MoFo Fantasy Football 2009: Week 8

Tools    

Well, obviously the Thomas/McCoy decision is predicated on the idea that Westbrook will be out. If he's not it's a no-brainer, but I'll be stunned if he plays. Last time he started he put up 16 I think. And actually, the closer I look the more I realize that the Giants aren't that great against the run (right around the middle of the pack). Very tough call.

Courtney, for the record, prefers Pierre Thomas, which might be enough to tilt the scales in his favor.

A system of cells interlinked
Looking at the line-ups, I am a bit nervous about my match-up vs LT. I look like the shoe-in on paper, but my people are playing some of the best defenses in the game, while she gets games against The Rams, Detroit, and The Browns...

*Gulp*

And... C Johnson is a game time decision. Normally, I would just play my healthy guy (Driver) and be done with it, but Megatron is a must-start vs The Rams 25th ranked pass defense if he plays. Driver has a much harder match-up vs MIN.

“Trick or Treat, smell my feet, gimme somethin' good to eat”. Thats how I feel going into Week 8, needing “something good to eat” so to speak. With only six teams making it to the post season and stuck in 7th, Beantown ain't feeling to “Champy” right now, and with the competition heating up, its looking like a major uphill climb just to move-up one spot. It will be interesting watching the top 4 spots beat on each other (especially the Replicant/Wolverine match-up, where it may actually get physical if LTIZZY doesn't like the outcome... ) and it's too bad they couldn't all lose, for my sake that is, but there has to be a winner and a loser in every match-up and speaking of which, here are my picks for winners and losers in Week 8:

Wolverines vs. The Replicants -
Here we have another match-up of teams where the outcome can literally determined who sleeps the deep sleep of contentment and who sleeps on the futon with Morty the Cat beating on their squash all night. I started writing this match-up and I couldn't stop laughing, picturing how the day was gonna start off and envisioning how the day would end. Heres a little insight to what I believe will happen starting at 1:00...With the Wolverines starting all but one position at 1pm, her team will start racking up serious points, all the while busting Seds b*lls on how she is winning and he is losing and thats the way it should be. Then after the first round of games plays out, the Replicants team begins their games and then...*BAAAMMM!*... the Bots begin accumulating points. And gaining on the Wolverines. Then LTIZZY starts seeing the gap close in the score and she then realizes this isn't gonna go her way. By 8pm, Seds has a rather large goose egg sized lump on the side of his dome and is looking for a ice pack and is trying not to laugh or smile for the rest of the evening. I hope its worth it Mikey...

The Replicants win....painfully. Oh so painfully

The Tateraters vs. I-L-M-F -
Assuming Spud fills those vacant spots, he is still a major underdog going up against the Fox this week and, like me, needs alot of serious over-achievement from his players to make this one even close. Warner may rack up points against the Panthers pathetic Defense, but his other match-ups look tough and probably won't make much difference in the end. Romo should provide ample numbers for the Fox, and all 3 of his RBs should make enough points together to push the final outcome of the game in his favor.

“I'll take the baked potato with sour cream, chives and put some bacon on that too”. Fox dines well in Week 8

Gadsden Flag vs. Flash -
While eating very delicious hamburgers and fries and downing a refreshing beverage, the Flag and I discussed this match-up at length, and we both determined that this is gonna be a lot closer than the Yahoo projected score suggests. This game has a lot of “Well if this happens...” potential and with Peyton Manning helming the ship for Flash, it could easily go in his favor. Dallas Clark should hook-up for a few TDs and some decent yardage, and I'm sure Garcon will get some looks too. Crayton and Moore may bear fruit, and if Jones somehow breaks free on the Dallas D, Flash could surely pull off the upset. Gadsden has several tough defensive matchups that could put a damper on his going 5-3, with Flacco facing a stingy Denver backfield and Peterson staring down a pumped-up Green Bay front line that wants nothing more than to crush the Purple People Eaters in the frigid confines of LAMBEAU FIELD. Barber needs to solidify his roll as the #1 tailback in Dallas, which means he needs a break-out day against Seattle and that equals a big smiley face for the Flag. As long as his receivers don't brain fart on him, Gadsden should weather the storm just fine.

Gadsden Flag plays the role of Ming the Merciless and slaps Flash around like Tom Cable on an assistant coach.

Hired Goons vs. PW's Odd Squad -
Oh man, no Tom Brady, no Wes Welker? What is PW to do? Thankfully, for PW that is, week 8 finds the Goons facing some tough defensive fronts at his major positions. Aaron Rodgers wants nothing more than to win this game, this is his Superbowl (cuz thats as close as Green Bays gonna get to one this year) and he needs to show the Packers they made the right choice in keeping him over Favre. I expect the Pack to throw everything and the kitchen sink at the Vikes, since the Packers running game probably won't be that successful against the Purple Wall of Doom. Rodgers and Jennings should make a dent in the scoreboard and I think Lynch, Davis and Royal will contribute, with McGahee throwing in a few points for good measure, but the Odd Squad looks posed for a 4-4 record with a rather well-rounded lineup. The only thing that could derail the PW train is the Seattle offensive line letting the Dallas D stomp on Hasselbeck and taking him out of the game early. That O-line does suck.....

PW gets to .500 and closer to the playoffs

Da Bears vs. TONGO -
Well I didn't think the projected score difference would be that large, even with Rivers facing Oakland, but I just found out Favre has been sick for 2 weeks with the flu and isn't “100%” according to John Clayton of ESPN News, so that may very well affect the outcome of this match-up. Other than LenDale “I'm not useless, I swear” White, Da Bears look pretty good at most of their positional match-ups this week and barring a freak outcome of the Vikings/Packers game, should win as predicted by Yahoo. Tongo may be the underdog this week, but I firmly believe his team has a very good chance at an upset with most of his match-ups having “break-out” potential, especially Mason at Denver and Johnny Knox at Cleveland, who both can create havoc for defensive backs and could just carry Tongo to a surprise victory.

Da Bears kick TONGO in the Bongos

11 Angry Men vs. Team Darcy -
So I'm watching an extended preview of “The Men Who Stare at Goats” and the whole time I'm thinking “If I stare at the Angry Men's avatar, will his team fall over?” Darcy lets try that. Ok, on three...1...2...3..Go! *Staring at avatar to the point of passing out*. Nope. That sumbitch just doesn't fall over. Personally, I need the Falcons to rock n' roll the Saints, so I hope Brees, Colston and Thomas don't do s**t, but since I just said that, of course they will all have HUGE numbers and on top of that, Dallas will probably crush Seatlle, with Witten and Austin getting all the TDs. Darcy I'm pulling for you and I hope you fed your squad all those Performance-Enhancing-Drugs I keep hearing about that are supposed to make you better (I keep drinking this Gatorade stuff and I can't seem to sweat that Orange, Green and Purple stuff like the dudes in those commercials), cuz thats my plan this week. If you can't beat'em, cheat I always say.

After blowing a hemorrhoid trying to get him to fall over, Angry Men still wins.

Beantown Champs vs. Slug's Sweeties -
Ok, Schaub will make Buffalo his b**ch and both Boldin and Breaston will go wild on Carolina, but isn't this the week Steven Jackson finally gets a touchdown and 200 + yards on Detroit? Shouldn't Kevin Boss pluck the Eagles for 9 catches and a score in Philly this afternoon? And don't I get any respect for Michael “ I swear I'm better than this” Jenkins facing the Saints? No? None? Well than screw you guys, I'm taking my damn ball and going home. At least I have Fantasy Hockey to make me happy...

Slug points and laughs, “You actually pee with that thing?”

So thats Week 8 in a nutshell kids, Good Luck and may the best teams win!!

Great writeup Beantowndriver.

Yeah I know Im nervous about playing Brett, but fug it Id just howl in pain if he ended up being the highest scoring QB on my roster and he was on the bench especially for this game oi! For the 4:00 GB Minn game Ill be going to a friends house and they will here "Favre to Harvin! Favre to Harvin! Favre to Harvin" over and over again like some rabid Nostradamus.

Glad Im still enjoying this at 1-6, and this has been a lesson in patience + false expectations. Loved the Tom Cable crack, but ESPN is doing a hard piece on him, interviewing ex wives of his and hes a wifebeater. Fire his ass!

Edit in - Westbrook and Mario Manningham are out

Looking at the line-ups, I am a bit nervous about my match-up vs LT. I look like the shoe-in on paper, but my people are playing some of the best defenses in the game, while she gets games against The Rams, Detroit, and The Browns...

*Gulp*

And... C Johnson is a game time decision. Normally, I would just play my healthy guy (Driver) and be done with it, but Megatron is a must-start vs The Rams 25th ranked pass defense if he plays. Driver has a much harder match-up vs MIN.
Looks like Johnson's out. At least the decision's easier.

Meanwhile, really, really split on Thomas and McCoy, since Westbrook is out. Argh...hard to tell how good the Giants actually are against the run, or how often Thomas will get the ball. This is a tough one.

ESPN just reported the Megatron is definitely out today.

Un-be-lievable the comments from Green Bay re: Viking Favre. I just dont get it. He gave them his best, and gave more than anyone ever gave Green Bay. He was wishy-washy, the organization made the right business decision, and hes successful now with Minnesota. $12 million dollars is not something you say no too if you still have love of the game, and Favre does. Just a shame the fans take this so personally.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Ok so let's all try to have a super day of football! I'm just going to say that it does not look to perdy here for my team....and I have neatly packed up some of Mikes belongings and put them by the door...also packed up Mortys belongings as well!!! I have some emergency beer in the fridge....well with that said lets get ready for some football!

Favre was more than just wishy-washy; he pretty much screwed them. Though this is based on rumors, apparently he really didn't take Rodgers under his wing or anything (I think his quote on the matter was something like "I'm not a coach"). He pretty clearly resented their very understandable desire to have a young guy ready when he finally retired.

Then, when he finally does, they give the reigns to Rodgers, and Favre puts them in a completely impossible situation by coming back and demanding the starter's job. At this point Rodgers has waited behind him patiently, the team has invested in him, and they've already promised him the job. It was really poor form and left the Packers with some very lame options.

I don't begrudge him the money or the desire to keep playing, but the way he did it really screwed with Green Bay, so I don't blame any Packers fans for being upset with him.

Ever notice how Brett Favre has become almost a trademark unto himself? Try to say his name. I bet you can't say it without saying his whole name... It's bizarre. All the announcers do it most of the ESPN guys do it too. It's just weird. Brett Favre this and Brett Favre that. Some will call him Favre and once in a great while you will hear someone call him Brett.

Anyway... I notice stuff like that. What's my point? You figure it out.

It's some weird emphasis thing, like he's a living legend. It's kind of like the way they say "National Football League" when they want to emphasize how competitive it is. IE: "You need to make catches like that if you want to play in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE." I guess this is intended to stress its importance in a way that "NFL" can't.

It's some weird emphasis thing, like he's a living legend. It's kind of like the way they say "National Football League" when they want to emphasize how competitive it is. IE: "You need to make catches like that if you want to play in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE." I guess this is intended to stress its importance in a way that "NFL" can't.
LOL! Jim Rome was talking about that this week. Hilarious observation as nobody says National Basketball Association, National Hockey League, but NFL is always said in full.

Ever notice how Brett Favre has become almost a trademark unto himself? Try to say his name. I bet you can't say it without saying his whole name... It's bizarre. All the announcers do it most of the ESPN guys do it too. It's just weird. Brett Favre this and Brett Favre that. Some will call him Favre and once in a great while you will hear someone call him Brett.

Anyway... I notice stuff like that. What's my point? You figure it out.
Ah! The mystique vs the reality of his ability. I hate to tell you all something, but Brett Favre (oh i just did it!) has always played ugly football. His game vs Pittsburgh last week wasnt the worst Ive ever seen him, and I mean going back 5-10 yrs even.

Is Brett better than any QB the Vikings have had the past 20 yrs? I think so because in comparison Daunte Culpepper didnt have that many years of good ball in him. My gut is telling me not to play him so Im gonna.

Think I'm going McCoy. Really torn here, as the Giants have actually given up more fantasy points per game than the Falcons, but the Eagles don't run the ball a lot. But with Thomas probably falling in the 12-15 carry range, McCoy's chances of getting at least 10 points -- and of going off for 25 or something -- are probably better. Crazy tough call, but McCoy it is.

Re: Culpepper. Whether or not he had lots of great years in him is beside the point, isn't it? Favre (I did it!) isn't going to play for them for many years, either, because he's 40. They're not getting the 1998 Favre, so the comparison should be the actual production they'll get, and Culpepper gave them a few really great years. Favre is probably just going to give them a couple of decent ones.

I will sacrifice a Fantasy Football loss just to see the Packers win today.

Alright, so the first time I don't start Terrell Owens, he scores a touchdown.