Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

What the ****?!
I know, right?

How to Steal a MIllion - 1966 heist caper directed by William Wyler and starring Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn plays Nicole Bonnet, daughter of famed art collector Charles Bonnet (Hugh Griffith). The Bonnet family have amassed an impressive collection over the years and Charles has made a tidy sum selling off various paintings to other art enthusiasts. The only problem being that they're forgeries that he himself has had a hand in creating. His pride and joy however is a small statue of Benvenuto Cellini's Venus. There was no such statue of course and the piece was sculpted by his father. He's never sold it because any attempts at authentication would reveal it's a fake. He does loan it to a Parisian museum and inadvertently signs a million dollar insurance policy which will of course require scientific testing to certify it's legitimacy. That same night Nicole surprises a burglar in their home trying to make off with a Van Gogh and accidentally shoots him with an antique dueling pistol. Not wanting to draw any attention to her father's collection she lets him go and ends up driving him home to his upscale hotel. Upon finding out from her father of the museum's plans to closely examine the statue she hit's upon a plan to hire the burglar, Simon Dermott, (O'Toole) to steal it before it can be tested.

O'Toole and Hepburn display great chemistry together (admittedly not to the degree she showed with costar Cary Grant in Charade) O'Toole is convincingly charming and witty and Hepburn is ... well she's Audrey Hepburn and that's more than enough. The rest of the cast also does well with their characters. Eli Wallach is also along as an American business tycoon obsessed with owning the statue by any means necessary. While it's not as fun or clever as Stanley Donen's Charade or as adept as Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief it's still breezy and entertaining enough to make it worth your while.

80/100

Memoria (2021, Apichatpong Weerasethakul)

There were a couple of things about the ending that made me raise an eyebrow just a little bit, but otherwise this is exactly the kind of film I expected from Weerasethakul. If I were to describe it in one word, it would be hypnotic. You literally feel time slow down to a standstill and linger in meditation, with moments that are filled with mysteries that no words can describe — the scene of Jessica's (Tilda Swinton) conversation with Hernán while he's scaling fish is as simple as it is transfixing. It's as pure and diegetic a viewing experience as one can possibly imagine, cathartic and impenetrable at the same time.
I am SO EXCITED for this movie. Love the director. Love Swinton. I can't wait.

Lilya 4-ever (2002)

Watched this for the 2nd time today. A supreme piece of storytelling....both tragic and inspiring. Oksana Akinshina is just so fragile yet strong in this sad tale.
This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and yet it is so upsetting that I've only seen it in full twice.

Tyrone Power is really good in this and I have never heard of him.
He's like my favorite pre-60's actor. Witness for the Prosecution and Abandon Ship! (Seven Waves Away in Britain) for starters.

Swan Song
Definitely worth a watch

Wow, an intelligent movie that commits to its premise and doesn't resort to cheap tricks, fluff, or extraneous messaging.

a husband and father who is diagnosed with terminal illness but is given a new solution: to replace himself with a clone.

Sounds cheesy, but this is well done. Our film features a black protagonist and a black family -- people who are culturally black, but not stereotypes. There is suspense and tension and meditation on identity, trust, etc., and I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say it is all handled well.

I agree with you about Alistair Sim. He was a brilliant comedic actor, and one of my favorites along with Terry-Thomas.

If you've never seen The Green Man (1956), it's a riot, with both men at their finest. I think you'd like it. It's a daffy fairly black comedy. One of those great Brit comedies from the 1950s.
I watched some clips on youtube and it does look right up my alley. The one where Sim is listening to the three ladies playing Hungarian Dance No. 5 in G Minor was hilarious.

Dont Look Up (2021)

I wanted to rate this lower, but it actually comes together at the end pretty well. The satire is completely over the top in the beginning (even for more my more liberal tastes). The tone never seems to settle or get comfortable, so even the authentic emotional scenes fall a bit flat. However, the cast is excellent, with DiCaprio really delivering here.

Odd Man Out, 1947

Johnny McQueen (James Mason), an Irish separatist, participates in a "fundraising" bank robbery in which a man is killed. Johnny himself is shot and injured, and must evade the police as he seeks help for his injury and tries to reunite with his girlfriend, Kathleen (Kathleen Ryan).

This film, directed by Carol Reed, really took me by surprise.

The main impression I had while watching it was that it reminded me in a lot of ways of Cranes Are Flying in the way that it uses its style to capture the subjective experiences of its characters, not being afraid to venture into a fantasy or hallucinatory realm to convey what is happening internally. As the film progresses and Johnny's blood loss and injuries begin to take more of a toll on him, we go from tilted camera angles to full-blown visions, as the bubbles of a spilled beer suddenly contain the faces of those he encountered during the day, or a room full of portraits gather around him like an audience. This is visually audacious, but also incredibly moving, stuff, and it's pulled off with incredible grace.

Mason is a strong lead here, and I liked the way that he portrays a man who is lost in both a literal and emotional sense. Johnny wants to make it home, but the cruel reality of his situation becomes more and more stark as the night wears on. In one sequence, a man begins to tend to Johnny's wounds, but says that he needs to go to a hospital. Another man remarks that it is cruel to heal Johnny just so that he can hang. This man, an artist named Lukey (Robert Newton), insists on painting Johnny's portrait, claiming that preserving Johnny's soul in this moment is more important than tending to his body.

Anyone who has seen The Third Man knows that Reed is a master of making the setting of his film its own character. Just so in this film, as the city transforms into a snowy series of shadowy streets and store-fronts. The city is at once full of safe little nooks and side-alleys, and at the same time there is the sense that nowhere is safe for very long. Johnny must keep moving or perish.

In addition to what I've described above, this film just gave me some very strong feelings. I'm not sure I can fully articulate why I found it so affecting, I can only highly recommend it.

I forgot the opening line.

By Paweł Pawlikowski - http://polishculture.be/ida-by-pawel...om-12-02-2014/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=42792891

Ida - (2013)

Oh yeah. This one is pretty special. Visually haunting - and with stretches that are quiet and still, Ida is a short lament about loss, guilt and choices in life that define us. A young novitiate and orphan is sent to live with her aunt (the girl's only living relative) for a while before taking her vows. Her aunt happens to be a hard drinker and a women who loves to sleep around. She also happens to be a judge in a tough period of Polish history following World War II. They both trace what happened to the girl's Jewish parents during the Nazi occupation - and what they discover will have a profound impact on them both. I loved how this film looks - not just the black and white cinematography, but the bare stripped back emptiness to everything. Going along with that is the lack of a score this film has, where we go through silent, contemplative stretches interrupted by the music of a jazz band or something else. The performances are powerful - and it all added up to a rare kind of film experience. Parts of it rocked me, others were soothing and as a whole this has the potential to become a real favourite of mine.

9/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2021/last_duel_ver6.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=68281500

The Last Duel - (2021)

I'm happy that after all these years Ridley Scott still has something very much worthwhile to offer. Here we have something that's nearly a retake on Rashomon, with three different points of view about an alleged rape in 14th Century France. The result of this will be a fight to the death between a dirty and mangled Jean de Carrouges (Matt Damon) and the more handsome and charming Jacques Le Gris (Adam Driver) who is pretty dismissive of the whole "no means no" theory of consent. The film also gives Killing Eve's Jodie Comer a good theatrical role. The Last Duel really gets into the spirit of creating a believable representation of the 1300s, and presents us with flawed characters living in a world of violence. Scott's best film for a long time, and another good screenplay collaboration between Damon and Ben Affleck, who appears as an insidiously unlikeable Pierre d'Alençon. I enjoyed it a whole lot.

8/10

By IMPAwards.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7850409

Fail Safe - (1964)

This was excellent - I've been meaning to watch it for a while. Came out the same year as Dr. Strangelove and was delayed due to legal action from Stanley Kubrick who feared if it came out first it would damage the box office potential of his film. So this has gone under the radar so to speak - a more serious look at what might have happened if nuclear weapons were accidentally used, sparking a potential all-out nuclear war. At one point I asked myself, "Hey, was that Dom DeLuise? It couldn't have been..." but it was. He has a cameo, ironically for a silly guy in an ultra-serious scene in a serious film. Anyway, a lot of recognizable faces backing up Henry Fonda as the President and Walter Matthau as a very Dr. Strangelove-type character. Deserves far more recognition than it's gotten so far.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

As a kid (and comic book fan) I really liked this movie.
It was kind of my fantasy of becoming a superhero (or at least a costumed crime fighter) put to film.
I even bought it on DVD as an adult... but lent it to a friend and never saw it again!

I'm kind of in the mood to repost my original review of The Bourne Supremacy here, so I think I'll go ahead and do that (although, since it was one of the first full movie reviews I ever wrote, it may not 100% on par with my more recent writing, I think there's still worthwhile content in it anyway. Plus, I reworked it some, so hopefully that'll help out it some more too):

They should've left him alone.

WARNING: spoilers below
To get this out of the way right off the bad, my reactions to the original Bourne trilogy could be described as being a bit up-and-down; The Bourne Identity was a decent first movie, but it really didn't distinguish itself all that much from the rest of the espionage action pack went, and Ultimatum was a strong "last" entry in the series, but it still didn't feel like Jason had much of anywhere left to go as a character in it. So, all of that leaves The Bourne Supremacy as my current favorite in the trilogy, as I've always felt that series-newcomer Paul Greengrass injected a huge dose of much-needed adrenaline into the franchise with his intense, visceral directorial style, while Tony Gilroy's screenplay brings in a new, unexpected focus on character and pathos, resulting in what I can only describe as one of the best action movies of the new millennium, in my humble opinion.

Picking up two years after the events of Identity, Supremacy opens up with Jason and Marie hiding out in India, with Bourne beginning to recover some of his memories from his time as assassin, with the fragments of an "assignment" he carried out in a Berlin hotel casuing him to suffer from many a sleepless night. However, following a botched CIA exchange that seems to have been sabotaged by Jason himself, and a fellow assassin's subsequent tracking of Bourne to his hiding place, Jason is forced back into action, both to clear his falsely-accused name, and as well to avenge Marie, who tragically payed the ultimate price for daring to fall in love with him.

However, compared to other Action movies, Supremacy really doesn't have all that much, er... ACTION, in it; there's one brutal, drawn-out fight-to-the-death at the halfway point, and one of the best car chases in recent memory during the climax, but besides those, there really aren't any other significant action scenes in the movie. However, Greengrass doesn't need a bunch of mindless violence to keep our interest here, as he utilizes raw storytelling energy to keep the tension piano wire-tight, always keeping the plot moving along in a concise, ruthless fashion, never pausing for breath unless it suits the scene, as he always has something of relevance happening or being set up here for later.

We discover new information only as the characters themselves do, and always see things from their perspective exclusively, which combines with the film's atmosphere of paranoia, intrigue, and conspiracy to make us feel like we ourselves are constantly being hunted, which makes the movie feel like a shark in that it never, ever stops moving, and I couldn't be more thankful for that. But, another major factor that distingushes Supremacy is how unexpectedly personal it is, as unlike in the first film, where Bourne was just a lost, confused amnesiac, he has a much more immediate motivater this time around, after the murder of his girlfriend, Marie.

This is what brings him out of hiding, but her death doesn't just serve as some generic "fridging", but rather, her memory lingers on within Jason, as he remembers how she wanted him to move on from his previous life of death. This is why Bourne only seeks justice for her murder, instead of revenge, and the various ways Bourne struggles to honor Marie's wishes throughout adds a lot, whether it be his refusal to kill the men responsible for her death (although he still brings them to justice in other ways), or finding the time while on the run to track down the orphan of his first victims, so he can tell her he's sorry, and that he now understand what it it feels like to lose someone. However, if that sounds overly sentimental in theory, it doesn't in practice, as Greengrass tackles it with the same level of craft he does everything else, keeping it in balance with all the other elements that he so expertly juggles here. As I said before, The Bourne Supremacy is overall an unusually intelligent, efficient, and focused spy thriller, and, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best Action films of its decade; "Bourne again" indeed...

Final Score: 9

I'm kind of in the mood to repost my original review of The Bourne Supremacy here, so I think I'll go ahead and do that (although, since it was one of the first full movie reviews I ever wrote, it may not 100% on par with my more recent writing, I think there's still worthwhile content in it anyway. Plus, I reworked it some, so hopefully that'll help out it some more too):

They should've left him alone.

WARNING: spoilers below
To get this out of the way right off the bad, my reactions to the original Bourne trilogy could be described as being a bit up-and-down; The Bourne Identity was a decent first movie, but it really didn't distinguish itself all that much from the rest of the espionage action pack went, and Ultimatum was a strong "last" entry in the series, but it still didn't feel like Jason had much of anywhere left to go as a character in it. So, all of that leaves The Bourne Supremacy as my current favorite in the trilogy, as I've always felt that series-newcomer Paul Greengrass injected a huge dose of much-needed adrenaline into the franchise with his intense, visceral directorial style, while Tony Gilroy's screenplay brings in a new, unexpected focus on character and pathos, resulting in what I can only describe as one of the best action movies of the new millennium, in my humble opinion.

Picking up two years after the events of Identity, Supremacy opens up with Jason and Marie hiding out in India, with Bourne beginning to recover some of his memories from his time as assassin, with the fragments of an "assignment" he carried out in a Berlin hotel casuing him to suffer from many a sleepless night. However, following a botched CIA exchange that seems to have been sabotaged by Jason himself, and a fellow assassin's subsequent tracking of Bourne to his hiding place, Jason is forced back into action, both to clear his falsely-accused name, and as well to avenge Marie, who tragically payed the ultimate price for daring to fall in love with him.

However, compared to other Action movies, Supremacy really doesn't have all that much, er... ACTION, in it; there's one brutal, drawn-out fight-to-the-death at the halfway point, and one of the best car chases in recent memory during the climax, but besides those, there really aren't any other significant action scenes in the movie. However, Greengrass doesn't need a bunch of mindless violence to keep our interest here, as he utilizes raw storytelling energy to keep the tension piano wire-tight, always keeping the plot moving along in a concise, ruthless fashion, never pausing for breath unless it suits the scene, as he always has something of relevance happening or being set up here for later.

We discover new information only as the characters themselves do, and always see things from their perspective exclusively, which combines with the film's atmosphere of paranoia, intrigue, and conspiracy to make us feel like we ourselves are constantly being hunted, which makes the movie feel like a shark in that it never, ever stops moving, and I couldn't be more thankful for that. But, another major factor that distingushes Supremacy is how unexpectedly personal it is, as unlike in the first film, where Bourne was just a lost, confused amnesiac, he has a much more immediate motivater this time around, after the murder of his girlfriend, Marie.

This is what brings him out of hiding, but her death doesn't just serve as some generic "fridging", but rather, her memory lingers on within Jason, as he remembers how she wanted him to move on from his previous life of death. This is why Bourne only seeks justice for her murder, instead of revenge, and the various ways Bourne struggles to honor Marie's wishes throughout adds a lot, whether it be his refusal to kill the men responsible for her death (although he still brings them to justice in other ways), or finding the time while on the run to track down the orphan of his first victims, so he can tell her he's sorry, and that he now understand what it it feels like to lose someone. However, if that sounds overly sentimental in theory, it doesn't in practice, as Greengrass tackles it with the same level of craft he does everything else, keeping it in balance with all the other elements that he so expertly juggles here. As I said before, The Bourne Supremacy is overall an unusually intelligent, efficient, and focused spy thriller, and, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best Action films of its decade; "Bourne again" indeed...

Final Score: 9
have u watched the bourne legacy it stars with jeremy renner

Victim of The Night
Ritter was great, but the movie was kind of "meh"
Also, why does Anne Archer have no pants on the poster?

Big Miracle

People coming together to save a family of whales trapped beneath the ice with only a small hole to breath through feels like a hollow victory in the grand scheme of things. The baby slowly dies - how wonderful and it is not known at all if the exhausted parents survived the ordeal but in the movie we get a big cgi driven spectacle of them going free... kind of tiring of these “based on true events” movies when I have a Wikipedia to hand... would’ve been nice to see some real footage of whales and lots more of it. Somehow lacked the heart and feels I was hoping for.

I suspect he meant immigrants, not emigres but still.
Huh? Google I'll grant you: "émigré
a person who has left their own country in order to settle in another, typically for political reasons." Or maybe I'm just talking out of my hat.

I am SO EXCITED for this movie. Love the director. Love Swinton. I can't wait.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and yet it is so upsetting that I've only seen it in full twice.
Watched this then "A Hole in my Heart" a few weeks later and just thought "what the actual fk"????

I hope you're planning to see the remake now...you can't fully appreciate the remake without seeing this film first.
Yes, indeed Gideon, I got to play the Bernardo character at school....badly!!!!

Watched this then "A Hole in my Heart" a few weeks later and just thought "what the actual fk"????
Crumbsroom has warned me away from A Hole in My Heart, so I haven't seen that one. But everything else I've seen from Moodysson (Show Me Love, We are the Best!) I have loved. The latter film in particular is just an awesome explosion of joy.