin up there. My two faves of the year (though I still can't decide if they're 2013 or 2014).
They showed up at some film festivals in 2013, like TIFF, but I believe had proper theatrical releases in 2014.

I love seeing underdog nominations like those two and Calvary make it in. Birdman seems to be loved by everyone.

At the very least, we righted the Academy's wrong re: Nightcrawler.

The Raid 2 - Final Scene !!!!!!

AWESOME NOMINATION

That whole film is off the walls crazy.

Interesting to see The Imitation Game get shut out completely. The lack of Theory of Everything proves to me that it's only the performance that is noteworthy.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
How is JK Simmons a supporting actor? And I've missed some of the nominations.

How is JK Simmons a supporting actor? And I've missed some of the nominations.
It's Miles Teller's story.

That's okay, just make sure to vote for them when you make your choices.

I was going to nominate Enemy for other stuff, but IMDB says it's a 2013 film.

However, it was released everywhere in 2014.

I was going to nominate Enemy for other stuff, but IMDB says it's a 2013 film.

However, it was released everywhere in 2014.
IMDb will display the year that it first showed (Film festivals). Instead of the year it was released to the general public.

Any chance you could make a post with all the nominations listed as a ballot, so all anybody has to do is highlight their choice?

Any chance you could make a post with all the nominations listed as a ballot, so all anybody has to do is highlight their choice?
I second that^^

Anyways, nice to see many of my choices in here, even the obscure ones like Sarah Snook in Predestination!