R.I.P. William Smith (March 24, 1933 – July 5, 2021)

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This is strange. I was asked by PumaMan to find the "R.I.P. William Smith" thread, and i couldn't. Apparently no one made one or it's too old to find. Now, what is really strange about this is that SmIth, who died July 5, 2021, has held a special place in my heart since I first saw The Outsiders at the theatre in 1983. My best friend who lives with me today said then at the time that he didn't recognize Smith, and I said "I knew it was Smith before Smith knew it was Smith". Not a week goes by where one of us doesn't quote that. So, here's the thread @PumaMan. Say whatever you want and I'll post my visual tribute when I get a chance.

Wow, I didn't know that he had died. I loved this guy! When I think of Top 5 Villains of All Time, whether it be movie or TV, I always include Smith on the strength of his Falconetti in the Rich Man, Poor Man mini-series in the 70s. He was a dirty backstabbing mutha in that one and in my household, he held a place of honor in the Bad Guy Hall of Fame.

I can't believe I'm mourning his passing a year later. Never heard jack squat that I can remember. Hell, I might have even said something last year, but if I did, in my decrepit old age, I've forgotten. Nope, nothing there. When I saw Conan, the Barbarian not long after its release, I couldn't believe he was at the beginning as young Conan's dad. And the bad Russian in Red Dawn. And Jack Wilson in Any Which Way You Can (I can't believe I remembered his character's name without looking it up! Just like Falconetti).

I remember that he was in the TV series Laredo back in my kid years but I've probably only watched two episodes in my life. And I can remember him being in C.C. & Company with Joe Namath and Ann-Margret, although that was on late-night TV and cut up so I really didn't get a sense of anything excepting a few motorcycle (chopper) races and Ann-Margret (I like Ann-Margret!). I see it's on Amazon Prime so I might have to check it out again.

Plus, he was all over TV in the 60s and 70s in guest roles, but I can't remember a single one. I just know that he was there all the time.

RIP, William Smith.