Drive-inns

Tools    

do you guys have drive-inns where you live??

there's one drive-inn theatre in the Sydney area and its only 20mins from my house....its definately my preferred movie going experience...i love it

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by n7of9

there's one drive-inn theatre in the Sydney area and its only 20mins from my house....its definately my preferred movie going experience...i love it
Are you saying that you actually watch the movie when you go to a drive-in theater? They have all but disappeared in the U.S., but Kong assures you that here, the experience you get from a drive-in has nothing to do with whatever movie they're playing.

Yeah, unless you're a kid, Drive-Ins are about fogging up the windows, handjobs and oral sex. Aaaaah, memories.

There are still two Drive-In Theaters in the Baltimore area. One of them is called Bengies, and if you click on the picture below it'll take you to their website. The other Drive-In is the Bel Air, near Churchville, MD.

I've only been there a couple times. Favorite recent memory: as part of the Maryland Film Festival a few years ago, John Waters presented a double feature of movies by Brazilian spaltter/sexploitation king Jose Mojica Marins, aka "Coffin Joe". Coffin Joe was there, and rolled up in a casket in a hearse! Terrific stuff. Herschell Gordon Lewis, the true master of gore, and also a part of that MD Film Festival, was there with John Waters too. I'm truly not much of a Horror guy, but that was a fun night. Didn't think much of the movies (can't even remember which two they were), but fun was had by all. Not fogging the windows fun, but still.

The Drive-In I went to most as a kid and teenager was The Westview, in Catonsville, MD - which of course is no longer there. There was a huge hardtop theater there as well (eventually expanded to 12 screens), on the hill above the Drive-In. That's where most of my favorite early cinematic memories were born: Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Conan the Barbarian, etc. I can still smell the popcorn. I do miss that place. It closed in '94 I believe. The Drive-In had closed about '89. There's a Circuit City where the theater was, and a Home Depot where the Drive-In stood. Sad.

You can actually get a glimpse of the old Westview Drive-In and theater in Barry Levinson's Tin Men (1987) - the funniest of his four "Baltimore" pictures. In the scene where the Dreyfuss and DeVito characters leave the restaurant to fight in the parking lot, THAT is the old Westview Drive-In in the background. The building they come out of that is supposed to be the exterior of the restaurant (and another wing made up as a coffee shop), THAT is the Westview Theater. Aaaaah, memories.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Holden Pike
I've only been there a couple times. Favorite recent memory: as part of the Maryland Film Festival a few years ago, John Waters presented a double feature of movies by Brazilian spaltter/sexploitation king Jose Mojica Marins, aka "Coffin Joe". Coffin Joe was there, and rolled up in a casket in a hearse! Terrific stuff. Herschell Gordon Lewis, the true master of gore, and also a part of that MD Film Festival, was there with John Waters too. I'm truly not much of a Horror guy, but that was a fun night. Didn't think much of the movies (can't even remember which two they were), but fun was had by all. Not fogging the windows fun, but still.

If John Waters is doing anything else soon in Baltimore, let me know!

There are none left in Oregon. Last time I went to a drive-in was when I was 14 or 15, and I saw a double feature; Ghostbusters and The Karate Kid. I miss those days...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Sexy C, you just missed this year's Maryland Film Festival (May 1st to 4th). Waters has attended every year. Levinson makes it back for most of 'em too. I believe Waters officially presented Irreversable this time, the controvesial French film. But he's always hanging around and very accessible. I see him all over town, Festival or not.

I didn't have time to attend any of the MD Film Fest this year. Oh, well.

By the by, they had another double feature at Bengies for the Festival this time: double shot of The King, with Clambake and Follow That Dream.

Bal'mer is one weird town, that's fer sure.

Someone help me.... I'm gritting my teeth down to almost nothing. I'm gonna look like Anna Nicole Smith's cousin.

I missed seeing John Waters by a week.......

The Adventure Starts Here!
There are a few left around here. The one we go to has three screens. It never fails, though, that it's either 95 with 95% humidity or it's a torrential downpour whenever we go.

One of the screens at this drive-in still uses the speakers attached to poles -- that you hang on your car window. All other drive-ins around here now use radio frequencies and you have to leave your car running or hope your car battery can withstand four hours of running the radio. Or, if your reception is REALLY crappy, you can bring along a boom box and tune that in to the right channel.

In any case, we like to pack a cooler with our favorite foods and cold drinks, bring blankets and camping chairs, and set up housekeeping in a good spot. (By "we" I obviously mean me and the kids. If I meant me and my husband, the activity list would have looked a tad different. A-hem!)

Linda

there's one drive-inn theater in the Sydney area and its only 20mins from my house....its definitely my preferred movie going experience...i love it
Wow I thought they had all gone!

I did like the old Drive-in's when I lived in Darwin everyone brought chairs and sat outside their cars, with the old eskey, people would talk to each other and have a great time. Far to hot even in Winter to sit inside the car.

This has nothing to do with the thread, n7of9 hey I did it! what do you think?

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
We still have them up here in PA, $5 bucks for two movies, sometimes three.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Drive-ins own. You get to watch other people makeout and freaky stuff... this is the true entertainment people come for.
You might see us floating by-i--i

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
There were three drive-ins in my area as a kid. One in Turlock, one in Merced, and one in Ceres (all in the central valley of California near Modesto). Today, the one in Ceres is still operating. I haven't been since I went to see Look Who's Talking, Too, but it's right next to the freeway, so I see it playing movies all the time.

On Saturdays and Sundays it plays host to the flea market.

I have fond memories of going to the drive-in during my high school and college years
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

[quote]Originally posted by Mark
I have fond memories of going to the drive-in during my high school and college years [/b][/QUOTE

OK so tell us were you really watching the movie........s

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
This is a family oriented forum. I can't tell you here