Johnny Depp VS Kevin Bacon

Tools    

lol,jonny depp without dubt

As somebody said earlier, they are very similar actors so I would answer this by considering whether they could play each others roles &, if so, how effectively?? Bacon, I believe, could play Jack Sparrow, The Mad Hatter, Edward Scissorhands & Ed Wood to name but a few. Not sure, however, if I could see Johnny Depp playing a paedophile, a sadistic and abusive prison guard, a father who sees ghosts, or a nervous expectant father.

I may be slightly biased as Bacon is my favourite actor. I think Depp will probably be the most popular choice here but because he appears in, not only far more movies, but in far more commercial movies and he has carved a niche for himself as an expert at playing whackos. With Bacon, however, there is far more range because he is not a "niche" actor - ie: you cannot categorise him which, in this case, is a good thing. He also does not play the "Hollywood Game" like Depp which is probably the reason this great actor has yet to be considered for an Academy Award.

To conclude, I do respect Depp as a great actor of his generation...but give me Bacon any day of the week!

Both are good i like johnny depp

As somebody said earlier, they are very similar actors so I would answer this by considering whether they could play each others roles &, if so, how effectively?? Bacon, I believe, could play Jack Sparrow, The Mad Hatter, Edward Scissorhands & Ed Wood to name but a few. Not sure, however, if I could see Johnny Depp playing a paedophile, a sadistic and abusive prison guard, a father who sees ghosts, or a nervous expectant father.
Absolutely. Which is why I think Bacon has the edge. He can play all of Depp's roles and play it effectively, could Depp do the same with Bacon's roles, however? We saw what he was able to do when he played the bad guy in The Astronaut's Wife. Bacon would've nailed that role and probably saved the film a bit as he can be seriously creepy when needed. On the flip side, though, Bacon can also play a charming and loveable good guy with ease just as he did in Tremors.

Just watched The River Wild for the first time in about 15 years and was still as impressed with Bacon's menacing turn turn as the psychotic criminal as I was when I first saw it. The question which sprung to mind though was: "Could Johnny Depp have pulled off that role even half as convincingly?" I must say, I don't reckon so.

(Interesting coincidence: This was John C. Reilly's follow up movie to What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I wonder what he made of the two actors in question??)

Depp has been ruined by Burton and Disney but i'm not sure the diversity of his roles is such an issue as Depp has played roles that aren't just kooky oddballs. But even considering Dead Man, Donnie Brasco, Fear and Loathing etc, before he sold his soul- I don't tend to remember the films for his performances. Bacon on the other hand, rises above the material more consistently- Hollow Man, Tremors, X-Men- he plays characters that remember HE played. Tough choice, Depp tends to nail his characters in a less noticeable way (i'm ignoring post-Pirates roles) but Bacon is more charismatic in the low key roles.

Yeah, I remember that film. That was a great thriller. I also like his performance in Murder In The First.

Depp has been ruined by Burton and Disney but i'm not sure the diversity of his roles is such an issue as Depp has played roles that aren't just kooky oddballs. But even considering Dead Man, Donnie Brasco, Fear and Loathing etc, before he sold his soul- I don't tend to remember the films for his performances. Bacon on the other hand, rises above the material more consistently- Hollow Man, Tremors, X-Men- he plays characters that remember HE played. Tough choice, Depp tends to nail his characters in a less noticeable way (i'm ignoring post-Pirates roles) but Bacon is more charismatic in the low key roles.
CHARISMA!

Thanks Pyro! That's the word I've been trying to put my finger on re: Bacon...he oozes the stuff no matter what role he's playing. Take The River Wild for example. If you had no idea what the film was about, you just warm to his character at the beginning of the movie. As it progresses and his real motives begin to come out (like when he asks 'Roarke' to keep a secret), its intriguing to watch him almost turn on a sixpence between the two 'Wades'. Then when all has been revealed, you almost cannot believe that this is the same guy. So, like Depp, Bacon too, is chameleon-like but, as you said in a less noticble way...and it is this subtlety which makes me tick his box rather than Depp's.

PS: where is the poll for this thread?? I'm sure, if there was one, it would be one close run thing.

Prestige - don't even get me started on Murder In The First...I'm STILL to this day searching for his (obviously) "lost" invitation to the Oscar Nominees Lunch....!

Has Bacon ever been nominated for an Oscar? And yes, charisma would be the right word.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nope, Bacon has not received an Oscar nomination. I admit that I don't especially care for Mystic River, but Bacon probably gave the best performance of the three leads and was the only one who didn't get an Oscar statue, let alone a nom.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
No, Bacon has never been nominated for an Oscar.

He did get nominated for a SaG for Murder in the First. Ed Harris won for Apllo 13.

being married to Kyra Sedwick is a fine consolation prize though.

Originally Posted by The Prestige
Has Bacon ever been nominated for an Oscar?
Unfortunately (and amazingly) not.

Bacon shines in the majority of his work, no matter how small the part (see JFK) but how he failed to muster a nomination from at least one of the following: Murder In The First, Sleepers, Mystic River and The Woodsman is totally beyond me.

Thinking about it, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the release of MITF was changed at the last moment which served to totally scupper what would surely have been a well-deserved nomination for Bacon. I will try and dig that article out. In the meantime, here is how Bacon himself feels about his lack of Oscar attention:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...-by-oscar-snub

Johnny Depp

Semper Fooey
He did get nominated for a SaG for Murder in the First. Ed Harris won for Apllo 13.

being married to Kyra Sedwick is a fine consolation prize though.

Not lately.

I definitely prefer Johnny Depp, though I've only seen Kevin Bacon in one movie.