4. Monty Python's Holy Grail
5. Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls
6. Monty Python's Life of Brian
7. Naked Gun
8. Swingers
9. Billy Madison
10. Meet the Parents

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
You put movies like Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Naked Gun and Swingers in the same list with Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber!?

Shop around a little bit, there are PLENTY more movies out there that are funny without being stupid and obnoxious.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by spudracer
You put movies like Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Naked Gun and Swingers in the same list with Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber!?

Shop around a little bit, there are PLENTY more movies out there that are funny without being stupid and obnoxious.
I like Naked Gun, but you don't think it is as stupid and obnoxious as Ace Ventura? Not that this scene offends me at all, but what in Ace Ventura would bother more people than the whole stone penis thing in Naked Gun?

1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964 - Stanley Kubrick)
"I think you're some kind of deviated pre-vert. I think General Ripper found out about your pre-version, and that you organized some kind of mutiny of pre-verts. Now move."

2. Young Frankenstein (1974 - Mel Brooks)
"Sed-A-Give?!?"

3. Duck Soup (1933 - Leo McCarey)
"Maybe you can suggest something? As a matter of fact, you do suggest something: you suggest a baboon. I'm sorry I said that, it isn't fair to the other baboons."

4. His Girl Friday (1940 - Howard Hawks)
"Walter, you're wonderful, in a laothsome sort of way."

5. One, Two, Three (1961 - Billy Wilder)
"When he's eighteen he can make up his own mind, whether he wants to a Capitalist or a rich Communist."

6. After Hours (1985 - Marty Scorsese)
"Mohawk this guy!"

7. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979 - Terry Jones)
"Right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, WHAT have the Romans ever done for us?"

8. Airplane! (1980 - Zucker, Abrahams & Zucker)
"And that started my drinking problem."

9. Rushmore (1998 - Wes Anderson)
"Oh, are they?"

10. Modern Romance (1981 - Albert Brooks)
"The ludes kicked in, right?"

And on and on and on....
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Whoa. I like your signiture from Carlito's way, Holden. Good stuff.
*sigh* We've done a thread like this.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
We've done a thread like this.
Does this mean we all have to go and read the old thread and post there?

I believe there was only one other thread that asked for favorite comedies of all-time, HERE. But as it only had a small number of replies anyway, I didn't bother linking to it. That's why I chose to give a heads-up on the '80s and '90s lists instead.

ANYway...

I like to watch...
Raising Arizona and Fargo...the Coens at their finest. Both bloody hilarious.

Pulp Fiction...a script of gems.

The Party - Blake Edwards and Peter Sellers 60's shtick and sight gags as yet unrivalled.

"I can't help it..."
ORGAZMO (Trey Parker version, not the foreign thriller... duh)

CANNIBAL: THE MUSICAL!

BASEKETBALL

FLODDERS (The Netherlands)

SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER & UNCUT

AUSTIN POWERS: THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME

BILLY MADISON

LIAR LIAR

DOGMA

JAY & SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK

Here's 10 films That I fall down laughing, cried, couldn't breath properly and all the other things.

In No Particular Order

I'm going to use Holden's format

The Hidden Fortress (1958 -Akira Kurosawa)

Young Frankenstein(1974 - Mel Brooks)
Inga: Werewolf!
Dr. Friedrich von Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There. There wolf.

The Pink Panther
(1963 - Blake Edwards)
[At a costume ball, a police sergeant costumed as a zebra drinks from the punch bowl]
Inspector Jacques Clouseau: Any more behaviour like this and I'll have your stripes!

The In-Laws
(1979 - Arthur Hiller)
Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!

Broadway Danny Rose
(1984 - Woody Allen)
Danny Rose: I need a valium the size of a hockey puck.

49th Parallel
Andy Brock: The government says, "We want men to fight the Nazis, join today." So I joined. I figured they were in a hurry. That was three hundred and eighty seven days ago. Four divisions and a lot of drafts have gone overseas, and what's number B987642 doing? Guarding the Chippewa Canal. Who'd want to steal it anyway?

Catch-22
Yossarian: Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying.

The Trouble With Harry
[Referring to Harry Worp]
Jennifer Rogers: He looked exactly the same when he was alive, only he was vertical.

Mister Roberts
Ensign Pulver: Captain, it is I, Ensign Pulver, and I want you to know that I just threw your stinkin' palm tree overboard. Now what's all this crud about no movie tonight?

O Brother Art Thou
Damn! We're in a tight spot!

And as Holden Says....
And on and on and on....

Here's the list from the wizened soul's at E! television's "Rank" program...

1. Airplane!
2. National Lampoon's Vacation
3. There's Something About Mary
4. Blazing Saddles
5. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
6. Caddyshack
7. Beverly Hills Cop
8. National Lampoon's Animal House
9. This Is Spinal Tap
10. The Naked Gun: from the files of Police Squad!
11. Monty Python & the Holy Grail
12. Bananas
13. Dumb & Dumber
14. The Jerk
15. Happy Gilmore
16. Lost in America
17. Waiting for Guffman
18. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
19. Young Frankenstein
20. Meet the Parents

And from the American Film Institute...

1. Some Like it Hot
2. Tootsie
3. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
4. Annie Hall
5. Duck Soup
6. Blazing Saddles
7. M*A*S*H
8. It Happened One Night
9. The Graduate
10. Airplane!

Just another couple perspectives for y'all, to see if we can stimulate discussion and get a few more members here to offer up their own lists.

I'm just glad that E!'s managed to acknowledge a wide variety of films with its list, though theirs is not without outrageous fault. Some Like It Hot ought to at least be in the Top 20, for crying out loud. On a related note, I'm thrilled with the fact that There's Something About Mary actually got some recognition (it was ranked 27th, in case you were wondering) from the American Film Institute despite its, well, extreme grossness.

Okay. These are pretty much in the order that they came to mind, and do not indicate any sort of ranking unless you want to delve deeply into the fact that one came to mind before the other, and you probably shouldn't do that.

I also cheated a bit on the Blazing Saddles/Young Frankenstein, but I don't really care. I couldn't put one on the list without the other, and it didn't seem right, in my twisted mind, to allot two places for Mr. Brooks when I only have ten available to me.

Raising Arizona
"Well, no. Unless 'round' is funny."

Arsenic and Old Lace
"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops!"

Clerks
"This job'd be great if it weren't for the f*cking customers."

Waiting for Guffman
"I hate you, and I hate your ass face!"

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
"And what else floats?"
"Wood!"
"And very small rocks!"

Rushmore
"Would you like me to pass the creamer, dog?"

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein (my two favorite Brooks films--I could not choose between them)
"What in the wide, wide world of sports is goin' on here?"

"Hello, handsome!"

The Jerk
"You mean I'm gonna stay this color?!"

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity! Two weeks from everywhere!"

Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
"'Feed me,' you said, and I was feeding you, Jack..."

I left out Cannibal: The Musical! and Orgazmo, two of my favorites, mostly because they and my preference for them are linked to a certain group of friends and a certain time in my life. They're both great movies and hilarious as sh*t, but they don't really belong on my greatest comedies of all time list.

And now, after much waffling and explaining, I will quit.

Now With Moveable Parts
I might be really old school, but I love all the Marx Bros. movies and I laugh too damn hard when I watch It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, my cheeks always hurt.

I think Steve Martin is my favorite comedian. Parenthood, The Jerk, Father of the Bride, Bowfinger are all top comedies in my book.

I love Chevy Chase, Rick Moranis, Bill Murray and Martin Short as well....I grew up on their movies.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
I think Steve Martin is my favorite comedian. Parenthood, The Jerk, Father of the Bride, Bowfinger are all top comedies in my book.
Absolutely. Parenthood, especially, is great.

crazed out movie freak
Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

Absolutely. Parenthood, especially, is great.
That movie was funny.

" Do you wanna throw up?"
"ok"

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
The movies that i found to make me would have to be:
Meet the parents
Austin Powers (1 and 2)
Zoolander
Night at the Roxbury
Tomcats
Saving Silverman
Robin Williams Comedy Sketch(his new one that just came out july 14)
leathal weapon 1-4
national lampoons - pretty much all of them
not another teen movie
scary movie
american pie 1 and 2
corky romano
office space

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

1.) THE PEST
2.) AMERICAN PIE 1 & 2
3.) AIRPLANE
4.) SAVING SILVERMAN