A V P

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by The Sarge
Im a hardcore fan....

Those words right there, don't really fit at all into what I believe is your actual knowledge into the Alien or Predator (whatever) films. Anderson is NOT the one to write this nor even be in full charge. AVP did in no way follow the traditional ways of the Alien and the Predator. The ending sucked like sh*t and I pray to God there's no sequel.

Originally Posted by jrs
Those words right there, don't really fit at all into what I believe is your actual knowledge into the Alien or Predator (whatever) films. Anderson is NOT the one to write this nor even be in full charge. AVP did in no way follow the traditional ways of the Alien and the Predator. The ending sucked like sh*t and I pray to God there's no sequel.
ok, but how do you feel?? lol

I'm going to go relatively deply into the plot to get my point across. It begins with Lance Hendriksen's company discovering the temple in Antarctica. This is very exciting. We quickly are introduced to the main characters as a representative of Hendriksen's (that black guy who was rumored to be the next James Bond...I forget his name. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him as Bond) travels the globe recruiting people for an expedition. We get terrible little introductions that tell us nothing about anyone other than the fact that they're textbook b-movie characters. We start to get the feeling that Anderson really just wanted to get to the fighting as quickly as possible. The only ones of note are the courageous, strong female mountain climber and the sexy Italian archaeologist man.

We get to Antarctica, and that competing Bellocq-esque character from the original script isn't there. Nuts. Some forgettable stuff happens, and the team ends up going down a shaft to the temple that the Predator ship lasered through the ice. The predators land and kill some people. Despite sexy archaeologist's warnings, black James Bond takes some Predator guns out of a sarcophagus, and the team gets locked down in the temple. An alien queen gets unfrozen, and face-grabbers eventually surface to kill some more characters that I'm pretty sure we were supposed to know and love.

At this point, the fighting begins, and it's fantastically stupid. We see the aliens jumping around like ninjas, in full view, which completely eliminates the mystique that made "Alien" so good. And guess what, two of the three Predators get killed within 5 minutes. Then after another 10 or so, the only human left is Sanaa Lathan, the courageous climber lady. So, logically, she teams up with the last Predator to defeat the aliens. I finally laugh.

Here, there's a silly little scene in which the Predator rewards Sanaa Lathan's courage by making her an "honorary Predator." This, to me, was taking the incredibly cool ending of "Predator 2" and pissing all over it. I laughed here, and so did half of the other people in the theater.

Good Predator and Sanaa blow up the temple, and then have to fight the Alien Queen, who runs around like the T-Rex from Jurassic Park. They defeat her, but it costs the life of poor Good Predator. The Predator mothership shows up (or was it there all along?). Some Predators take away Good Predator's body, and their leader approaches Sanaa Lathan. When he sees that she's an Honorary Predator, he gives her his spear and leaves. After this moment, I don't think I'll ever be able to look at "Predator 2" the same way again.

We see Sanaa walking away triumphantly in plainclothes, not seeming to mind that it's frigging Antarctica, and we all feel very proud of her. But wait...we cut to the Predator ship, where Good Predator is lying on a table, dead. It's now that we remember that a face-grabber had gotten him earlier in the movie. Sure enough, out pops...well I'll let you see this one for yourself. It's absolutely ridiculous, and I don't want to ruin it. If you guess what it is, and then say to yourself "no, that can't be it, that's just stupid"...you have too much faith in Mr. Anderson. At this point, I get up and leave.

Yes, I've glossed over a whole lot, but honestly nothing else is worth mentioning. The movie is completely rushed, and it just plain sucks. It literally could have been 45 minutes long and been just as good. There isn't a memorable character, scene, quote, or death. The effects are reasonably good, but they're nothing new.

The Queen Alien is moderately cool...but she's not supposed to be a T-Rex, she's supposed to be a giant, disturbing, sedentary monster that does nothing but pop out eggs and drive Brad Dourif insane. The camaraderie between Good Predator and Sanaa Lathan is just insulting. Sanaa Lathan is not Danny Glover. Paul WS (what the hell does that stand for, anyway?) has taken one great series (well, except for the fourth one) and one pretty good series and combined them to create completely forgettable crap. It's a real shame, given that we've all been waiting so long for it.

how many different ways can you say that you hated this movie JRS, honestly, i think you've made your point, and your exaggerating

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
ok, but how do you feel?? lol
how many different ways can you say that you hated this movie JRS, honestly, i think you've made your point, and your exaggerating
Well, you did ask just now I felt and I told you. And no....I am not exaggerating. I made a valid point.

i was being sarcastic when i asked that question

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
Originally Posted by jrs
Those words right there, don't really fit at all into what I believe is your actual knowledge into the Alien or Predator (whatever) films. AVP did in no way follow the traditional ways of the Alien and the Predator. The ending sucked like sh*t and I pray to God there's no sequel.
Soz m8 but ur wrong. AvP did in fact follow the traditional way of the Preds from a cultural point. The Preds hunt the Aliens, the Aliens come into being from gestating inside a host so the Preds lure the humans to the temple to become hosts therefore creating prey, thus enabling a hunt. The Preds were youngsters who were out to prove themselves worthy of small team / single hunts so they were given no plasma castors..... these they were supposed to get 'if' they needed them. I would suggest reading the Dark Horse comic books from back in the 1990's....... gives a much better insight into the Preds hunt. Much the same story as well except the Comic books are set on a cattle ranch on a sun drenched planet...... it still see the heroine teaming up with a Pred and being 'marked', although in the books as she has been marked she is taken along with the Preds as the dead Yautja's replacement. (FYI.... Yautja..... race name for Preds).

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
Originally Posted by jrs
I never said he was in charge....... i said "IF". The words "hardcore fan" i used to describe myself when it comes to the Predator movies ( not aliens) do not fit into what you beleive to be my actual knowledge of said films...... well, i watched Pred exactly 99 times on VHS, saving the 100th veiwing for the dvd release... i've not even bothered counting since then and have not kept a log of my veiwings of Pred2.... but its a damn lot. I've amassed over £3000's worth of memorabilia and have been posting on the AvP forum since september 2001...... beleive me when i say "im a HARDCORE fan".
You might prefer the ending if you fully understood it....... If a Pred falls in battle and no self distruct has been activated the bodies are collected for A) respect and B) so no-one finds the body of a 7ft dreadlocked OWLF. The Preds at the end of AvP left the alien inside of the dead body because it was a hybrid........ due to a Preds genetics the whole gestating thing got muddled up, creating a Predalien. The Preds hunt the aliens because they're tuff prey, so how tuff will an Alien / Pred crossbreed be.... remember, for a Ped it's all about the hunt. You may think i'm talking a load of sh*te, and i am starting to feel flamed for my opinion / obcession......think about the ending and think about what i've posted as an explanation to the ending..... it makes sence.

film making extraordinaire
Originally Posted by jrs
I'm going to go relatively deply into the plot to get my point across.
There was a plot?

film making extraordinaire
Predator should have wasted that stupid woman, i think we all can agree on that

he needed her help, and she had at least proven that she was formidable against the aliens

I See You When You're Sleeping
To be honest though, it's hardly believable to see that she survives and the predator dies.

Jrs, i don't think that you should post here, you only have bad things to say about this movie, you keep repeating yourself, and you've made your point

Jrs, i don't think that you should post here, you only have bad things to say about this movie, you keep repeating yourself, and you've made your point

I decided not to post on this thread anymore. I didn't mean to be a annoyance, I just despise this film like hell.

Yes, I made my point, so I will move on away from the AVP thread.

BTW......I will though check out the AVP DVD. They always bring out something to interest you.

i'm definately getting that, apparently there are definate plans to put in a directors cut that will return the film to it's R status, and i look forward to seeing the film as the makers intended

this movie was strange, i had fun watching it but it seemed like it took forever to get good, then it was over. and what the hell is up with 2 predators getting killed right off like chumps, in the pyramid scene there were thousands and thousands of aliens and a small handfull of predators, they lead you to believe that the predators were about to open a can of whoop ass and slaughter them all, i guess they have gotton soft since the old days, lol. i did like the way the predators looked, the aliens were the usual. the people were stupid, bout it. this movie could have went on another hour and added alot more to be so much better. imo by the time you really get into it they toss that lame ending on you and you leave sad.

well, i can't deny that the real action was a bit short-ended, but as for being killed quickly, they weren't even blooded, they were as young as possible for someone on the hunt, and i'd again like to point out that many parts were cut out, and the Directors release will be much better