Actor Bruce Willis Becomes First Celebrity to Sell Rights to Deepfake

Tools    

The truth is in here
I've never really liked this kind of practice and find it a bit creepy, but if that's what Bruce wants I guess it's not as shameless. Hope he's enjoying his retirement.

You ready? You look ready.
Suppose this gives new meaning to "looking like a million bucks".
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Says a lot when its assumed just the likeness of an actor alone--not the talent, not their charisma, not their corporeal reality--is what people ultimately will care about. And, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be true for a not-insignificant percentage of the human race.

I've never really liked this kind of practice and find it a bit creepy, but if that's what Bruce wants I guess it's not as shameless. Hope he's enjoying his retirement.

I think he's either in tough straight financially, or his family is going for a cash-grab.

It's interesting that James Earl Jones has sold his voice so that Disney can keep Star Wars-ing with Darth Vader.

Makes me think of that old Pacino filn

I think we're heading to a future where we will be able "skin" our narrative media with our preferred characters. We're already doing in video games. That is, you pay a fee for the likeness of Daniel Day Lewis in your historical drama, and "poof!" there he is. What race, gender, etc., do you want your Little Mermaid to be? We got you covered. Something for everyone, probably including yourself on screen as the protagonist joined by Bruce Willis, James Earl Jones, Paul Walker, and Fred Astaire as your supporting cast. Don't worry, you can choose have the body of The Rock or Brad Pitt.

I am imagining some not-to-distant future where a family is having an argument who to choose and can't get past the character screen for the umpteenth Avengers sequel. "Grandpa, you always pick Willis! He sucks. That's like so 20th century."

I think he's either in tough straight financially, or his family is going for a cash-grab.
He has aphasia and has stopped working. I don't know if there's any chance of further complications with this but with medical costs in the US, why not take as much money as you can now? Christopher Reeves friends used to pay his medical bills after he ran out of money. I doubt/hope that won't be needed with this, but he's not going to be earning anything like that money again, so if the artist doesn't care about their image/work after they're gone, then taking the money now is a easy choice.

My only real worry with all this is a world where hedge funds own the world's art/culture and can decide who can/can't use/listen/watch/look etc at these things.

He has aphasia and has stopped working. I don't know if there's any chance of further complications with this but with medical costs in the US, why not take as much money as you can now?
Sure, but this is a bit different from the artistic avowals associated with such a move, right?

My only real worry with all this is a world where hedge funds own the world's art/culture and can decide who can/can't use/listen/watch/look etc at these things.
Well, that's kind of where we're at today. I got a strike on YouTube for using 2 minutes of fair use footage from Metropolis in a video that compared it to later films. The most widely preserved example of the film is already in the public domain and the footage I used was from that print, but it didn't matter.

Also, we should note that our discourse is becoming distinctly Soviet in that people have been forced to speak in veiled terms about topics like COVID (e.g., calling it "the coof") to avoid demonitization, deranking, and removal. I think we're already there.

I´ve read that Bruce Willis has denied that he sold his rights.

I've read that New Virtual Bruce has countered that the Willis family has sold the rights using power of attorney and that Old Willis has no right to deny New Willis appearances in future film properties. /s

Now that's passive income