Hello101's 200 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

+1 for Gangs of NY. I only watched it for the first time last week, and while it isn't one of Scorceses best I still thought it was pretty good. The only other ones I've seen of the last two sets are Mouse Hunt and Bad Boys and I disliked both.

187. Inherent Vice (2014)

Inherent Vice is like a drug trip, you don't know what the f*ck's going on but just go along with it. Solacing is the pure fun and amusement which crosses out the stuff that don't make sense.

186. Swimming Upstream (2003)

Swimming Upstream is a touching Australian drama, I haven't seen it in a good couple year but still remember scenes clearly and enough to recommend it to my fellow MoFos. Quite overlooked, even in the Australian scene.

185. Hulk (2003)

Ang Lee's psychological approach elevates what would've been a superficial action film into a thought-provoking and balanced superhero flick.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
i hated The Hulk. Both Hulk movies pretty much sucked and it's the one Avengers character that I think Marvel got wrong. I love Thr Hulk in the actual Avengers movie, but The Hulk movies before hand had so much potential and they sucked.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

184. Matilda (1996)

Childhood favourite which still connects to this day, great characters and wonderful, colourful direction.

183. Ransom (1996)

Extremely tight and tense with a powerful performance from Mel Gibson. Much better than the remake, yeah it can happen.

182. Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (1998)

In anyone else's hands, the style of the source material would've been misunderstood and a film unworthy to the exuberance of the novel released. Terry Gilliam was the best choice to direct FALILV, as his unique direction shares a lot with the novel. Johnny Depp was a great choice as well.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
"Give me back my son!" (inside joke on Ransom) - I had a friend who said it was a great film, and I hadn't seen it yet, just remembered the trailer, and yelled it. The other friends around had a great laugh, and from then on, any time we saw Lance, I (or someone else) would yell, "Gimme back my son!"

Rep for Gangs of New York, Fear and Loathing was pretty good too.

I liked The Hulk, Ransom, and Fear and Loathing.

Haven't seen Swimming Upstream, Matilda, or Inherent Vice, although I look forward to the latter.

MouseHunt and Matilda are two movies I forgot even existed. You just brought back memories of my days in elementary school. Those are two movies that teachers threw in the VCR on a Friday afternoon if we had finished all our work.

I remember the soundtrack for End of Days better than I remember the film.

Not seen A Time to Kill or Inherent Vice and I've never even heard of Swimming Upstream.

Clockers is a good movie but too long. Bad Boys and Ransom are okay, but it's been a long time since I've watched either movie. I preferred Edward Norton's Hulk to Eric Bana's, but both were disappointing.

I want to read some of Hunter S. Thompson's work and return to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I think I watched it at too young an age to really appreciate it. Given my adulation for Johnny Depp and my interest in drug culture, it seems to have all the ingredients to become a favorite of mine.

Gangs of New York is the best movie to show up on the list so far.

181. Prometheus (2012)

Don't know how anyone could honestly dislike Prometheus yet adore 2001. Both have astonishing space imagery but one is entertaining, the other not. (cue stampede)

180. 127 Hours (2010)

James Franco proving he can be something other than Rogen's sidekick, an honest, visceral depiction of what can happen after a mere slip and fall in the canyons.

179. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Even though it falls short of its tremendous praise, A Clockwork Orange is still made great by offering a unique take on dystopia and a stellar lead performance.

Don't know how anyone could honestly dislike Prometheus yet adore 2001. Both have astonishing space imagery but one is entertaining, the other not. (cue stampede)

2001: A Space Odyssey may not be entertaining in the summer blockbuster sense, but it is awe-inspiring, thought-provoking, mesmerizing, mind-blowing, stupefying, astonishing, captivating, brilliant, momentous, transcendent and two thousand and one other adjectives. (And before honeykid or someone else makes a snide comment, "boring" is not of them.)

I wanted to love Prometheus, but it was a colossal disappointment. I agree with you about the great imagery. The movie looked amazing. I just wish they had put at least a small percentage of that energy into the script and the story.

I was impressed with Franco's performance in 127 Hours, but not the movie. What happened to that guy in real life is horrifying and the film makes you question what you would do in that same situation, but the subject was probably better suited for a short film than a full-length feature.

I like A Clockwork Orange, but not as much as I'm supposed to as a film buff and Kubrick fan. I watched it with friends, though, so there was a lot of talking and distractions during the movie, which probably hindered my enjoyment. One of these days I'm going to give it another shot. I keep telling myself that I'm going to read the book, too.

2001: A Space Odyssey may not be entertaining in the summer blockbuster sense, but it is awe-inspiring, thought-provoking, mesmerizing, mind-blowing, stupefying, astonishing, captivating, brilliant, momentous, transcendent...
I didn't find it to be any of those things.

(And before honeykid or someone else makes a snide comment, "boring" is not of them.)
It was definitely that, though.

178. Cape Fear (1991)

The original may be superior but that doesn't take away from the sinister fun of Scorsese's remake, if you can call it that. It strays so far from the slow burn of the original and seems almost self-aware of its excessiveness.

177. Milk (2008)

Like a funkier version of Brokeback Mountain with a splendid Penn performance which was much deserving of the Oscar despite popular opinion.

176. Mean Girls (2004)

Whenever Mean Girls is on TV, I just have to watch it, really entertaining stuff. As farfetched as it may sound, I get Goodfellas vibes from Mean Girls. Something about the way it's shot, the voiceovers and overall, how it aims for entertainment over technical achievement.

Haven't see the last two, though I have both. I just remember becoming annoyed then bored with Cape Fear, but I've not seen it in nearly 25 years. I have the same problem with it I do both Terminator films (though the sequel much more than the original)