Spam my 2010s Countdown ballot!...movie recommendations needed

Tools    

Some overlap from my recs on the Preliminary Thread...

Moneyball
The Descendants
Captain Phillips
Whiplash
Nightcrawler
Room
Carol
Spotlight
La La Land
Deepwater Horizon
BlacKkKlansman
Eighth Grade

I fully endorse these.

Brooklyn (2015) and The Immigrant (2013)

Only set about thirty years apart, but two very different coming to America stories. Saoirse Ronan is wonderful at the center of Brooklyn as a young Irish girl who sees the limitations of her life in her hometown so she sets out for 1950s New York City. Ultimately a gentle and hopeful tale. James Gray's The Immigrant on the other hand tells a much darker tale of a Polish woman (Marion Cotillard) who lands at Ellis Island in the early 1920s and due to her beauty is almost instantly targeted by exploitative men, especially Bruno (Joaquin Phoenix) who quickly turns her to prostitution.

Jackie (2016) and First Man (2018)

A pair of films examining two of the biggest historical moments of the middle 20th Century. Jackie is Pablo Larraín's impressionistic, dreamlike look at First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy in the wake of JFK's assassination. The grief, trauma, and strength of that moment with a compelling performance by Natalie Portman. Damien Chazelle followed up Whiplash and La La Land with a stylized portrait of NASA's moon landing with Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong.

Silence (2016) and First Reformed (2017)

A pair of films about religion made by two '70s masters in the twilight of their storied careers. Martin Scorsese had been trying to get Silence made for decades. 17th Century Jesuit Priests played by Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver travel to Japan, where Christianity has been outlawed, to search for their mentor (Liam Neeson), who has vanished. The meaning and strength of true faith versus symbols of faith are examined beautifully. Paul Schrader's First Reformed also examines faith, but in a very modern context. Ethan Hawke plays a Protestant Pastor who is dealing with his own health issues as well as dwindling interest in his church, a flashy rival church (headed by Cedric "The Entertainer" Kyles) in town, and a possible extremist among his congregation. Hawke is brilliant as the fractured man trying his damndest to cling to his faith.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) and The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019)

Taika Waititi has become one of my very favorite filmmakers, and while he won an Oscar for Jojo Rabbit and made Marvel Universe bank with Thor: Ragnarok, my favorite of his movies so far remains Hunt for the Wilderpeople. His mix of humor and heart is on full display in this fun fable of an orphan (Julian Dennison) who winds up with a rural foster family (Rima Te Wiata & Sam Neill). After a misunderstanding the boy and his reluctant foster father go on the lam into the wiles of New Zealand with the authorities on their trail. The Peanut Butter Falcon has another unlikely pair on a walkabout in the contemporary American South. Shia LaBeouf's character has lost his brother and is being muscled out of his fishing business. After antagonizing his rival (John Hawkes) he literally goes on the run and winds up attached to a young man with Downs Syndrome (Zack Gottsagen) who has "escaped" from his care facility, on a pilgrimage to become a professional wrestler. An unusual setup but a uniquely charming flick.

Paterson (2016), The Meyerowitz Stories (New & Selected) (2017), and Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)

Three movies about artists. Jim Jarmusch's Paterson is one of his most accessible and charming films, following a thoughtful poet/bus driver (Adam Driver) named Paterson who lives in Paterson, New Jersey. Light on plot, but a sweet portrait of an artist's view of day-to-day life. Noah Baumbach's Meyerowitz Stories is closer to melancholy farce than Jarmusch's tone poem, following a family led by Dustin Hoffman's patriarch, a sculptor who had success when he was young but has grown bitter that he is not as esteemed as he believes he should be. Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, and Elizabeth Marvel play his children, Emma Thompson his fourth and current wife. Can You Ever Forgive Me? is based on a true story of a struggling writer (played by Melissa McCarthy) who discovers she has a talent for forging letters from famous dead authors and begins a scheme to make money and enjoy some level of acclaim and appreciation she never got for her own work. Richard E. Grant is fantastic as a desperate character who helps her in her schemes.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm getting some great recommendations here! Thanks everyone It helps and I'm excited about watching some newer stuff. I'll try and post a bit as I watch some of them. I watched one last night.

Ad Astra (2019)

Watch this one last night as my first watched recommendation. Had fun too! I love sci-fi but it's been so long since I seen a new science fiction movie, I forgot just how much fun they can be. Loved that scene up there on what I believe was an orbital tether? The monkey scene was my least favorite. But I won't over analyze this I'll just say it was enjoyable and now I'm wanting to watch more sci fi. Probably won't make my ballot but still worth a watch.

Thanks @John-Connor

I liked Ad Astra a ton when I saw it in the theater. Definitely want to see it again sometime, I wouldn’t mind going on a little James Gray rewatch binge at some point actually. It won’t make my list though so I probably won’t rewatch in the next few months.

Actually this makes me think that you would probably enjoy Lost City Of Z if you haven’t seen it.

That's a lot of movies Thief!

I'll check out the rest of your recs when I have a work break. Thanks!
I'll narrow it down to the better ones that I also think would be more to your liking, also removing the ones you already told me you've seen or that you will surely see...

Sarah's Key
King of Devil's Island
127 Hours

Moneyball
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Take Shelter

A Late Quartet
What Maisie Knew
Mud

Ida
Blue Jasmine
Captain Phillips

Kill the Messenger
Phoenix
'71

Room
Macbeth
Spotlight

Anthropoid
The Siege of Jadotville
Hidden Figures

Wajib
The Beguiled
The 12th Man

BlacKkKlansman
Roma
The Favourite

Tried to limit myself to three per year. Not all of them would be my top picks but, again, ones that I think are worth a watch, and maybe more to your liking, i.e. period pieces, historical or cultural phenomenons, biopics, sci-fi, drama, films with strong female leads or stories about women.

I liked Ad Astra a ton when I saw it in the theater. Definitely want to see it again sometime, I wouldn’t mind going on a little James Gray rewatch binge at some point actually. It won’t make my list though so I probably won’t rewatch in the next few months.

Actually this makes me think that you would probably enjoy Lost City Of Z if you haven’t seen it.
Yeah, Lost City Of Z is right up my alley. It's been awhile since I seen it, I believe I liked it OK overall, really liked the subject matter, maybe a bit too long.

@Thief

Ah thanks! Hate to tell you this but I already checked out all the movies you originally posted And I found some gems in your list that are now on my watch list. My wife wants to see The Farourite so that one will probably be next or close to it.

I've seen:
Ida
Blue Jasmine...I owe this movie a rewatch!
Captain Phillips...loved it
Phoenix...really liked it
Spotlight...lock for my ballot
Hidden Figures...really enjoyed this
The Beguiled...I was unsure and need to see it again
BlacKkKlansman...a fun movie.

@Thief

Ah thanks! Hate to tell you this but I already checked out all the movies you originally posted And I found some gems in your list that are now on my watch list. My wife wants to see The Farourite so that one will probably be next or close to it.

I've seen:
Ida
Blue Jasmine...I owe this movie a rewatch!
Captain Phillips...loved it
Phoenix...really liked it
Spotlight...lock for my ballot
Hidden Figures...really enjoyed this
The Beguiled...I was unsure and need to see it again
BlacKkKlansman...a fun movie.
Woohoo! Glad to know you've found some gems in there.

Woohoo! Glad to know you've found some gems in there.
You had a lot of good choices, and I will consider some of the others time permitting. I plan on watching a lot of 2010s movies from now until the countdown deadline.

I'm going to try to go through my recs for you later and narrow them down. I just copied what I rec'd for Goodies minus a few I know you have seen. If I rec'd them for her, then you at least know there's nothing offensive in there.

I'm going to try to go through my recs for you later and narrow them down. I just copied what I rec'd for Goodies minus a few I know you have seen. If I rec'd them for her, then you at least know there's nothing offensive in there.
Cool...of course I don't get really offended by films persay, but I do watch them with my wife and so I have to be considerate and not pick something extreme and as I've gotten older I like more character development and less thrill ride type movies.

I'll narrow it down to the better ones that I also think would be more to your liking, also removing the ones you already told me you've seen or that you will surely see...

King of Devil's Island
I love this movie!

Stellan Skarsgard and Kristoffer Joner

Phoenix and Anthropoid were amazing as well.

Widows (2018) is an action thriller, but what I really loved about it was the cast, including several outstanding female performances.

Warrior (2011) is not just a fight movie. It's more a drama about family. Corny and cliche but a very effective tearjerker.

Sleep Tight (2011) is a creepy foreign language thriller.

Capernaum (2018) I would consider a must watch.

Quo Vado (2016) is the highest grossing movie ever in Italy. A heartwarming comedy.

The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012) is a foreign language that emotionally destroyed me. Some sex/nudity but it's a mature movie.

Clash (2016) is a thrilling foreign language with a political story.

Everybody Wants Some (2016) if you like movies like Dazed and Confused.

The Art of Racing in the Rain (2019) Gbgoodies watched it in her thread.

Stronger (2017) Gbgoodies watched it in her thread.

Crazy Stupid Love (2011) Romantic comedy.

Conviction (2010) Underrated courtroom crime drama.

I, Daniel Blake (2016) I thought you had seen this.

Blue Jay (2016) Gbgoodies watched it in her thread.

Thanks @cricket I looked all those movies up at IMDB and they all look like well made movies. I think I'll watch Blue Jay and The Art of Racing in the Rain fairly soon. I've seen I, Daniel Blake it was good but I didn't love it and I seen The Broken Circle Breakdown and I was luke warm to that one but it too was a well done film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
These are the movies that I would give a second, (or in some cases third), recommendation to:

Moneyball 2011
The Walk 2015
Moneyball
Take Shelter

Enough Said
Side Effects

Nightcrawler
The Art of Racing in the Rain (2019)
A Star is Born (2018)
Blue Jay
Enough Said (2013)
Edge of Seventeen (2016)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Citizen Rules,
These are some other movies that I'd recommend that I didn't see on your list of movies that you've already seen:

Extraordinary Measures (2010)
The Sunset Limited (2011)
Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)
The Words (2012)
The Longest Ride (2015)
Our Souls at Night (2017)
The Greatest Showman (2017)
Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
Game Night (2018)
Searching (2018)

Ad Astra (2019)

Watch this one last night as my first watched recommendation. Had fun too! I love sci-fi but it's been so long since I seen a new science fiction movie, I forgot just how much fun they can be. Loved that scene up there on what I believe was an orbital tether? The monkey scene was my least favorite.
Why's that, out of curiosity?

Ad Astra (2019)

Watch this one last night as my first watched recommendation. Had fun too! I love sci-fi but it's been so long since I seen a new science fiction movie, I forgot just how much fun they can be. Loved that scene up there on what I believe was an orbital tether? The monkey scene was my least favorite.
Why's that, out of curiosity?
The monkey scene? I thought it was silly, sort of a b-horror type movie thing. It would've been better if the dead crew on the other ship had been killed by a fire. Visually that would've been more striking if the interior of the ship charred and melted from an intense onboard fire...It would be somberring as that really did happen during the Gemini project and it would be more believable than the killer monkey.

The Favourite
(2018)

The bunnies were my favorite part. I didn't like this, my fault for watching it as I didn't realize it was an R rated comedy, one that relied on shock gags to get laughs...well not from me. I didn't even know it was a comedy, next time I study up on the movie before investing 2 hours of my time. It wasn't funny or even shocking, but it was juvenile. I went into this hoping it would be like Elizabeth (1998) one of my favorite movies, but of course it wasn't. Instead I get Emma Stone being pushed into the mud and surrounded by flies, a music score that at times DROVE ME CRAZY, not to mention all that self absorbed fish eye lens usage, ugh! Oh and let's not forget three separate vomit scenes, good grief this isn't a 1990s movie...vomiting is so passé. I could do without all the course language too which made me keenly aware I was watching a 21st century movie and not seeing & hearing anything at all like one would back in 18th century London.
Well on to the next 2010s movie.