The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Any updates with Captain T? If their recommendation doesn't come in soon I may not get to it as the next few weeks leading up to the 4th could be pretty crazy.

Any updates with Captain T? If their recommendation doesn't come in soon I may not get to it as the next few weeks leading up to the 4th could be pretty crazy.
He should have been one of the leaders in this instead of where he's at.

CaptainT has been DISQUALIFIED from this HoF!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
He should have been one of the leaders in this instead of where he's at.

Did he send the recomendations? Just curious to know what he picked!

Did he send the recomendations? Just curious to know what he picked!
CaptainT
Cricket: Gangs of New York (2002)
Edarsenal: The Searchers (1956)
Citizen Rules: Pygmalion (1938)
John-Connor: Some Like it Hot (1959)
Hey Fredrick: Miller’s Crossing (1990)
Ahwell: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Miss Vicky: Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Siddon: Man on Wire (2008)
Frightened Inmate No. 2: Fight Club (1999)
Captain Spaulding: Martyrs (2008)
Wyldesyde19: Dial M For Murder (1954)
TheUsualSuspect: 12 Angry Men (1957)
HashtagBrownies: Green Book (2018)
Neiba: Grand Illusion (1937)

It's too bad because I think he made mostly good picks.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Damn, that's a great list. I've seen most of that and I can see some of them becoming favourites to the people he picked them to.

Damn, that's a great list. I've seen most of that and I can see some of them becoming favourites to the people he picked them to.
Yea, just for me personally it's probably surprising I haven't seen Gangs of New York yet.

Can't say I'm disappointed at not having to watch Shadow of a Doubt.

Would've been very interested to see what @ahwell thinks of Eternal Sunshine. He should still watch it anyway.
Yours was the nom I most questioned.

Can't say I'm disappointed at not having to watch Shadow of a Doubt.

Would've been very interested to see what @ahwell thinks of Eternal Sunshine. He should still watch it anyway.
I’ve been intrigued by it for years so hopefully will get to it soon!

Too bad he didn't finish as he picked some really great noms for us all. He might have had the best watch list in the group. Maybe he even would've won.

This is a fantastic idea for a HoF. Would love to join such in the future.
Gotta do this HoF again!

Billy Wilder comedies are always interesting: The dialogue isn't like a traditional comedy, it's more like the characters all act in a lighthearted fun manner, even the bad guys to an extent.
This film is structured in an interesting way: While yes the film is about prisoners trying to find an informant, these pivotal plot scenes take place during long scenes of the prisoners finding ways to entertain themselves in isolation. It is inspiring in a way, to see people fighting for their rights still have their spirits high even during troubling times.

Despite the main plot being focused on mainly 5 characters, there's a wide array of supporting characters that build the world of the film. Robert Strauss and Harvey Lembeck were my favourites; Almost a Timon and Pumbaa pair of friends who are always up to mischief. The character of Joey might be the most interesting character in the entire film, despite the fact he has only 5 minutes of screen time and doesn't affect the plot in any way. It is heartbreaking to see a fine young man have his mind destroyed by war. William Holden's character is also very interesting; He is trying to do something for the greater good yet he is also very selfish and not exactly the good guy in this story.

Very good film

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
CaptainT
Cricket: Gangs of New York (2002)
Edarsenal: The Searchers (1956)
Citizen Rules: Pygmalion (1938)
John-Connor: Some Like it Hot (1959)
Hey Fredrick: Miller’s Crossing (1990)
Ahwell: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Miss Vicky: Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Siddon: Man on Wire (2008)
Frightened Inmate No. 2: Fight Club (1999)
Captain Spaulding: Martyrs (2008)
Wyldesyde19: Dial M For Murder (1954)
TheUsualSuspect: 12 Angry Men (1957)
HashtagBrownies: Green Book (2018)
Neiba: Grand Illusion (1937)

It's too bad because I think he made mostly good picks.
That IS a pretty solid list of recommendations and would have been curious to see everyone's reactions to their films. For myself, The Searchers have been on my radar, not so much a Must See! but definitely a curiosity.

Billy Wilder comedies are always interesting: The dialogue isn't like a traditional comedy, it's more like the characters all act in a lighthearted fun manner, even the bad guys to an extent.
This film is structured in an interesting way: While yes the film is about prisoners trying to find an informant, these pivotal plot scenes take place during long scenes of the prisoners finding ways to entertain themselves in isolation. It is inspiring in a way, to see people fighting for their rights still have their spirits high even during troubling times.

Despite the main plot being focused on mainly 5 characters, there's a wide array of supporting characters that build the world of the film. Robert Strauss and Harvey Lembeck were my favourites; Almost a Timon and Pumbaa pair of friends who are always up to mischief. The character of Joey might be the most interesting character in the entire film, despite the fact he has only 5 minutes of screen time and doesn't affect the plot in any way. It is heartbreaking to see a fine young man have his mind destroyed by war. William Holden's character is also very interesting; He is trying to do something for the greater good yet he is also very selfish and not exactly the good guy in this story.

Very good film

This was my nomination for you Hash. Had my fingers crossed you'd enjoy it with a suspicion you would.
"Animal" and Shapiro were always my favorites, growing up, and as I got older, my appreciation of Holden's character grew.
Wilder did an excellent job of mixing comedic elements in a dramatic setting while adding a Mystery of who the "mole" was and how he operated, quite impressively. It's a helluva juggling act for an writer/director.

House of Games

Mike: It's called a confidence game. Why? Because you give me your confidence? No. Because I give you mine.

With unknown gems that were right up my alley to Must See!'s I've been wanting to check out, it has been an absolute treat watching the films recommended to me. And with a premise of a confidence man drawing a woman psychiatrist into his world of "grifting" got my interest, instantly. Add to that, the lead man is Joe Mantegna whom I haven't seen since the 90's and exudes such a great Brooklyn charm ramped it up even more.
As I watched I discovered that the accomplished "sleight of hand" artist and knowledgeable confidence man, Ricky Jay, whom I loved from Deadwood as Eddie Sawyer was ALSO in this---

My interest and excitement grew more and more!

Perhaps, too much.

The film plays out like an introduction lesson into The Scam Artist. A trick is explained and then repeated to see if you can catch the "trick". A common enough thing with "sleight of hand" where it's explained; here's the item, here's how I hide it and now, I'll do it again and STILL astound you.
Well, they did the first part and followed up with a repeat, but the astounding, never came. Or rather, a twist was thrown in that seemed ill-fitted to the story of cons and scams. And instead, it was the act of a petulant, slighted spectator.
WARNING: "In short," spoilers below
the confidence man, having shown the trick and then, again, pulling the trick, gets shot dead by the psychiatrist. And she, allegedly, was this troubled soul who was upset she couldn't help her patients. So, she kills the man that cons her?!
And not with one shot, but pretty much empties her gun on him with an unfounded cold indifference that my initial pleasure spiraled into disgust.

In fact, the whole final act, with a truly horrible, lazy writing of how she discovers she's been conned made me aggravated at the impossibility of such a stupidly obvious mistake, I was still willing to wait to see how they'd play it all out. Only to be disappointed even further.
I think the final straw of the horrible ending was this advice by her mentor/friend that the lead character takes to heart and uses it to, not only justify her actions, but be utterly pleased with herself: Dr. Littauer: When you have done something unforgivable, I'll tell you exactly what to do. You forgive yourself.

So. . . what? Go ahead and rape, murder, kick an elderly lady down a flight a stairs, boot a baby out the window of a skyscraper. . . it's okay. Just forgive yourself and have a wonderful day.
Seriously? That's the advice of a learned scholar? And accepted and followed through BY a fellow learned scholar? F@ck the victims. Screw 'em. You did something unforgivable? It's okay. Forgive yourself. You deserve the happiness that it'll bring.

F@ck you.

To whomever nominated this, my apologies. It should have been, could have been; and my own excitement for where it could have gone to and didn't, resulted into a rant that I cannot hold back or remain silent on. The best I was able to do was keep it very short.
So, I am happy to see Ricky Jay in an early role and a revisit to an actor I enjoyed in the 80s and 90s. For what that's worth.

@cricket

So is the person who nominated Das Boot for me still in this, I don't really want to watch something that long if the person looks like they aren't going to finish