What's your unpopular movie opinion?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
All 3 are fantastic, but yeah I prefer BB of the 3.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Ledger's Joker does not stand alone.

Yeah i've been watching a few Anime at the moment so i usually go to MAL and read what people had to say about the episodes. Wandered into Current Events and immediately regretted it, awful. Also all the Pingu stuff is incredibly unfunny.
Memes can be obnoxious at times, yeah, specially when they are not backed by witty or funny content. Which is kind of the thing that happens with Pingu. People keep repeating something that wasn't that funny to start with and add nothing.

I have a long and sort of complicated love-hate relationship with MAL due to these and many other reasons. It's quite a mess of a site, though finding the diamonds in the rough is still satisfying.

Jack Nicholson's performance in The Shining is so over-the-top bad that the film is unwatchable. I'm getting mad just thinking about it because I really want to like it but, he's so awful that I can't.

Watched it for like the twelfth time last month. Jack is fantastic and i think i enjoy Duvall more each time. I mean she was genuinely completely messed up during all of it due to Kubrick's treatment of her, it's possibly the most realistic horror performance because of that. Used to find her annoying i don't any more though.

Memes can be obnoxious at times, yeah, specially when they are not backed by witty or funny content. Which is kind of the thing that happens with Pingu. People keep repeating something that wasn't that funny to start with and add nothing.

I have a long and sort of complicated love-hate relationship with MAL due to these and many other reasons. It's quite a mess of a site, though finding the diamonds in the rough is still satisfying.
Just noticed this. I think the fact that they got Pingu high on the list is slightly amusing, an incredible waste of their time but a little funny. It's all the jokes in the threads that are awful, they are all the same thing. "[Obviously Bad Anime] is a masterpiece! It's better than [genuinely agreed upon good anime]". It's really childish, makes me think the average MAL user, or at least the average MAL Forum user is around 13 years old. There are good posts, i've stumbled upon a few of your posts there since you have the same username and they are usually interesting, i think the good users are in the vast minority there though.

I read it for a while when i was watching anime around two years ago though and it didn't seem so bad so maybe it's took a turn for whatever reason recently.

You've got red on you!
Yeah, that's probably my most unpopular opinion, a great dislike of the Shining and the performances of Nicholson/Duvall. Leaving aside the fact that the novel is one of my favorites and at the same time knowing how difficult it can be to translate book to screen, it just didn't appeal to me. Jack Torrance's transition to insanity was more gradual and way less over the top than what Nicholson did. And from what I remember, Wendy Torrance was not reduced to a puddle of tears quite so quickly and easily as Duvall made it seem.

Yeah, that's probably my most unpopular opinion, a great dislike of the Shining and the performances of Nicholson/Duvall. Leaving aside the fact that the novel is one of my favorites and at the same time knowing how difficult it can be to translate book to screen, it just didn't appeal to me. Jack Torrance's transition to insanity was more gradual and way less over the top than what Nicholson did. And from what I remember, Wendy Torrance was not reduced to a puddle of tears quite so quickly and easily as Duvall made it seem.
The Shining is probably THE most polarizing movie ever made. There's only two schools of thought - people either think it's a horror masterpiece or absolute crap. There's never an in-between.

I'm one who thinks its a masterpiece.

Pingu is polar-icing if that helps at all.

Just noticed this. I think the fact that they got Pingu high on the list is slightly amusing, an incredible waste of their time but a little funny. It's all the jokes in the threads that are awful, they are all the same thing. "[Obviously Bad Anime] is a masterpiece! It's better than [genuinely agreed upon good anime]". It's really childish, makes me think the average MAL user, or at least the average MAL Forum user is around 13 years old. There are good posts, i've stumbled upon a few of your posts there since you have the same username and they are usually interesting, i think the good users are in the vast minority there though.

I read it for a while when i was watching anime around two years ago though and it didn't seem so bad so maybe it's took a turn for whatever reason recently.
Thanks for your words!

You are right in that it in general is childish, though rather than 13-year-olds it is just a cesspool of bait, memes and trolling. Discussions are repeated again and again and it kind of feels like the forum always moves in circles around the same topics. Partly due to people creating alts and obvious baits to troll, but also due to the lack of a consistent moderation work. It is specially annoying when something becomes trendy and we suddenly have 20 threads about the same thing, and even worse when the thread idea is voiced in a way that comes off as troll-ish and inflammatory. Actually a lot of people in the threads react to and complain about this.

Aside from that one of the problems may be that people are too used to fulfill a role, which kind of makes the relationships less dynamic, though in a way it is an advantage because you can choose much easier which ones to follow. But in general I think that the MAL users tend to focus too much on creating a personality and living up to it no matter the context. I don't think the forum has gone worse, it just has its ups and downs and admittedly it may be at a low now, but for example lately we've had a few threads that were quite great to read with various users contributing with elaborate and well-thought out posts.

It's true that the forums have lost a lot of valid people and that the replacements may not have come as soon as they should. In that sense clubs may be a better alternative, and there's many that are brought precisely to provide an escape route from the toxicity of the forums, where users can chill and all in a like-minded environment. This one in special brings together a lot of the people I've been fond of through my stay in MAL and is just a nice place to stay overall.

According to My Anime List the Japanese one is the 26th Best Anime of all time It was third or something at some point.
I love the bit where he climbs out of the well and then out of the telly, long dark hair cascading down in front of his face. The US remake with Naomi Watts is marginally better tho' imo.

Oh wait

My unpopular opinion: Adam Sandler's movies are in general better than the Coen brother's.

Thanks for your words!

You are right in that it in general is childish, though rather than 13-year-olds it is just a cesspool of bait, memes and trolling. Discussions are repeated again and again and it kind of feels like the forum always moves in circles around the same topics.

Partly due to people creating alts and obvious baits to troll, but also due to the lack of a consistent moderation work. It is specially annoying when something becomes trendy and we suddenly have 20 threads about the same thing, and even worse when the thread idea is voiced in a way that comes off as troll-ish and inflammatory. Actually a lot of people in the threads react to and complain about this.

Aside from that one of the problems may be that people are too used to fulfill a role, which kind of makes the relationships less dynamic, though in a way it is an advantage because you can choose much easier which ones to follow. But in general I think that the MAL users tend to focus too much on creating a personality and living up to it no matter the context. I don't think the forum has gone worse, it just has its ups and downs and admittedly it may be at a low now, but for example lately we've had a few threads that were quite great to read with various users contributing with elaborate and well-thought out posts.

It's true that the forums have lost a lot of valid people and that the replacements may not have come as soon as they should. In that sense clubs may be a better alternative, and there's many that are brought precisely to provide an escape route from the toxicity of the forums, where users can chill and all in a like-minded environment. This one in special brings together a lot of the people I've been fond of through my stay in MAL and is just a nice place to stay overall.
This is a characteristic of the internet forums in general. All these problems are also present here as well.

Internet forums tend to be characterized by low level discussion because the cost of entry is near zero. While topics tend to repeat themselves because these are standard things that people tend to talk about (like people here talking about Nolan's movies).

The internet is not the place for high level discussion about anything.