Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Excellent movie. Miles Teller so good in this (huge fan) & so was Shailene Woodley. Kyle Chandler in a brilliant cameo. Brie Larsen seemed uninvested in her character.

Oof, the movie that wouldn’t end. My dvd disc was degraded in the middle so I missed some scenes. But it still seemed like an eternity.

Never seen the attraction with James Dean.

Predictable and kind of slow, but still effective at inducing a sense of unease. If you have any discomfort with heights, this is the film to make you feel quite uncomfortable. 6/10

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Sniper. The White Raven (Marian Bushan, 2022)
6/10
The Black Tower (John Smith, 1987)
6.5/10
The Harbinger (Will Klipstine, 2022)
5/10
How to Please a Woman (Renée Webster, 2022)
6/10

The executive (Sally Phillips) of an all-male house-cleaning business learns that her clientele wants all kinds of things along with their cleaning skills, so she attempts to provide it.
Samuel's Travels AKA Squeal (Aik Karapetian, 2021)
5.5/10
Beast (Baltasar Kormákur, 2022)
6/10
The Fan (Ed Bianchi, 1981)
5.5/10
Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy (Ryűsuke Hamaguchi, 2021)
6/10

In one of three episodes, quiet jealousy occurs between two women ftiends (Kotone Furukawa & Hyunri) and one (Ayumu Nakajima) of their husbands.
Mighty Flash (Ainhoa Rodríguez, 2021)
6/10
Kings Go Forth (Delmer Daves, 1959)
5.5/10
Teenage Emotions (Frédéric Da, 2021)
6/10
Breaking (Abi Damaris Corbin, 2022)
6/10

Diagnosed with PTSD, Marine vet Brian Brown-Easley (John Boyega) just wants his money from the V. A. Administration, but he finds himself in a bank robbery-hostage negotiation situation surrounded by officers outside who want to kill him.
Gagarine (Fanny Liatard & Jérémy Trouilh, 2021)
6/10
Endless Love (Franco Zeffirelli, 1981)
5/10
The Hills Run Red (Carlo Lizzani, 1966)
6/10
Anne of the Thousand Days (Charles Jarrott, 1969)
7/10

King Henry VIII (Richard Burton) wants Anne Boleyn (Genevičve Bujold) to give him a male royal heir since he can't get one from Queen Catherine of Aragon (Irene Papas), but this causes all kinds of lies, deaths and scandals.
This Property Is Condemned (Sydney Pollack, 1966)
6/10
True Things (Harry Wootliff, 2021)
5.5/10
Sex and the Single Girl (Richard Quine, 1964)
6/10
Emily the Criminal (John Patton Ford, 2022)
6.5/10

Just wanting to pay off her student debt and not wanting a "real job", Emily (Aubrey Plaza) goes to work for Youcef (Theo Rossi) doing crimes, but soon finds herself to be the more forceful of the pair.

Mustang (2015)

+

Blind watch from the female directors list, I figured it was about horses. 5 young Turkish girls live with their aunt, uncle, and grandma. They are "protected" by not being able to dress up, go to school, socialize, or do anything else that normal kids in America or countries like it would normally do. Their only intended purpose is to eventually be married off and serve their husbands. These girls don't want that and this is a good film that shows the resulting drama.

Watched on Tubi

Petite Maman (2021, Céline Sciamma)

I was absolutely transfixed by the sheer purity, simplicity, the quiet innocence and love that permeate this little gem. One of the finest films about childhood and mother-child relationships I've seen, it manages to say so much with so little. Sciamma is such a delicate, understated director - check out her Portrait of a Lady on Fire, another thing of beauty.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2022/poster..._ver2_xxlg.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71505831

Moonage Daydream - (2022)

With the pandemic far behind me, and something really worth seeing on the big screen, I ventured forward today and saw my first post-pandemic film in a cinema. Moonage Daydream elevates the David Bowie mythology to almost God-like status, but grounds it by allowing us a sense of the human behind all of the masks. It does this with wonderful use of his catalogue of songs, and rarely makes the mistake of allowing itself to be too stereotypical or hackneyed. Brett Morgen has obviously spent time, and a great deal of care assembling footage from the man's life, interviews, concert footage, films, plays and television appearances - not to mention music videos. In between there's a sense of the cosmic, but it never becomes overly lost in it's own gaze. Our search for the meaning of life in what feels like the film's first few moments made me afraid this was some deification - but instead it turned into a full-on celebration of David Bowie's music, art and life. It was a visual wonderland, and a rock 'n' roll journey using the best music you'll hear blast you through an entire film. Best cinematic experience since Hereditary.

9/10

By http://www.impawards.com/intl/uk/2020/stardust.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=65719296

Stardust - (2020)

And then, at the other side of the Bowie spectrum, there's this little "gem". Stardust is one of two movies (the other was about Jackie Onassis - well able to sue) that disavow themselves right at the start - claiming to be "fiction", it takes place during Bowie's first trip to America, where's he's basically ignored, belittled and manages to embarrass himself over and over again. In Stardust he's clueless, insecure, weak, pathetic, henpecked and afraid of going mad. His new record, 'The Man Who Sold the World' isn't selling and he takes a road trip with publicist Ron Oberman (Marc Maron) across the States where he gradually picks up all the ideas he'll use for the creation of Ziggy Stardust. By the triumphant end, you'll wonder what's going on, because the film was not allowed to use one single Bowie song. Johnny Flynn plays Bowie as some kind of simpering queen - he doesn't sound much like him, and when he squeaks out an occasional cover everything really comes crashing down. This film is a complete disaster - and for fans of the musician it won't go down well. I can't say all I want to say about it without going on for far too long, so I'll do a whole review one day down the track.

2/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Man, I was furious when this came out. I was already in my mid to late 20s and I was a fan of classic Horror and this was just some silly adventure movie for kids. I was pissed.
It sounds like you did yourself a solid favour and avoided watching any of the sequels and spin-offs which stunk up the movie landscape for years afterward...

By http://www.impawards.com/2001/mummy_returns.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1008336

The Mummy Returns - (2001)

What didn't return was the fun and simple formula from the first film - instead the budget doubled and we were treated to an absolutely exhausting mélange of CGI creatures, kingdoms and a very odd-looking Dwayne Johnson-scorpion hybrid creature that the technology of the day simply couldn't pull off. Everything in The Mummy Returns is muddled, with too many characters crowding around a screenplay with sparse wit and a decided lack of character-building - which in the end means we don't care a wit about any of them. Arnold Vosloo's return as Imhotep brought a smile to my lips - but nothing else did.

5/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Universal Pictures., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1008651

The Scorpion King - (2002)

The idea of giving the Scorpion King from the 2nd Mummy film his own franchise sounds strange at first - but not when you realise that this appears to be a completely different Scorpion King. No matter, because this is your very basic swords 'n' sandals fantasy picture with a mystical maiden in distress, comic relief sidekick and...virtually nothing else. I can't think of anything. Bad guys getting whopped with the Scorpion King's sword? I guess yeah. All the way through. The formula is so worn out, that I was genuinely surprised at how lovingly everyone who made this film adhered to it. There's absolutely no connection to the Mummy franchise and I suspect the Scorpion King name was just pasted onto an already developed screenplay (from 1953).

4/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Profound Desires of the Gods (1968)

I didn't mind that this is over 3 hours long, but after 35 minutes, I don't know if this is going anywhere. But I'll await your (or someone else's) reply before deleting the movie from my DVR.

The Body (2012)

A new favorite mystery/thriller done just the way I like them. Same director as The Invisible Guest so if you liked that one then this is recommended. It was only a couple of minutes in and I felt like I was right in the middle of it, completely involved the whole time. Watched on Tubi.

Victim of The Night

By http://www.impawards.com/2022/poster..._ver2_xxlg.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71505831

Moonage Daydream - (2022)

With the pandemic far behind me, and something really worth seeing on the big screen, I ventured forward today and saw my first post-pandemic film in a cinema. Moonage Daydream elevates the David Bowie mythology to almost God-like status, but grounds it by allowing us a sense of the human behind all of the masks. It does this with wonderful use of his catalogue of songs, and rarely makes the mistake of allowing itself to be too stereotypical or hackneyed. Brett Morgen has obviously spent time, and a great deal of care assembling footage from the man's life, interviews, concert footage, films, plays and television appearances - not to mention music videos. In between there's a sense of the cosmic, but it never becomes overly lost in it's own gaze. Our search for the meaning of life in what feels like the film's first few moments made me afraid this was some deification - but instead it turned into a full-on celebration of David Bowie's music, art and life. It was a visual wonderland, and a rock 'n' roll journey using the best music you'll hear blast you through an entire film. Best cinematic experience since Hereditary.

9/10

By http://www.impawards.com/intl/uk/2020/stardust.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=65719296
Yeah, the thing about Bowie that makes him even greater than his legend and legacy would seem is just how human he really was.
I'm glad to hear that they captured that here, can't wait to see it.

Victim of The Night
It sounds like you did yourself a solid favour and avoided watching any of the sequels and spin-offs which stunk up the movie landscape for years afterward...

By http://www.impawards.com/2001/mummy_returns.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1008336

The Mummy Returns - (2001)

What didn't return was the fun and simple formula from the first film - instead the budget doubled and we were treated to an absolutely exhausting mélange of CGI creatures, kingdoms and a very odd-looking Dwayne Johnson-scorpion hybrid creature that the technology of the day simply couldn't pull off. Everything in The Mummy Returns is muddled, with too many characters crowding around a screenplay with sparse wit and a decided lack of character-building - which in the end means we don't care a wit about any of them. Arnold Vosloo's return as Imhotep brought a smile to my lips - but nothing else did.

5/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Universal Pictures., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1008651

The Scorpion King - (2002)

The idea of giving the Scorpion King from the 2nd Mummy film his own franchise sounds strange at first - but not when you realise that this appears to be a completely different Scorpion King. No matter, because this is your very basic swords 'n' sandals fantasy picture with a mystical maiden in distress, comic relief sidekick and...virtually nothing else. I can't think of anything. Bad guys getting whopped with the Scorpion King's sword? I guess yeah. All the way through. The formula is so worn out, that I was genuinely surprised at how lovingly everyone who made this film adhered to it. There's absolutely no connection to the Mummy franchise and I suspect the Scorpion King name was just pasted onto an already developed screenplay (from 1953).

4/10
I actually saw both of these (I actually used to see pretty much everything back in those days, going to the theater 3, 4, 5 times a week).
The second one was actually easier to take because I was over the disappointment of the first one and understood what I was going to see. The Scorpion King, obviously, is just a startlingly bad film. I feel like you're being kind with 4.

The Power (1968) is a cool scifi thriller about a small group of scientists that start being hunted once they discover that one among them is a genius with psychic powers. The movie follows the scientist Tanner, who faces surreal and deadly encounters as he investigates his only clue: the name Adam Hart written on a scrap of paper by one of the victims.

I was immediately fascinated by this movie. Someone having the ability to control other's minds is a scary idea because it would be very difficult to stop them. It makes sense that this level of power would corrupt someone, which is of course what the story is about.

The Power feels like an extended Outer Limits episode, which makes sense given that Byron Haskin directed several episodes of that show as well. The movie meanders a bit in the middle, but the conclusion is satisfying. Its currently available to watch on Tubi if anyone is interested.

Restrepo (2010)

Number 50 on our documentary list, it's about a platoon of soldiers fighting in Afghanistan. They name a post Restrepo after one of their fallen brothers. This didn't quite have the power of docs like Shoah or Night and Fog, but it wasn't without it either and there was a camera present along their journey. It's a strong look at the fighting, emotional toll, and the camaraderie between the men.

The Body (2012)

A new favorite mystery/thriller done just the way I like them. Same director as The Invisible Guest so if you liked that one then this is recommended. It was only a couple of minutes in and I felt like I was right in the middle of it, completely involved the whole time. Watched on Tubi.
This looks right up my alley

I just finished watching Melancholia (2011) for the first time. It was excellent. The film looks great, Kirsten Dunst is fantastic and the rest of the cast are good too. My rating is

By Copied from International Movie Poster Awards Gallery, and intellectual property owned by Warner Brothers, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3939655

Driving Miss Daisy - (1989)

It's been around 30 years since I last saw Driving Miss Daisy - after seeing it a few times after it came out, I felt I never really needed to watch it again - but then I never really considered the prospect of me being here 30 years later and figuring I'd finally forgotten most of the film. I'm probably a little more sensitive to it's emotional aspects, as evidenced by me tearing up a little at it's bittersweet final scene - and it was enough for me to dismiss the myriad problems I had with it. After all, if I wanted real life I wouldn't be watching a movie. The sweet relationship between Hoke Colburn (Morgan Freeman) and Daisy Werthan (Jessica Tandy) - as unlikely a couple as you'll ever see - is saccharine, but somehow it really works. It's pure feel-good, and although it skirts and sidelines a variety of issues, I get that this isn't what the movie is about. It might not challenge, confront or dig very deep, but it's a pleasant journey. Somewhat formulaic, but I think it does what it wants to do well.

7/10

I just finished watching Melancholia (2011) for the first time. It was excellent. The film looks great, Kirsten Dunst is fantastic and the rest of the cast are good too. My rating is
A very, very great film.

Victim of The Night
We are of one mind on this topic.

Victim of The Night

By Copied from International Movie Poster Awards Gallery, and intellectual property owned by Warner Brothers, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3939655

Driving Miss Daisy - (1989)

It's been around 30 years since I last saw Driving Miss Daisy - after seeing it a few times after it came out, I felt I never really needed to watch it again - but then I never really considered the prospect of me being here 30 years later and figuring I'd finally forgotten most of the film. I'm probably a little more sensitive to it's emotional aspects, as evidenced by me tearing up a little at it's bittersweet final scene - and it was enough for me to dismiss the myriad problems I had with it. After all, if I wanted real life I wouldn't be watching a movie. The sweet relationship between Hoke Colburn (Morgan Freeman) and Daisy Werthan (Jessica Tandy) - as unlikely a couple as you'll ever see - is saccharine, but somehow it really works. It's pure feel-good, and although it skirts and sidelines a variety of issues, I get that this isn't what the movie is about. It might not challenge, confront or dig very deep, but it's a pleasant journey. Somewhat formulaic, but I think it does what it wants to do well.

7/10
I've always wanted to have a conversation with Morgan Freeman, in general really, but certainly touching on how he felt about playing this character, then and now.

Fluffy little rom-com, but quite good. Paltrow with horrible plucked-to-death eyebrows.