Fires in California

Tools    

I just want to say to all the people in California, people here in Australia are thinking of you at this terrible time with bush fires raging out of control, destroying homes and lives.

The Mayor of Santiago was on the radio this morning and many houses have been destroyed there, He also said that the smoke is very thick and they have advised people to stay home from work, to reduce damage to peoples lungs.

I know what people must be feeling at this time as the fires came right up to my house last year, I am one of the lucky ones who still has a house.

It can be a devastating to loose your house and the memories of your life, our thoughts are with you all.

This is a time for people to take care of each other and ban together to get through this crises.

Love to all

My life isn't written very well.
Thanks Nebbie! Yeah the fires are bad here. Although I'm safe because I live right near the beach--there isn't much brush here. But, the smoke from the fires to the north is dropping ash EVERYWHERE! I just went out to go shopping, and nothing's open! Mind you, I live in San Diego--a pretty big city! The skies are so thick with soot that I could actually look right at the sun (it appears as a bright neon orange ball) and see the sun spots! There are so many people with face masks on, it looks like I've landed in Asia during a SARS scare. One final thing, the fires are bad, they were worse yesterday, but the media in their truest form is hyping this up big time. In fact they began to use yesterday's[with a text graphic that says "earlier" or "recorded earlier" super-imposed over the video] footage of huge firewalls in some of todays broadcasts ( I guess todays b-roll isn't exciting enough). Today, in San Diego, the danger has been reduced to medium sized hot-spots.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Today, in San Diego, the danger has been reduced to medium sized hot-spots.
They just said on the News here that 1,000 homes have burnt down, and that there are 7 fires burning now, and 40,000 people have been evacuated. It sounds as if it is really bad.

I am glad that you are close to the beach and will be alright.

ya thanks its good to know people care. they sky are so dark over here. thanks for saying that though

Originally Posted by BlackQueen
ya thanks its good to know people care. they sky are so dark over here. thanks for saying that though
No probs, take care of yourself.

Any updates on this? I heard on the news these fires are spreading... You guys stay safe...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

BANNED
From what I could make out in the news, it looks pretty bad, but it seems that some rain might be on the way to help the situation. The skies look pretty overcast over LA today and, apparently, there has been some drizzling rain near the fire sites!

If you want to help the situation, pray for rain in Southern California!

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Django
From what I could make out in the news, it looks pretty bad, but it seems that some rain might be on the way to help the situation. The skies look pretty overcast over LA today and, apparently, there has been some drizzling rain near the fire sites!

If you want to help the situation, pray for rain in Southern California!
A lot of rain would cause mudslides, especially with so much vegetation burned off. It would be nice to clean the air and help put out some of the fires, but could leave that many more people stranded if their houses slid they way they do when it rains a lot here.

I'm kinda glad I can't afford real estate, lately.

BANNED
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
A lot of rain would cause mudslides, especially with so much vegetation burned off. It would be nice to clean the air and help put out some of the fires, but could leave that many more people stranded if their houses slid they way they do when it rains a lot here.

I'm kinda glad I can't afford real estate, lately.
Well, then, pray for enough rain to put out the fires, but not enough to cause mudslides!

I agree about real estate, though. It must be terrible suddenly to lose one's home and possessions to a natural disaster!

Originally Posted by Django
Well, then, pray for enough rain to put out the fires, but not enough to cause mudslides!

I agree about real estate, though. It must be terrible suddenly to lose one's home and possessions to a natural disaster!
It hasn't happened to me (knock on wood), but I have helped friends sift through rubble and ash after their home burned down. It's incredibly sad. In the case of these fires, I'd imagine it's not going to fully hit them until they can arrange for permanent housing and have clothing. [/Little Mary Sunshine]

BANNED
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
It hasn't happened to me (knock on wood), but I have helped friends sift through rubble and ash after their home burned down. It's incredibly sad. In the case of these fires, I'd imagine it's not going to fully hit them until they can arrange for permanent housing and have clothing. [/Little Mary Sunshine]
I can only imagine how awful it must be!

I have a client who owned a house with his brother, they also had 2 boats 5 motor bikes and the whole lot was lost in the Aussie fires last summer, they have only last week poured the cement slab to rebuild, it has been devistating for them both, they had only bought the house 3 weeks before it burnt down.

We are watching the fires very closely here as our bushfire season starts now.

There is a fire burning near Newcastle in NSW, started but some idiot who dunped a car and burnt it out, many houses are threatened.

Originally Posted by nebbit
...There is a fire burning near Newcastle in NSW, started but some idiot who dunped a car and burnt it out, many houses are threatened.
Good luck with it. I hope your season is uneventful, aside from stringing up the dope who started that fire, of course.

all Australians are thinking of everyone in California...unfortunately, we are too accustomed to the devastation of large fires...for those of you who have never experienced it, it is the most frightening thing!! the sound alone is SO scary...it makes you feel so small and fragile as a human being...peace to you all

BANNED
The good news that it has been raining here in So. Cal.! God must have listened to our prayers! The weatherman predicts a 50% chance of thunderstorms this weekend and it has been cold, overcast and sometimes drizzly for the last couple of days. Definitely good weather for fire-fighting! Let's hope this keeps up until the fires are out! Best wishes to the heroic firefighters out there working overtime to put out the flames!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/983543.asp?vts=103120031745

BANNED
Who says God doesn't answer prayer?

It has been raining steadily in LA all night long! Let's hope it's enough to put out the wildfires!

Great to hear that things are settling down there.

I found myself nearly in tears seeing the images of peoples burnt homes, some people weren't even able to take anything photo's or sentimental things.

love to them all, I know what it is like to be in a disaster, but I was able to get out with my photo's, I feel lucky.

BANNED
Evacuees Survey Fires' Wrath

BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif., Nov. 3, 2003

(CBS/AP) After days of devastation, California firefighters — aided by cooler, calmer weather — over the weekend began getting the upper hand on most of the dozen wildfires that have scorched the state.

By early Monday, the Old fire was 78 percent contained after racing across more than 91,000 acres in and near the San Bernardino National Forest. A nearby blaze was 95 percent contained.

In San Diego County, the 281,000-acre Cedar fire — the largest individual blaze in California history — was 90 percent contained.

Other large blazes included a fire in San Diego County, which was 75 percent contained; and a Ventura County blaze that was 80 percent contained. A fire in Simi Valley was fully contained.

As the flames receded, evacuees returned to their homes, or what was left of them.

The huge blazes that have killed 20 people, destroyed more than 3,400 homes and scorched more than 750,000 acres since igniting around Southern California nearly two weeks ago.

Diana and Larry Thornton were among the homeowners returning on Sunday. They had worked for years for their retirement dream home, a 2,400-square-foot getaway nestled in the San Bernardino Mountains. It took just hours for that house and all those years of hard work to go up in flames.

The Thorntons' home was one of more than 850 destroyed by the Old fire wildfire that burned.

"Everything we've worked for 37 years is gone," said Diana Thornton, who lived in Cedarpines Park, one of many mountain communities ravaged by the flames.

"This was our retirement dream house," said Larry Thornton, a former Navy seal and Vietnam veteran. "All the stuff I went through in Vietnam, and I came back OK from that…this is just about as devastating."

One of their neighbors, Kim Thurman, returned to find nothing left of the turn-of-the-century cabin she had lived in for 22 years but ashes and charred wood.

"I have cried and cried. I go through periods of incredible optimism and so much sadness that it goes right down and it hurts my toenails," said Thurman, 55.

"These are just things. I have all these memories in my heart," she added as she dug through the rubble with her leather-gloved hands. She managed to save some gardening tools hanging from a fence and discovered four ceramic squirrels her mother gave her.

"Your identity, your security, your safety, it's all your home, and when it's gone … " Thurman said, trailing off.

She paused, swallowed hard and shook her head: "All of a sudden, nothing feels real."

Irene Franklin, of Crestline, was one of the lucky ones; her home was unscathed.

"You get so depressed down the hill, watching it on TV," she said. "You're worried your house will be burned down, but at the same time you realize people are losing their lives. A house can be rebuilt."

Residents were allowed back into all communities except Twin Peaks, Blue Jay, Rim Forest, Sky Forest, Lake Arrowhead, Cedar Glen, Running Springs, Arrowbear and Green Valley.

Those towns remained off-limits because of concerns about mudslides, falling rocks and trees, and damage to Highway 18, the area's major thoroughfare. A firefighter was injured Sunday when a tree fell on him along Highway 18 near Crestline, said Richard Wisehart, a U.S. Forest Service fire information officer. He was reported in stable condition at a local hospital.

Meanwhile, an unlikely bunch of heroes is getting some of the credit for beating back the brushfires.

More than half of the state's 3,800 full-time wildland firefighters are prison inmates earning $1 an hour as they work off sentences for nonviolent crimes such as theft and drug possession. About 2,150 offenders — either minimum security wards of the California Youth Authority or adults sentenced to the California Department of Corrections — have been out battling the flames.

"We wouldn't be half the fire department we are now without them," said Karen Terrill, forestry department spokeswoman. "I could tell you stories that would bring tears to your eyes."

The convicts usually are out of sight — as they were Sunday, laying more than a mile of hose, cutting fire lines and grubbing stubborn pockets of flame with shovels, rakes, pickaxes and hoes.

On the day the fire in San Bernadino County flared into a wind-whipped monster, however, residents there caught a rare glimpse of the prisoners in the unusual role of trying to protect houses.

The inmate crews are neither trained nor equipped for fighting house fires. But a 28-inmate strike team happened to be one of the first to arrive. They grabbed garden hoses and borrowed chain saws from homeowners. Burglars and thieves risked their lives to rescue prized possessions from doomed homes.

"The ceilings and light fixtures were coming down around us. You're wondering if you'll have to go out a window" to escape, said Greg Welch, 34, serving seven years for selling drugs. "It was chaos."