MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies - 2019

→ in
Tools    

Pulp Fiction - 1994

"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions."
My relationship with Tarantino is a weird one, as I explained on my Django entry I believe. When I was younger I saw Pulp Fiction and it just did not resonate with me like it does now. Plus I was a bit of a b*tch when it came to bloody, gory stuff in movies when I was younger. So this movie maybe should be a little higher but it has been playing catch up since my prejudice of my youth. There is no denying how good this flick is and how important a movie it was and is in terms of Hollywood.

This movie put Tarantino on the map. Well Reservior Dogs put him on the map and this stamped him as one of the main directors in Hollywood with an original voice and vision. You know you are watching a Tarantino film, his voice is distinct. His ability to write dialogue is 2nd to about nobody. I am sure everyone here has seen it, but it is just chalk full of memorable scene after memorable scene. Not to mention the impact on the indie scene, the rise of Harvey Weinstein and the importance of this movie in many of the actor's careers that were in it.

Samuel L Jackson takes the cake in the film. He is scene stealing and completely owns his character. In fact some of Jules has bleed into his personality I believe. Might not be no Samuel L without this role, it made him into a superstar. Then there was John Travolta who is nearly as good and has amazing chemistry with Jackson. He has a ton of memorable scenes as well and this flick resurrected his career as well as Bruce Willis's career. Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Ving Rhames, Christopher Walken etc, etc. This movie has left a lasting impact on Hollywood no doubt.

It is just a really fun movie to unpack. It is entertainment at it's peak really. It really is one of those movies if you call yourself anything remotely near a film buff you need to watch. Also 1994 was a good year for film

Director - Quentin Tarantino
Best Performance - Samuel L Jackson as Jules
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 92%
Factoid - The movie cost only $8 million to make. The initial budget was reportedly even lower until Bruce Willis was added to the cast (he had a recent string of domestic flops but was still a box-office draw overseas). $5 million went to pay the actors' and actresses' salaries. The film was already profitable when its worldwide rights were sold for $11 million (again, mainly on the strength of Willis' presence). It went on to gross over $200 million at the box office.
Stock In Countdown - Neutral

Memorable Scene

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

This is my all time favorite. I think it should be higher even, but cool that it’s on your list.

This is my all time favorite. I think it should be higher even, but cool that it’s on your list.
I wasn't a Tarantino fan growing up but I am now. So I didn't grow up watching that flick constantly like others. It could probably be a few spots higher but I think around 40ish is a good spot for it for me. No doubt it's a classic.

I wasn't a Tarantino fan growing up but I am now. So I didn't grow up watching that flick constantly like others. It could probably be a few spots higher but I think around 40ish is a good spot for it for me. No doubt it's a classic.
Same here, I actually only watched it first a few years back, and loved it.

Elf - 2003

"The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."
This flick is just a ton of fun, especially around Christmas time. There is just something about a good Christmas movie, it has like an extra layer to it, I don't know. I have a couple Christmas movies on the countdown, wonder why Christmas movies are so popular? Maybe it's because experiencing Xmas is pretty universal? I can't help but to feel good after watching this movie. The movie just has an optimistic feel to it. Will Ferrell's Buddy is just relentlessly optimistic in the movie . This character is just right up Ferrell's alley for some reason. James Caan is also well cast as his dad. Zooey Deschanel is also solid as the love interest.

Ha it's late and I don't know what else to say about this flick. Just a fun Xmas flick I would never turn down watching around Christmas time.

Director - Jon Favreau
Best Performance - Will Ferrell as Buddy
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 83%
Factoid - Will Ferrell turned down twenty-nine million dollars to be in Elf 2 in late 2013.
Stock In Countdown - Sinker

Memorable Scene

Inception - 2010

"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious."
Another Nolan movie in my countdown, I believe my 4th one. I think this is the movie that sealed the deal for me being a Nolan mark. Nolan is still pumping out quality work but The Dark Knight going into Inception will probably be the high point of his his career. After watching Inception it was apparent that this is just a different level of talent. He is just playing a different game then most directors. It's even more impressive because he wrote the screenplay.

DiCaprio knows what he is doing. Once Nolan came a calling he answered. Working with Nolan has to be an automatic yes for any actor. DiCaprio does fine work in the film. It also has my boy JGL and sort of the beginning of Tom Hardy in mainstream Hollywood. Ellen Page is also fine in the flick, even if she has become unbearable since. This movie however, doesn't really flex an actor's performance. It's more of a movie about spectacle and an idea and man does it deliver on spectacle.

What I appreciate about Nolan is he doesn't talk down to the audience he creates an entertaining complex movie and trust the audience to follow along. But his spectacle is really second to none. The reason is because he avoids CGI as much as possible in favor of practical sets. I absolutely believe your eyes can tell the difference. The spinning hotel scene with JGL is as memorable a scene as I remember watching in a movie and it's because they actually built a practical spinning hotel hallway.

This is one of the coolest, most original movies done in Hollywood in a long time. It's rare to see a studio fork out this much money now for an original idea like this. I am glad they did. Would be higher but it does sort of take effort to watch the flick, if it was a little bit more easily digestible it would be higher, still a phenomenal flick.

Director - Christopher Nolan
Best Performance - Joseph-Gordon Levitt as Arthur (He gets the nod for actually doing the hotel scene)
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 87%
Factoid - It took nearly eight years for Christopher Nolan to write the screenplay for this movie.

Memorable Scene

List Review

101. Super Troopers
100. Arrival
99. Social Network
98. Bowfinger
97. Blade Runner
96. Napoleon Dynamite
95. Full Metal Jacket
94. Looper
93. Animal House
92. Gladiator
91. Moneyball
90. Austin Powers
89. Spotlight
88. Inside Out
87. The Jerk
86. Titanic
85. Mystic River
84. Naked Gun Trilogy
83. Back To The Future
82. True Grit
81. Anchorman
80. Saving Private Ryan
79. Inside Man
78. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
77. Interstellar
76. Creed
75. The Big Lebowski
74. Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation
73. Superbad
72. Goodfellas
71. Gone Baby Gone
70. Jerry McGuire
69. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
68. Memento
67. Dumb and Dumber
66. Hoosiers
65. Rush Hour
64. The Departed
63. Office Space
62. Jumanji
61. Wind River
60. Guardians Of The Galaxy
59. Insomnia
58. Little Giants
57. Django Unchained
56. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
55. The Lion King
54. Up
53. Goon
52. Wonder Woman
51. Me, Myself and Irene
50. V for Vendetta
49. Wall-e
48. Liar Liar
47. Good Will Hunting
46. The Ninja Turtles 90s Trilogy
45. Cedar Rapids
44. 500 Days Of Summer
43. Ratatouille
42. Pulp Fiction
41. Elf
40. Inception

Countdown Stats

Most Frequent Actors - Matt Damon (5)
Most Frequent Director- Christopher Nolan (4)
Films By Decade
1970s - Two
1980s - Six
1990s - Seventeen
2000s - Nineteen
2010s - Eighteen

Honorable Mentions (Just Missed Countdown)

The Hangover - 2009

"To a night the four of us will never forget!"
Alright into the top 40, starting to get into movies I really adore. As you can tell I enjoy me a good comedy. There are some comedies that might be higher on my countdown, but I don't know if I have ever laughed harder at one the first time I saw it. I remember I was living in Gainesville in college and I went with my buddy to a matinee to see this flick. Or maybe I was just visiting Gainesville...but that's beside the point. We both laughed our asses off. There are so many genuine laughs in the film. Plus the mystery of where Doug is keeps you engaged in the story. Plus it was my college days, being that hangover was a familiar feeling for me

Phillips did in this movie with his three stars what Old School did for Wilson, Ferrell and Vaughn. Shot them up to superstardom. Hell even Cooper, Galifianakis and Helms careers sort of mirrors the other 3. Cooper and Ferrell became Hollywood mega stars. Galifianakis and Vaughn have both teetered right below mega stars and have had solid work since. Wilson and Helms have both had very solid careers but never quite a true leading man. Hell Rob Riggle and Ken Jeong blew up after this. Plus Heath Graham had a little mini comeback. Oh and that Tyson cameo I wonder if Phillips has another one of these comedies that launches some talent's careers after his Joker turn.

The flick might not be for everyone but it's right up my alley. The follow ups never quite hit the magic of the first one but it was pretty much impossible to reach the first one's mark. (Maybe they should have got Doug more involved in the follow ups ). The movie wears a little on repeat viewings once you know what happens but it still a great time. I'll never forgot how entertained I was one I first saw it however. Always stop when its on TV.

Director - Todd Phillips
Best Performance - Zach Galifianakis as Alan Gardner
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 78%
Factoid - Mike Tyson revealed that he appeared in the film to fund his drug habit, and that he was high on cocaine when he filmed his scenes. Tyson later said that working on the film convinced him to change his lifestyle.

Memorable Scene

L.A. Confidential - 1997

"Go back to Jersey, sonny. This is the City of the Angels, and you haven't got any wings."
To me this is the last really cool film noir that Hollywood has made. I'll be honest, I'll watch it tonight and forget everything that happens and I've seen it numerous times. There are so many stories and characters going on, a lot of misdirection. It keeps you guessing all the way to the end and it doesn't get stale on repeat viewings.

This movie boasts an incredible ensemble. Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, James Cromwell, Kim Basinger, Danny Devito, David Strathairn, Ron Rifkin. Spacey was already established in Hollywood but this movie sort of was the launching pad for Crowe and Pearce in Hollywood. I also love how Spacey, Crowe and Pearce were all very different cops. Spacey the sleazy cop who is growing a conscience, Crowe the muscle battling his temper and Pearce the straight-laced do it by the book cop who needs to get a little dirty. It's a fun watch to see all 3 of their personalities have to battle and work together. Fun dynamic. Not to mention Kim Basinger's turn as a whore who looks like a Hollywood starlet that won her an Oscar. This movie flexes great performances all around.

I always tend to forget about this movie for long stretches of time and then get excited when I sit down to watch it. It's just one of those movies that feels like you are discovering the plot all over again during a repeat viewing. I do love the flick but it can slip my mind which is why it probably isn't as high. I always enjoy it though.

Director - Curtis Hanson
Best Performance - Guy Pearce as Ed Exley
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 99%
Factoid - At the time the film takes place, no building in Los Angeles was allowed to be taller than City Hall, so the cameras were placed at certain points so that any building taller than City Hall would not be seen.

Memorable Scene

Wedding Crashers - 2005

"It's the first quarter of the big game and you wanna toss up a hail mary? I'd like to be pimps from Oakland or cowboys from Arizona but it's not Halloween. Grow up, Peter Pan! Count Chocula! Look, we've been to a million weddings and you know what? We've rocked them all."
Sorry folks. Back from Seattle. Man that is a long trip from Florida. Out there for a week. That's why I haven't been posting. Going to NY for Halloween. Hopefully I can get down to the top 10 by then. Anyways....

This movie came out my senior year in High School. I remember buddies telling me to go see it. I remember watching it and liking it but not thinking much of it but man I think it's aged well. I've grown more fond of it the older I have gotten. It has always made me laugh. Specially when I've gotten older and gone to weddings stag . The movie really excels from the chemistry Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn have together. I'd edge out Vaughn as the best performance, he was just born to play Jeremy barely feels like acting. Owen is great too however.

I think what helps it and separates it from other comedies is it has a decent story and a lot of heart towards the end. The wedding stuff everyone can relate to plus it's about friendship and taking a chance. Feels like it has at least something to say compared to most dumb comedies, plus it doesn't hurt it's extremely funny, with tons of memorable scenes.

The supporting cast also doesn't hurt, chalk full of stars. Rachel McAdams, Isla Fisher, Christopher Walken and a pre mega star Bradley Cooper. I think this is what sort of got the ball rolling on his career. But Will Ferrell's cameo at the end almost steals the whole movie in my opinion. It's some of his best work . Everything he says is memorable and funny. This is just a comedy classic to me.

Director - David Dobkin
Best Performance - Vince Vaughn as Jeremy Grey
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 75%
Factoid - The painting given to Jeremy (Vince Vaughn) by Todd (Keir O'Donnell) was kept by Vaughn after filming.

Memorable Scene

The Fugitive - 1993

"All right, listen up, ladies and gentlemen, our fugitive has been on the run for ninety minutes. Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injuries, is 4 miles per hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at fifteen miles. Your fugitive's name is Dr. Richard Kimble. Go get him."
This movie is insanely rewatchable to me. This is actually how I became familiar with Harrison Ford as I was growing up. Not Star Wars, Blade Runner or Indiana Jones. Those were just a little before my time. The Fugitive was on tv all the time in the mid 90s for me to digest. I always enjoy the hell out of it when it's on. Tommy Lee Jones is an animal in this flick. He absolutely owns his role as an FBI agent. It's hard to imagine anyone else in the role, doesn't even feel like acting. It was no wonder he won the Oscar for Supporting actor in 1994. Harrison was great in the role but Jones was next level.

On the surface it just seems like a generic action thriller movie. For some reason it was just executed better than most and stuck for some reason. The scene below when Ford jumps from the damn is an iconic scene. Tommy Lee saying "I don't care" in the tunnel with his hands up is memorable as well. The movie just holds your attention the entire time. It's also quite funny to watch Julianne Moore and Jane Lynch in small roles before they made it big All of Tommy Lee Jones team around him do a great job as well. It's just a well made thriller. So 90s.

Director - Andrew Davis
Best Performance - Tommy Lee Jones as Samuel Gerard
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 96%
Factoid - Harrison Ford damaged some ligaments in his leg during the filming of the scenes in the woods. He refused to take surgery until the end of filming so that his character would keep the limp. The limp can be seen in any subsequent scene where Richard Kimble is running.

Memorable Scene

The Avengers - 2012

"You're missing the point! There's no throne, there is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we'll avenge it!"
Ok damn it. I feel like a sell out for rating this so high. But I only have I believe 3 Marvel movies on this list I think. But god damn it is this movie pure fun popcorn fair at it's peak. I remember going into 2012 this and The Dark Knight Rises were coming out. As you can tell from the countdown I am a Nolan mark and I loved the first 2 Batman flicks. The first couple Marvel solo movies were fine but I thought the Avengers movie would be a gigantic mess with all these characters in it. Man was I totally wrong. TDKR was fine but is my least favorite Nolan flick and this movie was a ton of freaking fun. Probably, I'd say, the most important movie influence wise this century in Hollywood. It completely shifted to legitimizing superhero movies as big business, for better or worse. Now we get 15 or so of these a year.

I am no comic book geek but man the scene when they all assemble for the first time in New York is iconic and gets your nerdy juices going. Can't imagine being a hardcore comic book geek and seeing that for the first time on screen. Whedon, even though I can stand him now, really knew how to work these characters together very well. The strength is the myriad of main characters not the weakness. Really show cases each hero's personality well. Even though a lot of them have gotten on my nerves since Evans, Hemsworth, Ruffalo, Scarlet J, Renner, Samuel L are all cast pitch perfect, it's hard to imagine anyone else as those characters. Suppose that's the advantage of having years to grow into the role. But of course Downey Jr is the strength of the whole MCU. He was absolutely born to play Tony Stark, it's not acting at this point he is Stark. Be sinful if they cast anyone else.

I think as time goes on it will probably settle closer to the 50s on my countdown, but man this movie is absolute peak Marvel, right when they needed it to. They went from bankrupt to one of the most powerful studios there is now. No doubt it's importance in Hollywood.

Director - Joss Whedon
Best Performance - Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark/Iron Man
Factoid - The first Marvel Cinematic Universe film to earn $1 billion.

Memorable Scene

Life - 1999

"Motherf*cker, you can't have my cornbread. That's for damn sure. Cause if you try and take my cornbread, Part 2 of my killing spree is gon' begin up in here on your ass, right now. You thinking about my cornbread, better get the taste out your mouth. That's for damn sure."
To me this comedy is criminally underrated. This and Bowfinger (released the same year) were Eddie Murphy's last great comedic performances he has put in. Him and Martin Lawrence work great together in the film. The supporting cast were amazing too. Anthony Anderson's first film credit, Bernie Mac (rip), Miguel Nunez and lots more. Hell even a R. Lee Ermey cameo.

It's just chalk full of memorable scenes and quotes to me. Can't Get Right. I da pappy. White's only pies. Gun line. New York City boss. Anyone else want something read? I could go on and on. But the most memorable scene is the one down below. "You gonna eat yo corn beard?" Everything about the scene is just a masterclass in comedy. This is Murphy, Lawrence and the rest of the cast working seamlessly. It never gets old to watch. I honestly have no clue how they got through filming this film without dying of laughter. Just looked like fun and you can tell from the finished product they had a blast.

I think what makes it work even better besides the comedic talent on set is the story is sort of sweet. It's about to strangers who are forced to live their lives together and actually without knowing forge a strong friendship. The end of the movie always makes me smile and is super satisfying. I think one of the reasons I love the movie so much is that it is so underrated and doesn't get the love I think it deserves. Between this movie and Bowfinger Murphy had a massively underrated 1999. It was the last time Eddie I believe was truly motivated. Seems like he is making a comeback hopefully he gets his mojo back.

Director - Ted Demme
Best Performance - Eddie Murphy as Ray Gibson
Factoid - According to the DVD commentary: During the diner scene, originally it was Eddie Murphy's character that was supposed to be angry about the "White Only" pies, while Martin Lawrence's character just wanted to leave. During filming, the scene wasn't working, so they came up with the idea of having them switch their lines. The scene played much better and that's how it appears in the finished film.

Memorable Scene

Toy Story - 1995

"To infinity and beyond!"
As you can tell from my countdown I enjoy me some Pixar when they are clicking like Pixar should. Well this is the beast that started it all in 1995. There were two movies growing up that felt like events and cultural touchstone. The Lion King like I stated in that post and this movie. This was just a massive movie that really thrust computer animation into Hollywood. It's probably one of the most important movies of the last 30 years if not in the history of cinema. It's pretty telling that they just released the 4th movie some 25 years later and apparently, is still good. (Haven't seen it)

Tim Allen and Tom Hanks as Woody and Buzz Lightyear are about as iconic animated characters as it gets. It would be damn hard to hear anyone else voice those characters. All the supporting characters are fun as well from the T-Rex, to Mr. Potato head to the dog slinky and so on and so on. Randy Newman's soundtrack to the film is also incredibly iconic. Everything about the movie is iconic when you grew up with it like me being my age.

The movie itself has a super engaging story. I am glad they dodged some super sappy love story and kept it between Buzz and Woody's relationship as it grew. Sid as the bad guy really works. It's just a well executed story that was innovative when it come out. It has produced 3 other really good movies which is hard to do. Toy Story was just a big part of my childhood and still holds up as I am in my early 30s.

Director - John Lasseter
Best Performance - Tom Hanks and Tim Allen as Woody and Buzz Lightyear
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 100%
Factoid - Billy Crystal was originally offered the chance to voice Buzz Lightyear, but declined. After seeing the finished film, he said the decision was the biggest mistake of his career. Upon learning this, John Lasseter telephoned Billy's house to offer him the role of Mike Wazowski in Monsters, Inc. (2001). Billy's wife answered the telephone and said "John Lasseter wants to speak to you." Billy took the telephone from his wife and said "Yes".

Memorable Scene

LOVE Toy Story, I'll always have a soft spot for it. I think it's 1995 not 1999 though.

Meet The Parents - 2000

"Oh, you can milk just about anything with nipples."
My comedies are drying up on this countdown. I think I only have one more true comedy left on this list. Be interesting if anyone could guess it. It's still a bit down the list. But this movie is just painfully too close to home . Who hasn't meet their gf/bf's parents and felt completely out of the loop. This is 20 times to the max with that situation . I think that's the strength of this film, it's a way too familiar feeling.

Stiller plays the awkward house guest, meeting the parents to a perfect T . Di Nero is amazing at the intimidating over protective dad who Stiller can't get comfortable with. Those two were cast just about perfect. Their chemistry in the movie makes it work. Watching Stiller ruin the whole family's wedding is an absolute riot . The small details were paid attention to in this movie and make it great. Having him wear the speedo to him spray painting the cats tail . It's all painfully funny. "It's just a game Focker!". "I have nipples Greg, can you milk me?". "Oh Jack talked Thai, Jack talked Thai real well.". "I am going pay a little visit to the shower fairy". "Circle of trust". "Or as you would say a huppah" hahaha I could go on and on. It's insanely quotable.

I always laugh and always stop when it's on tv. It's just a really damn memorable comedy. The sequels, not as much, but at least we got this one.

Director - Jay Roach
Best Performance - Ben Stiller as Greg Focker
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 84%
Factoid - The MPAA would not allow the name "Focker" unless the filmmakers could find an actual person with that surname.

Memorable Scene

Batman Begins - 2005

"A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely."

"Which is?"

"Legend, Mr. Wayne."
Oh it's Nolan again. He is a familiar face on this countdown. I missed this when it came out in theaters. Saw it I believe on tv the first time, the beginning. Didn't even realize I was watching a Batman movie. The beginning is so damn engrossing. This movie was a game changer to say the least.

This movie accomplished two things. It brought Nolan to mainstream and blockbuster movie making and he has been probably the most influential, important filmmaker since. It also woke up the studios to the mountain of gold and stories that superhero movies present. WB was just sitting on the Batman franchise since the 90s flops of Joel Schumacher days. Superhero flicks weren't taken serious and were not considered money makers until Nolan presented his idea and made this movie. WB was probably like what the hell we will give this new director a chance after his pitch. They had nothing to lose. Now with this movie The Dark Knight and the rise of Marvel every studio has to have a superhero franchise. For better or worse.

Again this movie works so well because watching Bruce Wayne ascend to become Batman you don't even realize you are watching a superhero flick. For my money Bale is the best Batman yet, definitely no doubt the best Bruce Wayne. His dedication to both characters is great. Caine, Freeman, Oldman, Holmes all serve their purpose. But I was also really blown away with Neeson's Ra's Al Ghul's take. He just carries himself with the mystic and mystery of a shady yet respected dude. I thought it was great. It was honestly the first role I saw him in, didn't even know who he was. (This came out my senior year of high school, I was naive to movies). Think it was brilliant to use more obscure Batman villains. Batman really does have the best rouge gallery.

But this movie is insanely rewatchable to me. The 3rd act sort of is the weak spot but it still works just fine. This movie is what put Nolan on the map for me. I went back and watched Insomnia and Memento. So I will always be grateful for that, and lead him to the relationship with WB which got things like Inception and Interstellar made. Always enjoy it when it's on tv.

Director - Christopher Nolan
Best Performance - Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 84%
Factoid - In an interview with Moviefone, Christian Bale said that he became interested in playing Batman after a friend of his loaned him the graphic novel "Arkham Asylum" (by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean) in 2000. After he read it, he told his agent that if anyone was making another Batman movie, he wanted in.

Memorable Scene