MoFo Fantasy Football 2009: Week 8

Tools    

Yoda Im sure this is making you more sick of Favre than you already were, and my hope of changing your tune on him has failed catostrophically.

Guys this debate is going on forever, and I think this really is a argument over a glass being half empty or full. An icon and legend wasnt what everyone thought, and be it a Packer fan or just a football fan people are critical. Yes Yoda I still think Favres a great human being besides a good football player. I actually think his character outweighes his career even. His indecisiveness wasnt a great show of strength or professionalism, but hey I like my heros flawed. At least hes not beating his wife, partying in strip clubs, hanging out with a criminal element, on tv advertisements left n right (though he could be), and crying like T.O. about management or talent to the media.

PWs comment of questioning my mettle as a fan kinda irked me. Ysee PW when I was a kid I was a huge Pete Rose fan. I even did a standup book report on Rose, while pretending to be him, in front of my class in high school. When Petes gambling came out talk about the ***** hitting the fan on that image. I dont respect him as a man, but I gotta respect Charlie Hustle. The Ty Cobb of our time. Maybe my respect for Rose is how I could endure being a Raider fan later on. After all if any football owner could have ever been in the mob it would be Al Davis.

Brett Favre is a better man than a Rose or Davis, and yet people jeered him with more fervency than those 2 ever will. People openly jeer that hes overrated, and a fake. No he doesnt deserve it, but he was keeping a smile off his face sunday because he knows he doesnt deserve it. A Terrell Owens might deserve it especially in Philly, but people dont judge the T.O.'s too critically like they do Brett.

Tom Jackson on ESPN was one of those critical of Favre, but when Minnesota beat St Louis with that last throw out of a b-rated movie Jackson commented he understood why he did what he did signing with Minny. The love of the game, and even his detractors should know he has it. It was the kid in him as Jackson put it. Having said that back when Tom Jackson was a player for the Broncos departing he also said no to the Raiders, and said no amount of money would have been enough. So its really just a persons individual interpretation of the same event. Either hes forgiven or not.

Am I alone in thinking that Sleezy really needs to join our league next year?

What do you have against him? You just think he's a pain because you're tired of hearing on the radio about whether or not he's retiring this week? I really want to know.
To be honest, I'm to the point where I wish the guy would just go away, I'm tired of hearing about Brett Favre. I'm tired of saying Brett Favre. I'm tired of the soap opera. And I know, you'll try and convince me what a great teammate he is but I'm also tired of guys who think they're more important than their teams. The guy has become his own name brand, you'll never convince me that deep down he puts the team first.

You're not following. I said it's pointless and ridiculous to get bent out of shape over this stuff. If you'll kindly re-read my first posts, you'll see that they're calm, sensible, and dotted with smileys. Thanks for coming in and making it personal.
Not making it personal, you may be choosing to take it personal because apparently you just can't understand why these lame-o Packer fans can't just get over it or why others might defend them. Which was all I was really trying to do from the beginning. I do believe you were the first one to point out that I had no point by saying, "And this is some kind of rational argument you're making?" Maybe I'm a moron after all because I thought it was a perfectly valid point. I applaud you for living in a town where all of the fans are very cerebral and don't take the game so seriously. It's my experience that the majority of fans do however.

See, this is what pisses me off. Who are you to say that I'm gloating? You've got some nerve to take what I've posted thus far and suppose something like that. You might be used to having to defend yourself like this with your buddies, but I could care less about flaunting my team's record. All I wanted to do was argue a little bit about how goofy this whole Favre thing has gotten, and insert a glib remark or two with a *wink wink, nudge nudge* (you know, for the people who can laugh about it).
Fair enough, I admit that was a cheap shot. I'm sorry. It may interest you to know that I don't have to defend things to my friends or do much flaunting either. I am a sad sack Seahawk fan. Sure, we had some nice years this decade but sadly, those days are now behind us and once again we are now among the mediocre to terrible teams in the league. This is the only forum I post on so naturally this is where I talk football. And to be perfectly honest we here have been talking and sometimes lambasting Mr. Favre for quite some time, only now, he's on your team and now you've decided its time to stick up for the guy a little. I won't tell you you're out of your element Donnie, but you have jumped into the middle of a long running diatribe.

Right, so I'm just supposed to keep quiet while other members lambast Favre and the Vikings, so nobody gets "mad." Sure. I'll do that.
Of course not, and we welcome you to the discussion, again, I apologize if we got off on the wrong foot. However I can't remember when anyone was really lambasting the Vikings. I think the vast majority of the lambasting has been pointed in Favre's direction. It's a small point of interest but true nonetheless. And obviously I feel Favre deserves most of the attention he gets. In fact, I think he wants it. I truly believe that if he didn't crave all this attention then he would have retired and stayed retired. I mean really, the guy has had a nice career yeah? What more does he need to prove? He's won a Superbowl he's broken all kinds of records he's done lots of great things. I don't think anyone is disputing that. But, what irks some of us is the way he's ending up his time in the league. Who are we to judge? We are the ones who pay the ticket prices we are the ones who watch and listen to the media diatribe day after day. Who better to judge than us?

No more than Packer fans mind kicking a little dirt in our faces (like our good friend WBadger was doing before I got here).
How was Badger kicking dirt in your face exactly? I've seen him make some comments about Favre and his unwillingness to be happy for him now that he is doing so well on Badgers division rival and longtime foe. But how was he attacking you exactly? I'm pretty sure his comment about you being a "terrible person" was directed at Tongo.

All this being said Sleezy, I sure hope you give some thought to joining our fantasy league next year. You gotta admit, whether you think I'm a complete ass or not this is still fun yeah? God I love football.

I second the vote to let Sleazy in next year. Btw Sleazy Im also pretty sure Badger was directing his "awful human being" line towards me as he has before when I goosh about Favre.

It was directed at both of you but I don't really think you should go about to say I was "kicking dirt in your face". To be honest, I laughed when I read that.

I am in strong disagreement, is all. And, it's enlightening to see a Viking fan defend Brett Favre.

In the Beginning...
Guys this debate is going on forever, and I think this really is a argument over a glass being half empty or full. An icon and legend wasnt what everyone thought, and be it a Packer fan or just a football fan people are critical.
Yeah, it really can go on forever, and I don't want anyone to assume that my support of Minnesota is driving my defense of Favre. I'm not here to defend him as a beacon of goodwill and courtesy, but I don't think he's a vindictive prick either. I just think he's been overly criticized as a diva and traitor, when to me it just looks like he's struggling with his fading career, a team that wants to move on, and a still-burning personal desire to play.

Originally Posted by Powdered Water
To be honest, I'm to the point where I wish the guy would just go away, I'm tired of hearing about Brett Favre. I'm tired of saying Brett Favre. I'm tired of the soap opera.
And I think this might be part of the reason why people are so annoyed with him - they just flat-out don't like hearing about it. And I guess I have a thicker skin in that respect. I remember thinking that it was an unfortunate situation, given Favre's legacy in Green Bay, and I hoped it would get resolved. As much as I've hated to see Favre burn the Vikings in the past, I've still always respected him as a great quarterback.

And I know, you'll try and convince me what a great teammate he is but I'm also tired of guys who think they're more important than their teams. The guy has become his own name brand, you'll never convince me that deep down he puts the team first.
I won't try to convince you, but I remember Favre never being afraid to throw blocks or check on injured teammates. Again, I just feel like saying he was only interested in himself - based entirely on this retirement fiasco - is unfair. In a league populated by self-absorbed players like Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens, I can't see how Favre has acted any differently throughout his career than the players who have never been accused of self-absorbed behavior.

I do believe you were the first one to point out that I had no point by saying, "And this is some kind of rational argument you're making?"
In your first post, you claimed I was trying to find reason in an unreasonable football world. I beg to differ on the football world being unreasonable, but that's neither here nor there. I asked that question because I thought it ironic that you would preface an argument you were about to make by saying that this entire phenomen is irrational to begin with.

I applaud you for living in a town where all of the fans are very cerebral and don't take the game so seriously. It's my experience that the majority of fans do however.
It's curious that you mention my hometown. I live in Louisville, Kentucky, and college football and basketball are HUGE down here. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville share one of the most heated rivalries in college sports. So you can imagine what it's like here.

And yet, I've never - not once - seen anyone get bent out of shape over it (not whilst sober, anyway - are you guys drinking?). It's a heated rivalry to be sure, but at the end of the day, nobody comes to blows. It's just not worth the trouble. Perhaps it's because we're all citizens of the same city, but I doubt it. I'm a pretty nice guy, and I don't go out of my way to show more courtesy to Louisvillians than I do to people from any other place in the world.

And to be perfectly honest we here have been talking and sometimes lambasting Mr. Favre for quite some time, only now, he's on your team and now you've decided its time to stick up for the guy a little. I won't tell you you're out of your element Donnie, but you have jumped into the middle of a long running diatribe.
Honestly, I had never really taken an interest in talking football on Mofo until, just recently, I found myself bored at work, noticed the fantasy league down here, and decided to see how everyone was doing. Finding the discussion on Favre was coincidental, although I've obviously had my own feelings on the issue for some time. As far as the diatribe being long-running, I'm not sure that makes it any more valid. But I'm sorry if I've interrupted your agree-fest.

However I can't remember when anyone was really lambasting the Vikings. I think the vast majority of the lambasting has been pointed in Favre's direction. It's a small point of interest but true nonetheless.
Yeah, but when it comes to Packer fans, the two go hand-in-hand. WBadger was fuming over Favre's defection to the Vikings, and while I can understand frustration at seeing your star player go to the enemy, I can't see how that defection erases years of respect for the man who carried the team through so much success. And that seems to be what's happening on a far larger scale than I would have expected from Packer fans. If it were the other way around, I'd be upset too. But I'd also respect his desire to keep playing even if his time as a player for my team had passed. And I'd acknowledge his right as a grown man to play wherever he wanted.

I truly believe that if he didn't crave all this attention then he would have retired and stayed retired. I mean really, the guy has had a nice career yeah? What more does he need to prove?
See, I don't think retiring and unretiring is the same as craving attention. He's Brett Favre. He's going to get attention anyway. All we can really say is that he's guilty of indecision, and for that he's been labeled a primadonna and attention whore. I wonder, if Michael Jordan (among others) hadn't made this routine so tiresome already, would we really be caring so much right now?

Also, I'm inclined to believe Favre cares more about playing football (and not sitting at home, retired) than actually proving anything, simply because he really doesn't have anything left to prove. Maybe he wanted to prove to Ted Thompson that he could still play, but if they really were going to bench him, I can understand that. And come on, who are we to really say how many winning seasons are enough? How many Super Bowls? If the guy wants to continue to have a successful career, and can, who are we to say he should hang it up?

We are the ones who pay the ticket prices we are the ones who watch and listen to the media diatribe day after day. Who better to judge than us?
The fans aren't on the inside, and many are blinded by their perceptions and team allegiance, or their annoyance at hearing the name Brett Favre every day. I'd say those are stupendous reasons not to judge this man or his actions. Be angry about it, sure. But don't draw unreasonable conclusions just because you're pissed.

How was Badger kicking dirt in your face exactly? I've seen him make some comments about Favre and his unwillingness to be happy for him now that he is doing so well on Badgers division rival and longtime foe. But how was he attacking you exactly? I'm pretty sure his comment about you being a "terrible person" was directed at Tongo.
As you can see, he admitted it. Granted, I was being cheeky about Favre throwing four TDs on Green Bay last week, but that was before everyone got so serious. Like I said, I like giving a Packer fan a friendly elbow every once in a while, and welcome the same treatment from them. A "kicking of dirt," if you will. But when it gets personal, that's when I find this whole rivalry childish and unnecessary.

Originally Posted by WBadger
It was directed at both of you but I don't really think you should go about to say I was "kicking dirt in your face".
Yeah, because calling me an "awful human being" is just a little jab between friends. Honestly, this illustrates perfectly how unreasonable people get over this stuff. Who are you to say this to me, just because I don't think Brett Favre is the big, bad villain Green Bay fans want to believe he is? Disagree with me, jab me about how many Super Bowls Green Bay has won, whatever. But don't you dare tell me I'm an awful human being. That's just utterly low and uncalled for.

Originally Posted by WBadger
And, it's enlightening to see a Viking fan defend Brett Favre.
As if I'd somehow be betraying my allegiance to Minnesota if Favre still played for Green Bay. Yeah, that's not childish.

All this being said Sleezy, I sure hope you give some thought to joining our fantasy league next year. You gotta admit, whether you think I'm a complete ass or not this is still fun yeah? God I love football.

I second the vote to let Sleazy in next year.
Eh, we'll see. I've done them before and I think they're pretty fun, but my interest in following a bunch of stats and prospect reports only goes so far. If it's a little more casual than some others I've done, I might join in.

Yeah, because calling me an "awful human being" is just a little jab between friends. Honestly, this illustrates perfectly how unreasonable people get over this stuff. Who are you to say this to me, just because I don't think Brett Favre is the big, bad villain Green Bay fans want to believe he is? Disagree with me, jab me about how many Super Bowls Green Bay has won, whatever. But don't you dare tell me I'm an awful human being. That's just utterly low and uncalled for.
Ah, come on. I wasn't trying to make a personal attack on your character or you personally, but you know as sports fans.

Sorry if I offended you, I didn't really expect you to take it that way.

In the Beginning...
No worries. I wasn't even going to press it beforehand. I just think there's a definite line between fan ribbing and personal attack. Obviously, there's no way of knowing who's going to take even the smallest jab personally, but calling someone an awful human being in person might have gotten you punched.

Anyway, I don't want to whinge over this any longer. As you were.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Hey I love Favre.....dont be haters ! LOL Oh have I told you all how much I hate fantasy football? LOL (kidding)

On a side note Ive two more Fantasy Football Yahoo teams. In one league Im very strong, but in the other one not so strong. In the "not so strong" league (Yahoo Public 913799) Ive just traded all my key players away to fill my roster with nothing but Buccaneers! LOL! Im talking some stupid trade offers like Vernon Davis & Ricky Williams for Caddy and Winslow. Another one was Steven Jackson for Derrick Ward. There was one guy I offered Sims-Walker for Antonio Bryant...the guys said no! He said "Not good enough!" and asked for Vernon Davis instead! I already had Davis going to the guy that had Winslow, but just the audacity! I had to respect that, offered Larry Fitzgerald, and he snatched him up. Also liked dropping Rothlessberger to waivers to get Josh Freeman. Im sure the league now will interest me more than it ever had.

Well, I'm sorry to bring this topic up again, but I just have to post this from The Onion, that is hilarious:

Brett Favre Avenges Storied 16-Year Career With Packers

GREEN BAY, WI—Brett Favre beat the Green Bay Packers on Sunday for the second time this season, his decisive 38-26 victory exacting some small measure of revenge for the adulation and hero worship heaped upon him by the city of Green Bay and the entire state of Wisconsin for the better part of two decades. "It feels good to finally get retribution from the team that gave me my first chance to start, believed in me despite the pitfalls of my early career, and ensured I will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer," Favre said at a postgame press conference. "And to do it in front of those fans, who unconditionally loved me through thick and thin while I struggled with a Vicodin addiction and disastrous interceptions, just made it that much sweeter. Sixteen long years of devotion, and they're finally getting what they deserve." Favre mentioned that when he does retire, he is looking forward to "really sticking it" to the wife and daughters whose loving presence has been the one constant during his playing career.

I just spent a foolish amount of time thinking this was for this year and wondered why P.W. was on crack.

...In a league populated by self-absorbed players like Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens...
fast forward a year and they are on the same team