Worst "Surprise" Ending

Tools    

After reading the best surprise ending thread this one came to mind.

The worst in my mind was Soul Survivors.

I didnt even know there was meant to be a twist, as I did with Sixth Sense, but i still thought, "Hang on a minute" and guessed what it was, and it wasnt that good either! Now thats poor writing.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Planet of the Apes (2001)
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
The Others.

Definitely Boxing Helena (1993), or any other piece of crap that cops-out with a tacked-on "but it was all just a dream" ending. As horrible as that movie was, the ending made it that much worse. I mean, at least have the courage of your ridiculous convictions.

Awful fu*kin' movie.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Aside from agreeing with Spudly to a disturbing extent, I'll nominate A.I.: Artifical Intelligence, for not only having a crappy ending, but, just as bad, having a crappy ending when it didn't need it at all. It could've, with a few key snips, have been TRULY amazing. Instead, it felt it needed everything all wrapped up like that, and it just dragged. Tried to do too much at the end, and fell on its face, IMO.

Swordfish is another one that comes to mind..

Was going to say The Devil's Advocate, but that one really did surprise me the first time I watched it.

You know those actions movies that have stupid twists? Like, oh my God it was the police cheif! I hate those.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Aside from agreeing with Spudly to a disturbing extent, I'll nominate A.I.: Artifical Intelligence, for not only having a crappy ending, but, just as bad, having a crappy ending when it didn't need it at all. It could've, with a few key snips, have been TRULY amazing. Instead, it felt it needed everything all wrapped up like that, and it just dragged. Tried to do too much at the end, and fell on its face, IMO.
Pfft.

I nominate The Usual Suspects. Oh, and I liked Planet of the Apes' ending.

Rock God
i'm so pissed at steve for nominating the usual suspects. WORST? try coolest...... freakin a.

worst would be "enemy at the gates". that movie's ending wasn't even supposed to be a surprise, but it was SOOO weak. it should be on a razz list somewhere. remember?

WARNING: "Enemy at the Gates" spoilers below
ed harris walked out, got shot....... and that was IT?

man, talk about anti-climactic. crap, that was lame! in fact, most of that movie is lame. is it possible to have a boring sex scene? in "enemy at the gates" it is.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I actually preferred A.I.'s real ending

Originally posted by Marcellus
I actually preferred A.I.'s real ending
What real ending?

I thought the ending of Planet of the Apes at least spiced up what is the only soulless movie in Tim Burton's canon. It didn't wrap anything up, it doesn't make any sense, but it satisfied me to see something, anything that was a surprise in that movie. So, yeah, I guess I can like movies that make no logical sense.

Re The Usual Suspects: Coolest? Try, the BIGGEST COP-OUT IN ANY MOVIE, EVER!

Cop-out? And POTA, which you admit makes no sense, is not a cop-out? It's a much bigger cop-out when it makes no sense at all. Admittedly, The Usual Suspects stretched a little...but not a ton. It wasn't a perfect fit, but it was a good one anyway, and, just as importantly, it was executed very well. The reaction, the voiceover during the flashbacks. The last shot of the movie. Brilliant stuff, my man.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Cop-out? And POTA, which you admit makes no sense, is not a cop-out? It's a much bigger cop-out when it makes no sense at all. Admittedly, The Usual Suspects stretched a little...but not a ton. It wasn't a perfect fit, but it was a good one anyway, and, just as importantly, it was executed very well. The reaction, the voiceover during the flashbacks. The last shot of the movie. Brilliant stuff, my man.
No, POTA is a huge cop-out. But at least it spiced things up.

About The Usual Suspects - it was well executed, and I'm sure it looked great on paper, but the way the first 2/3 plays out made it difficult for me to accept such an out-of-left field ending. I still, to this day, don't know anything about what happens in that movie except what the ending makes clear. I think it's cheating to lead an audience on in such a way that, nothing they've been paying attention to for the past 2 hours has been real. (There's a contradiction there in my feelings for Vanilla Sky - but I think Cameron Crowe's love and gratitude and humanism shines through and I don't notice it.)

Don't get me wrong - on a primal level, I liked the ending of The Usual Suspects. It spices things up like POTA's does. But that's all it does. It is, essentially, a movie about pulling out the carpet from under the audience. Henceforth, cheating.

Well...

WARNING: "The Usual Suspects" spoilers below
That's partially true. The detective, however (Kujan? Is that the spelling?), obviously guessed a lot of what was going on. Soze was indeed setting it all up so that he could kill the guy himself. The details are somewhat in doubt, but we got the basic idea of what happened.

And yeah, I was gonna say the same thing about Vanilla Sky, but I know that sometimes endings that you'd hate otherwise just don't bother you, for some other unrelated reason, so I'm not gonna nitpick that. Though I agree that the end of TUS did force-fit things a little bit.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Originally posted by Steve

What real ending?

Real ending as in the one it ended with.

Not the way people say it should've ended.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
I have to agree with Steve on Planet of the apes.

At least it's "ughh what is this is sh*t" rather than "HELP HELP I'M GOING TO KILL SOMEONE THIS IS SO BAD AND HAS TORTURED ME FOR TOO F'KING LONG!"

Wild Things had the added "showing you what really happened" clips which couldn't have logically happened at any point in time.

Don't think I cared much though

Rock God
oops. sorry about forgetting the spoiler warning thingy. thanks for adding it.

Originally posted by Fez Wizardo
Wild Things had the added "showing you what really happened" clips which couldn't have logically happened at any point in time. Don't think I cared much though
Yeah, we all know the scene that keeps guys coming back for more.