Super Sunday! Any NFL Fans Out There?

Tools    

Love football, my second favorite sport after NCAA basketball. Today features the LA Rams vs. Cincinnati Bengals 6:30pm EST. Any other fans here, whether you like the game, halftime show or the commercials.

Haven't missed one of these games since the early '70s. Being a life long Detroit Lion fan, I will never see them in one of these games.

Yup. Our football talk usually gets absorbed by our fantasy football thread, but I think the big game deserves its own thread.

Figure the Rams D is probably just too good. Anything can happen but they're obviously the better team here, even though it's hard not to enjoy the Bengals' run. Really happy for Stafford after toiling away in all that dysfunction in Detroit for so long.

As time goes on it becomes clearer and clearer that an awful lot of very talented QBs are being underused in poorly-run, poorly-coached situations and sometimes just need a decent amount of talent around them to thrive. Football's just such an interconnected game.

I’m not an NFL fan but me and the boys still have a Super Bowl Sunday every year. So at least once a year I watch some ‘murican football.

However, due to corona and such we haven’t been together watching it the last couple of years. And we won’t make it together this time either, unfortunately.

Always watch the Superbowl. Herself stayed up with me one year but apparently that was a one-off so it's usually just me and a few snacks. Backing the Rams with my two fantasy teams, hopefully both Stafford and Kupp have a good game or I'll be out of the money with both.

Personally rooting for Cincy.

Not because of dissing Stafford for wanting out of Detroit (who wouldn't). But because we get a better draft slot the crappier the Rams play. Having trading him for the Rams #1 for the next two years. But alas, Staff makes the big game, so that means pick #31 or #32 this year. Bad luck for us.

Both sides made out in this deal:

Rams: The QB they lacked
Lions: Rams #1 this year
Rams #1 next year
Rams #3 (last year)
QB Goff ( an average QB)

Rumor has it that the QB from Cincy is the kid from Home Alone

The trick is not minding
In Joe Burrow I trust…

We have an animal tradition where we watch the SB at my best friends home every year, with a few gaps here and there, 15 years running now I think?

Stafford is much like Tannehill, where he needed to switch teams to be able shine properly. Actually, it may be closer to Brees, who flourished with The Saints after a rather mediocre run at San Diego. It remains to be seen whether he can have the same success.

Kupp will be a matchup problem for the Bengals. But keep and eye on OBJ as well. He has lots to prove after his acrimonious end in Cleveland.

Cincy has the suspect O Line, but Burrow has proven he can withstand the pressure and deliver when it comes down to it. Dude just doesn’t get rattled. He also has his own trio of WR corpses. Remember, Chase is down there somewhere and Burrow will throw it up for him to make a play.

The running games favors Cincy. Mixon has bounced back from last years injury in a big way.

Defensively, the Rams are favored here, but I think it’s closer than one might think.

And lastly, The Bengals have that swagger about it them and it doesn’t just start with Burrow. When your kicker is practically the second coming of Adam Vinatieri, and Burrow is being compared to both Brady and Montana of old, it’s easy to get caught up in the hype train.

Hoping for a Cincinnati win here. And I’ll representing in my Burrow jersey.

I’m a big football fan. My favourite team is the Packers. Looking forward to the big game tonight. I’m rooting for the Rams.

Let the night air cool you off
If I was still able to get excited about the NFL, this might be a game I'd be pumped for. It's beyond cliche to look at football games as a match-up between the two QBs, but I can't think of a Super Bowl QB duel that would be more interesting to me than this one. Add in their top WRs to the mix and it's even more interesting. But it's the Super Bowl, so there will be an extra long, extra bad half time show and a bunch of lame ass commercials that people are going to be talking about in the office tomorrow. Plus it's the NFL, so one or both of the defenses will just stifle the other team into a boring defensive game. Defensive games used to be fun, but that was when you could send receivers into the nether realm when they came across the middle. For better or worse, the games are less exciting because of it. Anyway, yeah this should be whatever. I'm just an old man yelling at the clouds.

For the first time in a long time I don't really care who wins the game. It would be nice to see Stafford win after toiling away in football Hell for over a decade but to do it in L.A.? Bummer. It'd be nice for a city that actually likes football to win the grand prize so I guess I'll be pulling for the Bengals.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The dominant narrative in the NFL for years has been the quarterback. Rule of thumb, the best one wins. Even though he is only in his 2nd year Burrow is the better quarterback, when it comes to the intangibles. Think Tom Brady, Burrow has it.

Regardless of the defense, Burrow survived being demolished by the Titans. Staffird and McVay both made mistakes that should have cost them the 49ers game.

Watch me be wrong, you never know. Can’t see the Rams winning.

The trick is not minding
Bengals have the momentum here. They’re fortunate to be down by 3, and now OBJ is gone. Burrow has shown he can play from behind, and Stafford has already made his typical “Stafford Play” with that interception.

I feel confident that Cincy can win this still.

If only we could figure out how to cover Kupp. 😒

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I was wrong. Given that. Let’s not act like no flags were thrown until the end of the game.

They sure came out late, but even the ticky tack one didn’t outweigh the face mask:
Really glad it didn’t turn on that. And that Hekker doesn’t become the next Buckner.