maybe 1987, a brunette guy wearing large glasses is a genius that lose

Tools    

maybe 1987 ?, a brunette guy wearing large glasses is a genius that loses everything so must get back on top. he acts a little nerdy. i think he builds some contraption at the end of the movie. the title may have the name of the main character. i remember him being rob lowe, but now i'm not so sure. i've googled for days, and it's not:

movies:
real genius
class
Bad Influence
Illegally Yours
Masquerade
Square Dance
About Last Night...
Youngblood

actors:
val kilmer
matthew broderick
patrick dempsey
ralph macchio
tom hanks
tom cruise
charlie sheen
andrew mccarthy
michael fox

thank you for helping me remember the name of the movie!

i remembered last night: i think he caught his girlfriend with another guy. also, i think there was a pool, like maybe in his backyard?

You say you have ruled out Patrick Dempsey, but the only thing that sounds vaguely close from your broken description is Can't Buy Me Love.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

thank you for a reply. i've seen can't buy me love, although it's not the movie i'm thinking of. regarding movies, maybe the reason my memory is so sketchy is that i watch them out of order, and many years apart, lol.

maybe 1987 ?, a brunette guy wearing large glasses is a genius that loses everything so must get back on top. he acts a little nerdy. i think he builds some contraption at the end of the movie. the title may have the name of the main character. i remember him being rob lowe, but now i'm not so sure. i've googled for days, and it's not:

movies:
real genius
class
Bad Influence
Illegally Yours
Masquerade
Square Dance
About Last Night...
Youngblood

actors:
val kilmer
matthew broderick
patrick dempsey
ralph macchio
tom hanks
tom cruise
charlie sheen
andrew mccarthy
michael fox

thank you for helping me remember the name of the movie!
Anything else you remember? Not too much to go on really

i've been searching my memory, but atm, i just remember how i felt: he kept his head down, like he was thinking, and maybe his shirt was buttoned up to his neck, and i think only rob lowe could have pulled off the part. that's why i liked the movie, because of his optimism in the face of defeat.

edit: i saw it in a theater, but i think the theater was empty, so maybe no one in america saw it, lol

no, that's why i said maybe 1987, but it could have been 86? pretty close to that time.

it was illegally yours with rob lowe, 1988.

Thanks for coming back with the answer (and marking it as answered)