Based On A True Story

Tools    

More documentary then based on true story... but it was still amazing... The Last Waltz

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
[b]Thmilin -

There's a time and place for everything, and surely the internet amongst a bunch of people who profess a love of the cinema, this is not where one should be talking about film in detail.
Holden,
Maybe Anal-Movie-Watchers-Boards-For-Lurkers-&-Loners, would be more appropriate?

What was that movie with Ewan McGregor and the coal miners that created a band? That was a great movie. Noises Off? Something, "Off".

Brassed Off is the McGregor coal mining band flick. Noises Off is a play and movie about on and off stage hijinxs during a theatre production. Michael Caine, Carol Burnett, Christopher Reeve and John Ritter co-starred in the movie version.

Look at all those useless, anal details.

Bonnie & Clyde (1967) !
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Brassed Off, yes that's it; and shucks...you bit this time.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yup.

Ah, good. We understand each other this time.

Dead Man Walking. That WAS based on a true story, right?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Ooh, talented of you, Holden, to sidestep my point about adding venom to all those useless details and turn it on its head - bravo! So very smart, you are. Mmm, talented, too, to just edit your last post about my insight. What a yummy little class pet you are!

Or maybe not. The details in and of themselves are not useless - nor entirely useFUL. Sometimes, it's good to realize that the details are not the big picture. My example was meant to show how you sometimes turn movies into an issue of fact and amost science, when sometimes the point is just - how do you FEEL about the friggin movie? Then you load up everything with sarcasm so we're not even sure WHAT you're feelings are. And then you throw in some disdain and guess where that gets us?

And I know that behavior of yours is very deliberate. The basic summation of this turn of the thread is, Holden belittles group while talking movies, group gets angry, Holden belittles group for getting angry and not talking about movies, Holden = still on top! I don't think so.

Not all of us are independent know-it-alls. Not all of us went to film school, or took film class, or know the intricacies or most obscure details. And some of us don't try to. I don't know your background (not for lack of being open to learning about it) but I'm a friggin film minor but I don't think that makes me any better at analyzing or discussing, or my opinions worth more. But you behave as if whatever knowledge you've got DOES (for you). Our difference in how we approach it doesn't mean we don't do justice to film. That doesn't mean we don't love them any less. That doesn't mean we're idiots. And assuming we're idiots (wrong in and of itself) doesn't make it ok for you to treat us that way. Which, of course, you're still doing.

If you CARE and are EXCITED about some out of the way factoid that none of us respond to - tell us WHY you care and maybe we will care too, rather than treatnig us like uncooth idiots who don't banter upon film in the manner approved by the resident self-proclaimed Movie Magnate.

So what, you're brain is a cinematic, associational encyclopedia. Just realize that when you add pompousness to the mix it makes us not like neither the delivery nor the content. No, we don't all have to like each other. But we DO have to get along so that we ALL enjoy this place and THEN we'll be able to get along and do some free discussion on ... gasp ... movies.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by thmilin
And I know that behavior of yours is very deliberate.
It's no use thmmie. Through multiple PMs with Holden, one thing remains the same...and that is what you just pointed out.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
ah, sades, you know me, sucker for an @sshole. something about my judicial bent.

Yep, Holden, I'll keep delivering my hyperbole (and TYPO!)-laden truth so long as you keep delivering your snooty factoid-laden insults. Or was that insult-laden factoids?

ooh, I'm gonna pull a Holden (add THAT to the glossary!) and add to my post! woohoo! Re: all the spots where Holdy was oh-so-vicious ... I'm not saying you were entirely as vicious elsewhere as you were here, but I WILL say you have been a cad pretty much all over these boards (when saying anything more than straight facts) and as for finding them - in Sades' words: Who'd want that hideous task!

Now With Moveable Parts
Whatever in the Hell you want to call what I post, I'll keep delivering 'em.

Oh what fun!

Now With Moveable Parts
I want to know something. Have you really seen all these movies you're posting, or are you just pulling them down off of some " Based on a True Story" web-site? Because if that's the case...this thread is so over. There's not even any discussion...except for how much of an @ss you are.

Either Holden has less of a life than even myself, or he knows of some pretty obscure websites that spew ridiculously minute movie trivia on a constant basis... I hope this thread keeps up though, I enjoy reading what thmilin has to say

Yet it still goes on.
We must see how "smart" Holden is.

Smart.
I just snotted myself.
Yuck.