Intially disliked films that will recieve praise in the future?

Tools    

It's happened with quite a few movies - Alien, The King of Comedy and The Shining off the top of my head.

Prometheus seems like it'll follow the way of its predecessor, I defintely think it will became a staple of the Sci-Fi genre in 20-30 years time. It's not hated now but it's not loved either, in the middle somewhere.

What else do you think?

It's happened with quite a few movies - Alien, The King of Comedy and The Shining off the top of my head.

Prometheus seems like it'll follow the way of its predecessor, I defintely think it will became a staple of the Sci-Fi genre in 20-30 years time. It's not hated now but it's not loved either, in the middle somewhere.

What else do you think?
I agree with you about the Shining - I loved Jack Nicholson's performance, but the plot itself was incoherent and made no sense to me - maybe the book was easier to understand.

Well, I was just using The Shining as an example. I kinda agree with you on it but the love (from other people) speaks for itself and that's why I included it.

Prometheus was my answer. What'd you think of that?

I think Prometheus has too many problems and feels like the filmmakers had a list to check off and made sure they checked everything off. But it wasn't terrible, and who knows how people will feel about in the future. Maybe they'll be less concerned it was a wasted opportunity.

Prometheus has too many problems and feels like the filmmakers had a list to check off and made sure they checked everything off.
I'll be watching Prometheus in a few days. Now I'm not sure if I will like it.

In this respect i guess Shawshank was the biggest movie. It was a utter financial disaster. Partly because it was released on the same day as Pulp Fiction.

It was known as the Rickshaw movie at the time. My word it has turned into a Ferrari!

Look what it is now. It tops the charts of DVD rentals and probably in many people's hearts.

I don't think so hellstorm, The Shawshank Redemption's initial reception:
The Shawshank Redemption garnered widespread critical acclaim from critics and has a "certified fresh" score of 91% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 64 reviews with an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. The critical consensus states "The Shawshank Redemption is an uplifting, deeply satisfying prison drama with sensitive direction and fine performances."[17] The film also has a score of 80 out of 100 on Metacritic based on 19 critics indicating "generally favorable reviews'.[18] The film has been critically acclaimed for depicting Jean-Paul Sartre's ideas about existentialism more fully than any other contemporary movie.[19]

Entertainment Weekly reviewer Owen Gleiberman praised the choice of scenery, writing that the "moss-dark, saturated images have a redolent sensuality" that makes the film very realistic.[20] While praising Morgan Freeman's acting and oratory skills as making Red appear real, Gleiberman felt that with the "laconic-good-guy, neo-Gary Cooper role, Tim Robbins is unable to make Andy connect with the audience."[20]

Accolades[edit]

The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards in 1994 without winning in any category: Best Picture, Best Actor for Freeman, Best Adapted Screenplay for Frank Darabont, Best Cinematography for Roger Deakins, Best Editing for Richard Francis-Bruce, Best Original Score for Thomas Newman, and Best Sound Mixing for Robert J. Litt, Elliot Tyson, Michael Herbick and Willie D. Burton.[21] It received two Golden Globe Award nominations for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture for Freeman, and Best Screenplay for Darabont.[22] Robbins and Freeman were both nominated for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role at the inaugural Screen Actors Guild Awards in 1995.[23] Darabont was nominated for a Directors Guild of America award in 1994 for Best Director for a feature film,[24] while cinematographer Roger Deakins won the American Society of Cinematographers award for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography.[25]
quoted from wiki

I wouldn't say Shawshank was "disliked" initially, it was a box office flop but received widespread critical acclaim from day one.

In this respect i guess Shawshank was the biggest movie. It was a utter financial disaster. Partly because it was released on the same day as Pulp Fiction.
It grossed $28 million on a 25 budget - it didn't actually bomb at the box office and lose money, but it barely made its budget back.

I don't think so hellstorm, The Shawshank Redemption's initial reception:

quoted from wiki
But you did not quote when Rotten Tomato came into existence. A full 5 years after the movie. By then Shawshank was pretty big.

The Help is critically acclaimed and a lot of nominations. How many people talk about that. When you say big... it means something that is that time on the tip of everybody's tongue at the time.

But I don't need Rotten Tomatoes, there's other sources praising Shawshank on that page alone. It was nominated for a number of big awards and won a few.

It grossed $28 million on a 25 budget - it didn't actually bomb at the box office and lose money, but it barely made its budget back.
Generally speaking a movie needs to earn back double its budget to break even. So going by those numbers it was still in the red at the time of its video release, but that's without counting its foreign gross. But still, Shawshank was critically well received at the time, so doesn't fit with the topic of the thread.

The Tree of Life, To The Wonder and The New World seem like films that will fare very well in the future, something about their visuals and cinematography. Terrence Malick's name attached is only going to help their chances. Just my 2cents.

Generally speaking a movie needs to earn back double its budget to break even. So going by those numbers it was still in the red at the time of its video release, but that's without counting its foreign gross. But still, Shawshank was critically well received at the time, so doesn't fit with the topic of the thread.
Thanks, that was interesting to know

The General and a great majority of Hitchcock's films (most notably Vertigo) got bad reviews when they were first released but today they are considered classics. If RT was around at the time of Citizen Kane's release, it would probably have about a 65% in 1941.

Funny I was thinking about starting a thread like this about a week ago.

Critically acclaimed films often are not popular with the public. And those that are popular aren't always appreciated by the critics.

Initially disliked films that will receive praise in the future?

Not many, as critics are a hard boiled lot and don't often change their opinions on films. The public on the other hand is fickle and can come to love films that are being praised by others.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I think Edward Norton said Fight Club would become a classic.