Infernal Affairs v. Departed
44.64%
25 votes
Infernal Affairs
55.36%
31 votes
Departed
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

In your opinion which movie is better. I say Infernal affairs for various reasons. First they are the originals, second acting by Andy Lau and Tony Lueng was better then Damon and Dicaprio duo. Also i thought Departed was too simplistic with the symbolism (the rat scene at the end). Infernal affairs was a better thriller when it came to intensity of the two leads. This is again my opinion.

I'd agree with Infernal Affairs being better, i felt The Departed aped some scenes from the original (how to spot a cop) and they didn't really fit in ro come of as original. Also Damon's character didn't really show the depth as Lau, cinematography wasn't as good and they tied the ending up too much, DiCaprio's shock death was lost after being followed with all the others and didn't quite leave that bitter twinge in my mouth.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not sure I could choose between them. I saw The Departed before Infernal Affairs, and have the feeling that had I seen Infernal Affairs first, it would be my preferred film. Infernal Affairs has to take credit for being the original...but The Departed did flesh out some stuff, I thought Jack Nicholson was better than his Infernal Affairs counterpart for one thing. The Departed is certainly a cut above most Hollywood remakes of Asian films...but then that isn't saying much given the usual quality of such films.

Shutup Jrs.

Remembered the other difference i didn't like, apart from one scene plumped in, there was none of the rivalry between the two leaders and didn't feel the bond in Sheen and DiCaprio's characters in theThe Departed.

The People's Republic of Clogher
If I'd made a Tatty 101 then Infernal Affairs would have been included. I love the film.

The Departed isn't bad, probably about as good as Scorsese could have made at this time, but I'm in no hurry to watch it again.

Maybe there should be a proviso that voters will need to have seen both films before making a decision? *cough*

both were good but I think IA may deserve a bit more credit now that The Departed won like 800 awards.

Definitely, Infernal Affairs. And if you thought the first one was good, watch the other two... it's even better -- and delves further into the characters you've come to love and hate.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Both are good, but I have to go with Infernal Affairs. It's just what I saw first and I didn't feel there was any need to remake it.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

A system of cells interlinked
Duh, they speak in Chinese...you don't expect your average yank to read and watch movies, now do ya?

I am telling you, these people need to learn to speak ENGLISH. Um...HELLO???? Stop talking like some damn Chinaman, and learn to speak The Queen's English. Meh, who cares, nothing in Asian cinema is important enough to care about, anyway, what with all the chopsticks and pagodas and stuff. I mean, wtf, who makes a silly building in which the floors get progressively smaller as one goes up. That seems like something some Chinese person would come up with or something. Don't even get me started on Japanese stuff. Sheesh, like Karate is REAL? Come on, Chuck Norris invented Karate to sell cereal in the 70s, and he got his butler, Bruce (Who, btw, was CHINESE, not japanese...see, karate = fake), to make a couple of movies to help sell the idea. I mean, everyone knows short people with black hair can't fight!!! Besides, all those silly, jumping about monkey kicks and stuff look L A M E lame. Ah, Good 'ol USA, glad we don't have any silly, pointy buildings or useless sticks to try to eat with!!!

San Dimas High School Football Rules!

I'm joking, Adi...get yer clicker off the neg rep now, Mr.!!!!

Most of us gripped by Infernal Affair's plot found it hard to stomach Scorsese's version because if you caught both films, you could tell the latter was a literal translation thinned with unimaginative blood and bang overdose. Many scenes were identical. There is nothing intelligent to it. There is no purpose to his version except a feeble attempt at passing one of the best psychological thriller ever written for cinema as his own success (an oscar finally). He butchered the original then watered it down.

The credit goes to Andrew Lau for a well written script and excellent direction. Moral ambiguity is the original theme and that is what makes Infernal Affairs a success. Scorsese simply had his characters waddle in blood violence. Departed is tailored for the west. This is just it's effect on me. I left the cinema after Departed wowing at just another remake of a foreign movie. Infernal left increasing intensity before a meltdown during it's last installation (I caught the trilogy on dvd).

But then again it's probably culture, hence cinema differences. Infernal is for the thinking audience. Departed is for mindless violence. What separates is craft and excellent stories are finished when you graze the tip of an ice berg.

Same reason why I consider In The Mood for Love an erotic poem and Lower City haunting sexual dialogue.

For popcorn mobster violence, you might as well try Sexy Beast on dvd. I might as well go for a Jackie Chan cop story.

I shunned Police Academy and look forward to catching Hot Fuzz for a good laugh. On awards and trophies, Scorsese wouldn't have had a shot if this year's contenders weren't weak. Among his recent works that are decent would be Aviator. Departed is just bad taste.

And no offence taken from you Sedai, the chinese knows english.

A system of cells interlinked
Hopefully you understood my post for the joke that it was. I am well aware that Chinese people can and do speak English. My joke was poking fun at Adidasss, and is a long running bit of fun between the two of us concerning subtitles. I actually study the Japanese language, and have a tremendous respect for the difficulty of learning another language.

As for The Departed, it's far from being mindless, and is a well done remake of a stellar film. I don't consider The Departed to be better, just different. Comparing it to a Jackie Chan cop story is just silly, and makes no sense, at all. Sorry, I consider myself part of the "thinking audience", and I liked The Departed a whole hell of a lot.

Police Academy? Lost me there, not sure how it applies...

In the Mood for Love is fantastic, and, a must see, in my opinion...

I have a confession to make, I stopped watching The Departed after about 40 minutes. I started laughing around the time when Di Caprio was being literally coerced into becoming an undercover cop...I should probably finish watching it just so I can dump on the Oscars some more...but frankly, I watch films because of the story, and the story has already been told...same reason why I never watched Vanilla Sky...a remake by default is not a "great" film, if nothing else simply because it lacks originality.