The saddest movie characters

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Has anyone mentioned Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas?

Has anyone mentioned Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas?
not sure. Doesn't matter anyway. Perhaps he deserves to be mentioned twice

Call me crazy but Miles from the movies Sideways always gets to me...so relatable!

I don't actually wear pants.
elephant Man is definitely film I don't want to see again. It was so difficult to watch
I'm undecided if I want to watch Elephant Man again. It's an amazing film, but it is, as you typed, difficult to watch. I love the film, but it's not one to watch often.

This movie came out a few months after my wife and I finally welcomed young ThomasLuxuryYacht (picture in the avatar, from younger and cuter days) to the world. She had miscarried very early in our first attempt, a little over a year prior. To describe her emotional state subsequent to that event as "fragile" would greatly understate the magnitude of it. This scene would have obliterated her if the movie had been released about a year earlier, and I would likely have had to pull my wife back from the abyss. (Followed, of course, by my firebombing of the Pixar offices.) As it stands, we just sobbed to an embarrassing degree. I really hate Pixar.

OK, who am I kidding? I love Pixar like pretty much everyone else. And, god help me, we look more like Carl and Ellie every day.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I havent seen that but yeah, I totally understand your wife and your reaction.

Well, John Merrick from Elephant Man found himself in a depressing situation. He tried to have a good attitude, but he had it rough. I'm sad just thinking about it!
There are a lot of great replies here, but John Merrick was the first character that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread.

I'm undecided if I want to watch Elephant Man again. It's an amazing film, but it is, as you typed, difficult to watch. I love the film, but it's not one to watch often.
Yeah, I think the same. Anthony Hopkins is particularly emotionally strong in that film. I was very sad to see John Hurt go, so it would be a tough watch all round .

I was watching The Remains of the Day, which I don't think I'd ever seen properly – what got me interested was that I saw a bit of it one day and hadn't absorbed the Nazi element. Thinking about it it's difficult to say who's the sadder character, Stevens or Lord Darlington. Emma Thompson makes mention of James Fox's performance on the commentary and the feeling of Darlington rotting from the inside.

Darlington, and his friendship with a German, also reminded me of the Secret Army character Major Brandt, who similarly recalls his prior friendship with an Englishman, but must conceal it. Michael Culver was really good in that series, and Brandt has a comparable downward spiral.